Buying Snowboard as gift, What Size??

Old February 25th 04, 11:22 PM
Buzzzz

Default Buying Snowboard as gift, What Size??

Hi, I am buying a snowboard for my gf. She is 5'3" and weighs 115
pounds. I can't find any info on what size board to get. She is a
beginer. Any help would be appreciated.
Old February 25th 04, 11:54 PM
Mike T

Hi, I am buying a snowboard for my gf. She is 5'3" and weighs 115
pounds. I can't find any info on what size board to get. She is a
beginer. Any help would be appreciated.

Just as important, what's her foot size?

Mike T

Old February 26th 04, 03:54 PM
Mike T

Size 6

Nice and small - get her a women-specific board. The main differences
with women's boards are (if they are well designed):

1) Narrower waist, for easier turning with smaller feet
2) Softer flex than a "men's" board in same length. Or alternatively,
longer length than "men's" board with similar flex. Longer and softer
means the board will be stable without being difficult to turn.

The correct length would vary depending on the model, anything from 140
for stiffer boards to low 150's for softer boards. I'd generally
recommend a women's model that's in the high 140's and pretty soft given
her dimensions (ht/Wt/foot) and assuming she's a beginner. If she's a
hard charger, go a little stiffer (but still no men's stiff at 115
pounds unless she charges really hard!)

Mike T

Old February 26th 04, 05:16 PM
Jason Watkins

Hi, I am buying a snowboard for my gf. She is 5'3" and weighs 115
pounds. I can't find any info on what size board to get. She is a
beginer. Any help would be appreciated.

My girlfriend is around 5' and 95 lbs. She rides a burton feather 143,
and is pretty happy with it. I'd suggest something around 145 for your
girl. Width matters too, you don't want your toes or heels sticking
way out where they can drag.

Boards can be pretty personal... keep the recipit, she might want to
switch it out for something else.
Old February 26th 04, 05:53 PM
corbeau

In article , mtovino@yaw-
who.com says...
Size 6

Nice and small - get her a women-specific board. The main differences
with women's boards are (if they are well designed):

1) Narrower waist, for easier turning with smaller feet
2) Softer flex than a "men's" board in same length. Or alternatively,
longer length than "men's" board with similar flex. Longer and softer
means the board will be stable without being difficult to turn.

The correct length would vary depending on the model, anything from 140
for stiffer boards to low 150's for softer boards. I'd generally
recommend a women's model that's in the high 140's and pretty soft given
her dimensions (ht/Wt/foot) and assuming she's a beginner. If she's a
hard charger, go a little stiffer (but still no men's stiff at 115
pounds unless she charges really hard!)

Mike T

This is exactly what my wife did for her first board. She's 5'3" and
100lbs. She got an Option Paloma 147 that has worked very well for her.
I'm guessing any of the similar midrange woman specific all mountain
boards would have worked just as well. It's very light and flexy
compared to my boards. The light part is great because invariably, I
end up carrying it to/from car. LOL

C.
--
-she ain't revved til the rods is thrown
Old February 27th 04, 02:12 PM
Tiburon27

It doesn't quite have the same "wow" factor as getting a new snowboard but
why not get her a gift certificate for the local board shop and then you can
go in together and pick one that she likes.