Why don't more skiers use RSN?

Old December 1st 03, 12:01 AM
George Cleveland

Default Why don't more skiers use RSN?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:23:39 -0500, Jeff Potter
wrote:

I mentioned several factors that all intertwine to make a good ski world:

*Snowfall
*Days below freezing
*Average snowpack depth

I suppose the snowpack is Factor #1. Anyone have a measure for this?

NOW...we then move to the next tier of important factors which are the MARGINAL
areas. The stats for friggin' BUFFALO, NY, are probably scary every year for
mere mortals. But what about Ohio? Or southern Michigan? Chicago environs? The
further out from the iceboxes that the snow goes the more people turn into
skiers! ---Especially if the snowzones start to include Metro areas like
Detroit. Detroit and Lansing each had good snow and a good 4 races per year in
the early 80's. Now zero races, zero reliable snow.

--

Jeff Potter
****

There are lots of variables which aren't included in the snowfall totals. A
few years ago snow was sparse until the last part of March when we got
slammed big time and ended up with above average snow for the year. Also a
person has to take into consideration what the average temperature was. It
doesn't do much good if you get half a dozen 4" snowfalls inJanuary if the
temps are in the 30s and 40s between them.

g.c.
Old December 1st 03, 12:42 AM
GR

Geee..... I never thought Buffalo had that much snow! Down south of the city
is a big snow belt that gets it big off of Lake Erie (just about the same as
Tug Hill area off the East of Lake Ontario), but the city itself isn't so
much snow.. I came from Buffalo, Now in Rochester NY, and I look to the
North (Canada) for more impressive snows.
Probably any place that gets a prevailing breeze over an unfrozen body of
water will get a bunch of snow.
(or the other lake snow method which is 2 part; 1) a lot of snow falls on
the frozen lake, 2) later a big wind blows the snow from the lake and dumps
it when the elevation changes and disturbs the wind.)gr

.. .

Old December 1st 03, 01:40 PM
Jeff Potter

So are there regional studies that include those more relevant stats?

Maybe this is all old hat but my memory sucks. I thought we would've sorted this
out years ago. : ) ...Are winters getting worse for skiing? Meaning, are those
relevant stats getting worse for more and more of the country? I'm guessing the
decline started about 1982. ??

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old December 1st 03, 11:38 PM
Jim Farrell

J999w wrote:

A rough estimate of the % americans XC ski:

1.5million skiers / 297.7 million US Pop =.005 ..... 1/2 of one percent.

According to a recent survey conducted in Minnesota, 30% claimed nordic
skiing amoung thier 'interests.' That would be 1.5 nordic ski
interested parties in MN alone. No follow up on how much they actually
participate . . . I can't believe that many really get out every year.

Old December 2nd 03, 10:53 PM
PBDoyle

The simple answer to Jeff Potter's original question is probably what
a number of posts have stated, albeit in different ways: most people
are not aware of usenet or believe that it is "too much trouble."
There is also more than a little bit of truth in the idea that many
skiiers are not very interested in typing out part of a discussion.
I wonder how many folk just audit. Though much can be learned from
reading posts relevant to an interest, actual posting is unnecessary
if one does not want to have an opinion about everything. I lurk here
regularly, but rarely post.
In addition, and I have seen this next more than once or twice in this
group, not everyone posting is receptive/supportive of newbies -
though the large majority is. An example, fairly recently, told a
person new to this fine sport that he was at the wrong group if he
wanted info about touring (Remember, touring for most new people is
going to the local ski park with some friends and hopping in the
tracks for a couple of hours; it is not backcountry or off-trail. This
group is listed as rec.skiing.nordic, not rec.skiing.nordic.racing
only.) It may only take one incident like that to insure that a person
does not return for a second post, despite the majority of supportive
easily fixable.
Old December 3rd 03, 01:34 AM
Jeff Potter

Thanks for the thoughts!

I still think about the stats I see about how 30% of Americans are
'computer elite' using the Net each day. And about how popular posting
via blogs is now. There are millions posting elsewhere...just not to the
biggest, easiest resource...

As for intimidation, I agree with you that our primary aim is open access
XC, with a big YES to all skiers remotely related to our topic. There's
no reason for anything else. Sure we get into details sometimes but big
picture openness is the only root to the sport. As I hope is clear from
my clowning around: my promotion of backyard training and wearing old
clothes or everyday clothes while skiing is meant to show that ALL SKIING
IS GOOD SKIING. We gotta make sure the public realizes that great fun is
right out your, uh, backdoor. No lycra or HRMs needed.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old December 3rd 03, 02:49 AM
J999w

I like the specialty forums such as the Ultimate Subaru Message Board. How can
you beat animated smiley faces and such ?

The old :^] just doesn't have the same flare it used to.

jw
milwaukee