Why don't more skiers use RSN?

Old November 28th 03, 03:29 PM
Leland Yee

Default Why don't more skiers use RSN?

There are 47 Yahoo groups related to x-c skiing. The only one I have
participated in is xcchicago. It's pretty helpful for N.Illinois, S.
Wisconsin, and S. Michigan. Good place to find out where there is
snow and who is grooming. (I live in New Hampshire now.:-)

Leland

(J999w) wrote in message ...
Are there any Yahoo groups related to XC skiing?

Never looked myself, but there are lots out there for other subjects.

jw
milwaukee
(been watching the Fairbanks web cam ... -15F !)

Old November 28th 03, 10:10 PM
taywood

I've started a discussion group for working on making rec.skiing.nordic
better for more skiers (? or maybe creating something else better for

more):

Thanks for the offer Ken, but no thanks.
I'm sure you mean well but this is our Group.
I hope we're not going to lose your posts here.

I dont know the reason for the OP but I dont
believe he was asking for an alternative.
Mike

Old November 28th 03, 10:20 PM
David Dermott

On 27 Nov 2003, J999w wrote:

Are there any Yahoo groups related to XC skiing?

Never looked myself, but there are lots out there for other subjects.

There's one called Nordicskiing (imagine that!)

There's even less activity on it than RSN !

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old November 28th 03, 10:46 PM
J999w

Yahoo groups related to x-c skiing. The only one I have
participated in is xcchicago. It's pretty helpful for N.Illinois, S.
Wisconsin, and S. Michigan.

Interesting. I'll check that out, but will be posting local condx here first !

We need a FAQ !

jw
milwaukee
Old November 29th 03, 12:56 AM
Kenneth Salzberg

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Bob wrote:

My guess is that of US computer users, less than 1% even know that usenet
exists. Of those that know of usenet, many are reppeled by the ng noise. I
get the impression that many of the people who post on rsn have been using
computers before the big boom of the WWW. I'll bet some here (not me) were
on usenet before GUI OSs.

Some of us were reading and posting to listservs not only before GUI OSs,
but before usenet. I got into the habit of reading my skiing posts as a
member of the the e-mail list (when mitch was running it out of cornell),
and never have liked using usenet. IF you get me started, I'll bore you
with stories about having to know the best bounce sites to send e-mails to
particular places - and how to compose the "address" to get them there.

-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old November 29th 03, 02:26 AM
Marsh Jones

Kenneth Salzberg wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Bob wrote:

My guess is that of US computer users, less than 1% even know that usenet
exists. Of those that know of usenet, many are reppeled by the ng noise. I
get the impression that many of the people who post on rsn have been using
computers before the big boom of the WWW. I'll bet some here (not me) were
on usenet before GUI OSs.

Some of us were reading and posting to listservs not only before GUI OSs,
but before usenet. I got into the habit of reading my skiing posts as a
member of the the e-mail list (when mitch was running it out of cornell),
and never have liked using usenet. IF you get me started, I'll bore you
with stories about having to know the best bounce sites to send e-mails to
particular places - and how to compose the "address" to get them there.

-Ken

Gee, someone else who goes back to the days of 'bang' addressing. These
young whippersnappers don't know what it's like to have to know not only
the address, but also all the routing stops along the way...

Marsh

Old November 29th 03, 03:07 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

Jeff, if your ISP's usenet feed is unreliable and you don't like
the alternative free feeds, don't forget there is always the e-mail
version. I almost never read rsn via usenet. I get all the posts
by e-mail from the nordic-ski list now run out of piper.hamline.edu.
I also post via e-mail through that route. (This message, for example,
I am sending via e-mail.)

-Mitch

Old November 29th 03, 03:27 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Kenneth Salzberg wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Bob wrote:

My guess is that of US computer users, less than 1% even know that usenet
exists. Of those that know of usenet, many are reppeled by the ng noise. I
get the impression that many of the people who post on rsn have been using
computers before the big boom of the WWW. I'll bet some here (not me) were
on usenet before GUI OSs.

Some of us were reading and posting to listservs not only before GUI OSs,
but before usenet. I got into the habit of reading my skiing posts as a
member of the the e-mail list (when mitch was running it out of cornell),
and never have liked using usenet. IF you get me started, I'll bore you
with stories about having to know the best bounce sites to send e-mails to
particular places - and how to compose the "address" to get them there.

I guess I read this comment differently. When I read "before GUI OSs"
I thought of "before GUI OSs existed" rather than "before GUI OSs were
in common use on the internet". The difference is significant. I saw
my first GUI OS on an Apple Lisa probably somewhere around 1981 or 1982.
I didn't get the chance to work in front of a GUI workstation until 1985
on a DEC VAXstation II, which I had accessing usenet roundaboutly by
mid-1986.

Based on what I read at that time I had just missed experiencing the
usenet event called the "great renaming" in which all groups were re-named
into new hierarchies such as comp, rec, news, sci, etc. Obviously a
reorganization brought about by an increasing number of groups. I highly
doubt you will find enough people on rsn to count to 2 digits (base 10)
who were on usenet before 1982. It might be a stretch but I think we
just might find that many who date to 1986.

As for "before usenet", wouldn't that take you back to mid-70s or so?
I doubt you could count enough rsn-ers to fill the fingers on one hand
who were on uucp-net by mid-70s.

But I could be wrong! :-)

-Mitch

Old November 29th 03, 03:28 AM
Chequama Mama

I think that as a whole nordic skiers actually ski, and make things fit
around skiing.

I also mountain bike, and prettty thoroughly read and participate in the
singlespeed mountain bike board over at mtbr.com. Some of the active
posters over there ride a lot, but there are also a large number that
just sit around, don't really ride that much and have desk jobs that
bore them to death and so they spend there time posting on the message
board.

Most cross country skiers that are "hardcore" enough to want to read a
newsgroup like this one, don't really have that much time, because they
train a lot

I would guess that maybe 10% of the people on the singlespeed board ride
as much as most of us train ( unless I'm overestimating how much y'all
train)

In short, I think that all of my drivel compounds down to: Most skiers
would rather ski (or train) than talk about skiing.

Paul

--
Remove the caps to reply
Nordic Nuts