Follow up to east coast skiing

Old February 19th 04, 10:29 AM
Greg Hilton

Default Follow up to east coast skiing

thanks for all the info and that dweeb site, very useful.

I've cut the choice down based on under 4 hours drive from Boston
Airport and then onto CT.

So my choice of mountains appears to be:

Berkshire East, MA
Killington, VT
Okemo, VT
Magic, VT
Stratton, VT

Can anyone comment on which of the above has the best snow, is anyone
likely to get more new snow then others if a storm hits?

Given I'd enjoy glades and blacks, would Killington be the best bet of
the above list for a Monday's skiing trip?

regards,

Greg
Old February 19th 04, 08:22 PM
Jon Bond

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
thanks for all the info and that dweeb site, very useful.

I've cut the choice down based on under 4 hours drive from Boston
Airport and then onto CT.

So my choice of mountains appears to be:

Berkshire East, MA
Killington, VT
Okemo, VT
Magic, VT
Stratton, VT

Can anyone comment on which of the above has the best snow, is anyone
likely to get more new snow then others if a storm hits?

Given I'd enjoy glades and blacks, would Killington be the best bet of
the above list for a Monday's skiing trip?

regards,

Greg

Okemo has some of the best bumps; killington has a mix but lies like a rug
about their snow quality and amount; stratton has beautiful grooming, but
its EXPENSIVE; and I've never been to berkshire or magic so I can't comment
on those.

The past few weeks have been kind of dry up here, so I wouldn't be expecting
great snow. Right now in boston there's just ocassional patches of ice on
the ground, and thats it.

Jon Bond

Old February 20th 04, 12:58 AM
JQ

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
thanks for all the info and that dweeb site, very useful.

I've cut the choice down based on under 4 hours drive from Boston
Airport and then onto CT.

So my choice of mountains appears to be:

Berkshire East, MA
Killington, VT
Okemo, VT
Magic, VT
Stratton, VT

Can anyone comment on which of the above has the best snow, is anyone
likely to get more new snow then others if a storm hits?

Given I'd enjoy glades and blacks, would Killington be the best bet of
the above list for a Monday's skiing trip?

regards,

Greg

From your list of choices I would pick Killington, only because no matter
how bad things get they will have something worth skiing and if things are
good there is more than enough that will keep you interested.

JQ
Dancing On the edge

Old February 20th 04, 12:05 PM
Mary Malmros

Greg Hilton writes:

thanks for all the info and that dweeb site, very useful.

I've cut the choice down based on under 4 hours drive from Boston
Airport and then onto CT.

So my choice of mountains appears to be:

Berkshire East, MA

It's a small local hill (1000 foot vertical), although it's got some
real pitch. "Steep and cheap" is how us local jokers refer to it.
You'd like the steeps and the price, but there are too few trails to
keep you really entertained.

Killington, VT

Longest drive but probably the best bet for you.

Okemo, VT

Slightly closer than Killington, much smaller.

Magic, VT

Dunno.

Stratton, VT

This place gets deservedly high marks for how well they take care of
their snow. It is also closest on your list except for the BEast.
It's very pricey, though, and the horrible condoized faux village at
the base drives me nutty. You also need to take a shuttle bus from
the parking area, whereas if you get to K-Mart early on a weekday,
you'll be a short walk from the base lodge.

Can anyone comment on which of the above has the best snow, is anyone
likely to get more new snow then others if a storm hits?

Impossible to tell who will get more snow if there's a storm. Some
storms are coastal and track south, others go in this sorta pattern
from Albany northeast and miss the southernmost parts of VT.

Given I'd enjoy glades and blacks, would Killington be the best bet of
the above list for a Monday's skiing trip?

Probably.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old February 20th 04, 05:39 PM
Dave Stallard

Mary Malmros wrote:

Stratton, VT

This place gets deservedly high marks for how well they take care of
their snow. It is also closest on your list except for the BEast.
It's very pricey, though, and the horrible condoized faux village at
the base drives me nutty.

It's a Vail wannabe! I mean it's got the same clock tower and
everything! So it's an imitation of an imitation, if you will.

But seriously, Mary, Stratton's base village is not that bad, in
relative terms. Nothing, I mean NOTHING, is as bad as the real thing:
the dreadful, circular, entrapping Vile Village.

Dave
Old February 20th 04, 08:10 PM
Sue

In message , Dave Stallard
writes

But seriously, Mary, Stratton's base village is not that bad, in
relative terms. Nothing, I mean NOTHING, is as bad as the real thing:
the dreadful, circular, entrapping Vile Village.

You poor innocent - look:

http://www.flaine.com/index.jsp?c=12348

--
Sue ];(
Old February 20th 04, 11:56 PM
Mary Malmros

Dave Stallard writes:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Stratton, VT

This place gets deservedly high marks for how well they take care of
their snow. It is also closest on your list except for the BEast.
It's very pricey, though, and the horrible condoized faux village at
the base drives me nutty.

It's a Vail wannabe! I mean it's got the same clock tower and
everything! So it's an imitation of an imitation, if you will.

But seriously, Mary, Stratton's base village is not that bad, in
relative terms. Nothing, I mean NOTHING, is as bad as the real thing:
the dreadful, circular, entrapping Vile Village.

It's been a while since I was there, so I don't know about that.
It's just such an Epcot experience, though. I mean, I'll go to
Epcot and have fun visiting the pavilions, but I won't kid myself
that I'm in Mexico or Chna or Morocco or whatever. Same goes for
Vail or Stratton. It ain't a ski village, it's a prop, and while
it's probably just fine if you've never seen a real ski town, it's
kind of depressing if you have.

--