salomon bindings / burton boards

Old December 17th 03, 03:08 AM
Joe

Default salomon bindings / burton boards

I need some help. i'm running salomon medium spx5 bindings on a burton
custom. i wear size 9 boots. i have noticed that to get any response
with heelside turns i have to crank my forward lean all the way down
on the rear binding. my toeside turns are quick and snappy but the
transition to heelside is a little slow and awkward feeling. i feel
like my boots are centered too far towards the toeside edge of the
board which makes toeside turns instantaneous but heelside alot more
effort, in other words just the slightest toeside pressure gives me a
quick response (what i like) but heelside requires the movement of my
whole leg (and body) just to get the same kind of resonse. the disks
that came with the bindings won't allow me to shift the bindings
towards either edge only front to rear. my sons burton mission
bingings allow side to side adjustment. does anyone know if i can get
some replacement discs for my spx bindings that will allow for side to
side adjustment on the burton 3 hole pattern? i have salomon boots and
i love these bindings and want to keep them.
joe
Old December 17th 03, 03:15 AM
Juan Parra

besides modifying or changing your
discs to center those bindings...you might
not have enough leverage, meaning that the
board is too wide for you.
what size is your board?

juani

om...

Old December 17th 03, 07:31 AM
Arvin Chang

(Joe) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I've owned both the Burton Mission bindings (two seeason ago) and the
Salomon SP4s (now). I actually had the exact oppositve problem... I
had Burton Missions on a Salomon board and wanted shift the bindings
along the longitudinal axis (nose to tail - you seem to be calling
this front to rear). However, the Burton plates only allowed for
toeside/heelside adjustment... to fix this I simply rotated the plate
90 degree and voila! Now I'm not sure what disk your SP5 came with,
but I just checked my SP4's and they can definitely do this... even
more so they looked like they are designed with this in mind because
the angle indicators have "0" degrees in all four directions...
compared to my Burtons which I had to "scratch/cut" in new angle
markers at the 90 degree locations. Are the SPX5 disc unable to be
rotated 90 degrees?

I do actually feel a little like you in that my heelside transition
doesn't feel as instantaeous as my toeside... slow and awkward even...
maybe I should try it too... however - reading your post, one thing
that caught my eye is that your are increasing the forward lean on
your *back* foot. Increasing the forward lean of your highback does
help your heelsides (I have mine nearly at the max). However, when
initiating you heelside turn, you are mainly using your *front*
binding to bring the heelside edge (right behind the nose) into the
snow. So you would need to crank up the forward lean on the front
binding to transition to heelsides more quickly - especially if the
board isn't particularly torsionally stiff (although I think the
recent Burton Custom models are pretty good).

Anyways... let me know how it goes... good luck!
--Arvin
Old December 17th 03, 11:42 AM
Joe

(Arvin Chang) wrote in message . com...
I've owned both the Burton Mission bindings (two seeason ago) and the
Salomon SP4s (now). I actually had the exact oppositve problem... I
had Burton Missions on a Salomon board and wanted shift the bindings
along the longitudinal axis (nose to tail - you seem to be calling
this front to rear). However, the Burton plates only allowed for
toeside/heelside adjustment... to fix this I simply rotated the plate
90 degree and voila! Now I'm not sure what disk your SP5 came with,
but I just checked my SP4's and they can definitely do this... even
more so they looked like they are designed with this in mind because
the angle indicators have "0" degrees in all four directions...
compared to my Burtons which I had to "scratch/cut" in new angle
markers at the 90 degree locations. Are the SPX5 disc unable to be
rotated 90 degrees?

Arvin,
The binding disks have 2 (side to side) x 3 (frnt to rear) evenly
spaced rows. They will adjust toe/heel with a 4 hole pattern and the
middle row allows you to rotate 90 degree as you said and use the
burton pattern but as you know the way they are slotted, when you do
this the toe/heel adjustment becomes an frnt/rear adjustment.

I do actually feel a little like you in that my heelside transition
doesn't feel as instantaeous as my toeside... slow and awkward even...
maybe I should try it too... however - reading your post, one thing
that caught my eye is that your are increasing the forward lean on
your *back* foot. Increasing the forward lean of your highback does
help your heelsides (I have mine nearly at the max). However, when
initiating you heelside turn, you are mainly using your *front*
binding to bring the heelside edge (right behind the nose) into the
snow. So you would need to crank up the forward lean on the front
binding to transition to heelsides more quickly - especially if the
board isn't particularly torsionally stiff (although I think the
recent Burton Custom models are pretty good).

Arvin,
Are you sayin that heelside turns are initiated by the front foot and
toeside by the rear foot??? If this is the case I may be doing
something wrong. I can get good response on my heelside they way i'm
doing it now it just feels too awkward... too much work compared to
the other way.

Old December 17th 03, 03:30 PM
srl

[...]

I own a pair of sp3s and had the same need for heel/toe adjustment as Juan,
and as Arvin suggests I rotated the plates 90degs (I had a Salomon board).
I think the problem is that due to the lack of rotational symetry in the
Burton 3D system, the plates are only compatible with Burton boards at one
angle, and unfortunately that's the position that gives you tip/tail
adjustment but not heel/toe.

Old December 18th 03, 03:03 AM
Arvin Chang

(Joe) wrote in message . com...
(Arvin Chang) wrote in message . com...
compared to my Burtons which I had to "scratch/cut" in new angle
markers at the 90 degree locations. Are the SPX5 disc unable to be
rotated 90 degrees?

Arvin,
The binding disks have 2 (side to side) x 3 (frnt to rear) evenly
spaced rows. They will adjust toe/heel with a 4 hole pattern and the
middle row allows you to rotate 90 degree as you said and use the
burton pattern but as you know the way they are slotted, when you do
this the toe/heel adjustment becomes an frnt/rear adjustment.

Mmm... I'm having a bit of trouble visualing the problem there are
like this

xxxxx xx0xx

xx0xx xxxxx

xxxxx xx0xx

I see, rotating 90 degrees doesn't quite work. Hmm... maybe get
generic discs...

Arvin,
Are you sayin that heelside turns are initiated by the front foot and
toeside by the rear foot??? If this is the case I may be doing
something wrong. I can get good response on my heelside they way i'm
doing it now it just feels too awkward... too much work compared to
the other way.

No... I'm saying all turns are initiated by the front foot (well more
so than the rear foot). When you start a carve the majority of the
weight is focused towards the leading edge of the board, as the carve
progresses you should feel the main "contact" point roll down the
length of the edge towards the tail of the board, right?

While I believe myself to be quite good at carving... I'm not an
expert instructor so I'm not the authority on the subject. However, I
see the response difference is based on how power is applied in the
two directions.

One toeside, you small shin movement push the upper strap binding and
also flexes your boot uppers which transfers through the base of the
boots (assuming you have a stiff boots ankle section), right? Both
your upper strap and your boots are extremely snug against your
leg/shin so slight pressure is immediately transferred to the board.

On heelside, you shin movement pulls up on the lower strap and pushes
back on the highback. Now since the highback is not likely to be
immediately pressed into your calf... there is a slight delay as you
unflex your legs from:

* // *||
this * // to this * ||
* ==== * ====

With the *'s being your highback. As you can see, during that time,
you aren't getting full leverage for your heelside turn, hence the
slightly slower response on initiating the edge. I couldn't find an
easy solution to this on soft boots, I was told hard boots was the way
to go and hence why I'm trying them out this year. However, try
increasing forward lean on your front binding highback first.

I think this is an important point many people miss about turning...
the first is that you aren't explicitly pushing the back of the board
side to side (into a slide). The second is that you aren't really
directing your weight onto the toe or heelside to start the carve...
you are tilting the board on it's side and thereby forcing all your
weight on to the edge. To see how this works... get a empty cd case...
and put your hands across it like the feet of your snowboard (you
don't have to angle them). First try pressing on the fingertip edge as
hard as a possible (don't need to go overboard). Now try the same
thing, but this time lift the palm end with your thumbs. Notice how
much easier it is to get good pressure on the edge (since Pressure =
Force/Area and by tilting the board, you significantly decrease the
area, hence increasing the pressure). That's just how I see it... I
could be wrong.

--Arvin
Old December 18th 03, 10:48 PM
T Ryan Cleary

Arvin Chang wrote:

The binding disks have 2 (side to side) x 3 (frnt to rear) evenly
spaced rows. They will adjust toe/heel with a 4 hole pattern and the
middle row allows you to rotate 90 degree as you said and use the
burton pattern but as you know the way they are slotted, when you do
this the toe/heel adjustment becomes an frnt/rear adjustment.

Mmm... I'm having a bit of trouble visualing the problem there are
like this

xxxxx xx0xx

xx0xx xxxxx

xxxxx xx0xx

I see, rotating 90 degrees doesn't quite work. Hmm... maybe get
generic discs...

The ASCII art is giving me a sense of deja vu...

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ing.google.com

I've got a few Salomon bindings...S5, SPX5, and SP4.

The mounting disks look about the same. As you said, you can have
either edge-to-edge or nose-to-tail adjustment on non-Burton (4x4
mounting) boards. Or you can only have nose-to-tail adjustment on
Burton (3D mounting) boards.

On your particular bindings, can you adjust the highback mounting
relative to the base of the binding? Some have a couple sets of holes
for connecting the highback, to accomodate different sized boots. I'm
not home right now, and I don't remember which of bindings have that
adjustment. (I have a pair of Drakes that definitely have it, but I'm
not sure about Salomon.)

-Ryan