word of warning

Old March 1st 04, 10:55 AM
PG

Default word of warning

"AC" wrote in message
| "PG" wrote in -
| berlin.de:
| SNIP
|
| Oh that's so funny. Wherever you're from - and I doubt it's the UK -
do
| us all a favour and go back there.
|
| 'fraid to say that a spot of googling suggests that he is sadly from
the
| UK. Appeared in about '96 as , sprouting forth
in his
| inimitable style on pigeon shooting, bombing people, military history
and
| the like. A little more digging suggests he's a programmer, speaks
Japanese
| and even gives a contact address....

And, surprise surprise.... drives a Ferrari. Still have a feeling he
doesn't actually originate from the UK though, even if he lived there
once.
Pete

Old March 1st 04, 10:58 AM
PG

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
| On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:05:14 +0100, "PG" wrote:
|
| snip
|
| This is why they're cracking down, moron. Accidents decreased by 30%
in
| the first month of operation. Coincidence, I suppose? And as for
| fatalities, yes they've been too high in France. However in terms of
the
| total number of incidents per car on the road, the UK is well out in
| front.
|

| Indeed. The UK *is* well out in front, but not, I suspect, in the ay
| you meant..
|
| In terms of deaths & serious injuries per million vehicle kilometres (
| a much more useful measure than per car), the UK has had the fewest of
| ALL countries where records are kept in each and every one of the last
| 20+ years.

Yes. I was referring to minor incidents, not resulting in death or
serious injury, per road (vehicle) user. I've seen some surprising stats
(lies, damned or otherwise, I don't know, I didn't collate them) that
indicate as much.
Pete

Old March 1st 04, 11:33 PM
Alex Heney

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:58:41 +0100, "PG" wrote:

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
.. .
| On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:05:14 +0100, "PG" wrote:
|
| snip
|
| This is why they're cracking down, moron. Accidents decreased by 30%
in
| the first month of operation. Coincidence, I suppose? And as for
| fatalities, yes they've been too high in France. However in terms of
the
| total number of incidents per car on the road, the UK is well out in
| front.
|

| Indeed. The UK *is* well out in front, but not, I suspect, in the ay
| you meant..
|
| In terms of deaths & serious injuries per million vehicle kilometres (
| a much more useful measure than per car), the UK has had the fewest of
| ALL countries where records are kept in each and every one of the last
| 20+ years.

Yes. I was referring to minor incidents, not resulting in death or
serious injury, per road (vehicle) user. I've seen some surprising stats
(lies, damned or otherwise, I don't know, I didn't collate them) that
indicate as much.

OK.

I haven't seen any figures on those, and I suspect they would not be
very reliable, since there is no requirement to report them to anybody
in most countries.

I know that in this country (UK), you only have to tell the police if
injury occurs, or if property has been damaged where the owner is not
contactable at the scene.

And while technically you are supposed to tell your insurance company
about any incident, I don't imagine many people do unless they are
making a claim.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
A committee has 6 or more legs and no brain.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old March 3rd 04, 02:42 PM
funkraum

Ace wrote:
wrote:

As soon as time allows I shall post a guide for foreign drivers
speeding through France taking into account the recent changes.

Do that. I'll post mine now:

Rule 1. Have Swiss plates.

That's all, folks...

Excellent. Usefulness exceeded only by diplomatic plates. A not
inconsiderable number of years back while living in Verbier . . . .a
friend of mine . . . . . had diplomatic plates on his car and
boy-O-boy did we have some fun with those.

Proceed with caution when using Swiss driving licenses, however,
there is reciprocity between France and Switzerland on driving license
endorsement.

Old March 8th 04, 08:53 AM
Ace

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:42:11 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

Proceed with caution when using Swiss driving licenses, however,
there is reciprocity between France and Switzerland on driving license
endorsement.

Not sure how that could possibly work, as there's no concept of
endorsement or points on a Swiss licence.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 8th 04, 09:32 AM
Alex Heney

wrote:

Proceed with caution when using Swiss driving licenses, however,
there is reciprocity between France and Switzerland on driving license
endorsement.

Not sure how that could possibly work, as there's no concept of
endorsement or points on a Swiss licence.

Are you serious?

How on earth do they cope then, if they cannot record and deal with
repeated minor infringements?

It seems crazy to have no way of imposing cumulative punishments
potentially leading to a ban.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
"Keyboard? How quaint!" - Scotty

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old March 8th 04, 09:48 AM
Ace

wrote:

Proceed with caution when using Swiss driving licenses, however,
there is reciprocity between France and Switzerland on driving license
endorsement.

Not sure how that could possibly work, as there's no concept of
endorsement or points on a Swiss licence.

Are you serious?

Yupp.

How on earth do they cope then, if they cannot record and deal with
repeated minor infringements?

Who says they don't record them? Licenses and car registrations are
all done by the police, independently in each canton, so it's quite
easy for them. Not sure about cross-canton issues though.

It seems crazy to have no way of imposing cumulative punishments
potentially leading to a ban.

I'm given to understand that persistant offenders may have their
licences removed, but there are no hard & fast rules about this, as
far as I know.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 8th 04, 10:13 AM
'Hog

Alex Heney wrote:

It seems crazy to have no way of imposing cumulative punishments
potentially leading to a ban.

Are you related to Joe Stalin?

--
'Hog

Old March 8th 04, 11:17 AM
Ian Spare

Alex Heney wrote:

How on earth do they cope then, if they cannot record and deal with
repeated minor infringements?

They start with short bans straight away and suspended sentances for all
but trivial speeding. At the trivial end they have fixed penalty fines
sent to you. Pretty much the same in Germany in fact.

It seems crazy to have no way of imposing cumulative punishments
potentially leading to a ban.

It would be :-)

Ian