A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » European Ski Resorts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 19th 03, 06:40 AM
Simon Watkins
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...

Need to make a decision by lunch-time today. We are booked from tomorrow
fpr a week in La Plagne. Thanks for previous replies a few days ago. So
far, apartment and ferry booking have cost £540 odd but if we go to La
Plagne to ski, it's going to cost us in the order of a further £800-£900 in
lift passes for my family, equipment hire, fuel, tolls etc + spending money.

As much as it breaks my heart to kiss goodbye to the £540 odd that we'll
lose by not driving down for our trip, is the skiing at La Plagne over the
next week going to be of suffiicient quality to justify a further £1000
investment? My gut feeling is not - very few runs open at the moment, some
very cold weather forecast next week, but no significant snow according to
snow-forecast.com. However they are showing 6 cm on Saturday night, and 5cm
on Sunday night - enough to open up the resort?

Decisions decisions!

Simon


Ads
  #2  
Old December 19th 03, 07:15 AM
wedderburne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...


"Simon Watkins" wrote in message
...
| Need to make a decision by lunch-time today. We are booked from
tomorrow
| fpr a week in La Plagne. Thanks for previous replies a few days ago.
So
| far, apartment and ferry booking have cost £540 odd but if we go to La
| Plagne to ski, it's going to cost us in the order of a further
£800-£900 in
| lift passes for my family, equipment hire, fuel, tolls etc + spending
money.
|
| As much as it breaks my heart to kiss goodbye to the £540 odd that
we'll
| lose by not driving down for our trip, is the skiing at La Plagne over
the
| next week going to be of suffiicient quality to justify a further
£1000
| investment? My gut feeling is not - very few runs open at the moment,
some
| very cold weather forecast next week, but no significant snow
according to
| snow-forecast.com. However they are showing 6 cm on Saturday night,
and 5cm
| on Sunday night - enough to open up the resort?
|
| Decisions decisions!

Depends what you need, skiing levels, etc

..... yesterday there was a claimed 75 cms with 15cms at resort level.
Will have an update in next hour or so but just a couple of cms
overnight, won't have made much difference. Cannons have been going
strong last night in Les Arcs, as in La Plagne no doubt. 32/109 lifts,
25/128 runs open (but just 4 reds and no blacks).

As you're mobile you could always spend a day or two in Espace Killy,
45/50 mins drive.

Pete


  #3  
Old December 19th 03, 07:50 AM
Greg Hilton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...

Hmm, tough choice, stay in the UK with fog, rain, perhaps some snow Sunday
or GO SKIING.

As you have a car you can travel around a bit for variety.

I'd say go. If there isn't much open, why not do something different? X-
country, learn to snowboard, snowkite, there is also a toboggan in La
Plagne I believe - not sure if it will be open!

If it's cold with artificial snow they could also open up some more.

remember a bad days skiing is better than a good days work!

regards,

Greg

  #4  
Old December 19th 03, 08:34 AM
wedderburne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...


"wedderburne" wrote in message
...
|
| "Simon Watkins" wrote in message
| ...

| .... yesterday there was a claimed 75 cms with 15cms at resort level.
| Will have an update in next hour or so but just a couple of cms
| overnight, won't have made much difference. Cannons have been going
| strong last night in Les Arcs, as in La Plagne no doubt. 32/109 lifts,
| 25/128 runs open (but just 4 reds and no blacks).
|
| As you're mobile you could always spend a day or two in Espace Killy,
| 45/50 mins drive.

Now 80 cms at top, 19 cms at resort. Same runs and lifts.

Pete


  #5  
Old December 19th 03, 08:49 AM
PG
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...


"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
...
| Hmm, tough choice, stay in the UK with fog, rain, perhaps some snow
Sunday
| or GO SKIING.
|
| As you have a car you can travel around a bit for variety.
|
| I'd say go. If there isn't much open, why not do something different?
X-
| country, learn to snowboard, snowkite, there is also a toboggan in La
| Plagne I believe - not sure if it will be open!
|
| If it's cold with artificial snow they could also open up some more.
|
| remember a bad days skiing is better than a good days work!
|

Makes sense, La Rosière isn't too bad, and Tignes has got a lot open now
(110 cm at top, 29 cms at resort, lifts: 62 / 97, slopes: 77 / 129). 3V
gradually opening up, cannons have been on the go over recent cold snap.
And Sunday/Monday/Tuesday snow showers forecast.

Pete


  #6  
Old December 19th 03, 09:00 AM
Richard Lawson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...

With a forecast like this:

http://131.54.120.150/asp/syn00120_l...&loc=GifImages

I'd go. Could be a great week and it's forecast to be cold so the canons
will be working overtime.

Richard Lawson


  #7  
Old December 19th 03, 11:01 AM
Roger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...

"Simon Watkins" wrote in message ...
Need to make a decision by lunch-time today. We are booked from tomorrow
fpr a week in La Plagne. Thanks for previous replies a few days ago. So
far, apartment and ferry booking have cost £540 odd but if we go to La
Plagne to ski, it's going to cost us in the order of a further £800-£900 in
lift passes for my family, equipment hire, fuel, tolls etc + spending money.

As much as it breaks my heart to kiss goodbye to the £540 odd that we'll
lose by not driving down for our trip, is the skiing at La Plagne over the
next week going to be of suffiicient quality to justify a further £1000
investment? My gut feeling is not - very few runs open at the moment, some
very cold weather forecast next week, but no significant snow according to
snow-forecast.com. However they are showing 6 cm on Saturday night, and 5cm
on Sunday night - enough to open up the resort?

Decisions decisions!

Simon



Simon

Go!!!

I couldn't bear chucking away what you've spent already and even if
the snow's not great you can still have a great holiday.

And as for snow-forecast.com - I've learnt to totally ignore it as
it's completely unreliable but I'd concur that snow's on its way at
the w/e - http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1a.html
  #9  
Old December 19th 03, 12:18 PM
Lloyd Jenkins
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...

Simon,

If it's any consolation we are also going to La Plagne tomorrow for a week.

If previous Christmases are anything to go by, they keep a lot of the pistes
back until the Christmas week.

The snow levels reported are still significantly better than Christmas 2001,
when only 50% of the area was open for Christmas week rising to 70% by the
New Year. On that occasion, we had a good week's skiing despite the area not
being fully open. Dodging the rocks at times just makes you ski more
precisely.

There is apparently more snow forecast. The currenmt snowe levels are not
far from average for the time of year in la Plagne if you look at the
historic snow depths recorded on the Ski Club of Great Britain website.

Go. You'll enjoy it.

Lloyd Jenkins
"Simon Watkins" wrote in message
...
Need to make a decision by lunch-time today. We are booked from tomorrow
fpr a week in La Plagne. Thanks for previous replies a few days ago. So
far, apartment and ferry booking have cost £540 odd but if we go to La
Plagne to ski, it's going to cost us in the order of a further £800-£900

in
lift passes for my family, equipment hire, fuel, tolls etc + spending

money.

As much as it breaks my heart to kiss goodbye to the £540 odd that we'll
lose by not driving down for our trip, is the skiing at La Plagne over the
next week going to be of suffiicient quality to justify a further £1000
investment? My gut feeling is not - very few runs open at the moment,

some
very cold weather forecast next week, but no significant snow according to
snow-forecast.com. However they are showing 6 cm on Saturday night, and

5cm
on Sunday night - enough to open up the resort?

Decisions decisions!

Simon





  #10  
Old December 19th 03, 12:48 PM
Ian Spare
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crunch time - should we stay or should we go...

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:18:56 -0000, "Lloyd Jenkins"
wrote:


There is apparently more snow forecast. The currenmt snowe levels are not
far from average for the time of year in la Plagne if you look at the
historic snow depths recorded on the Ski Club of Great Britain website.


That had struck me, I'd not looked at the history but my impression
looking out of the window was it wasn't exceptionally bad for the time
of year. Slighly disappointing though since back in November it was
looking like a good start to the season.

Ian
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Board Time, opinions sought…. Christopher Cox Snowboarding 25 August 22nd 04 10:01 PM
Brighton UT; Need a place to stay!! Damien Clark Snowboarding 4 February 25th 04 09:16 PM
Time to Replace my Board Muggsly Snowboarding 0 January 16th 04 11:13 PM
places to stay in switzerland... need help? Bill Butler Snowboarding 3 November 15th 03 06:38 PM
Spare Time Strategies YourPreciousTime Snowboarding 0 August 29th 03 02:20 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.