trip to Vail - looking for advice

Old April 5th 04, 09:31 PM
Sharkie

Default trip to Vail - looking for advice

Hello,

we're heading out to Vail for the somewhat extended April 15th
weekend.
We've been there before during summer and by car, but this is our
first trip there during winter, and this time we're flying in.

Since we already paid quite a lot for tickets and lodging, I'd like to
keep the rest of expenses to the minimum (within reason). So before
I'm told "you shouldn't go to Vail then" I have a few questions.

I've done some homework, read some info from various sites, I found
this
one: http://www.econovail.com/ to be particularly useful. However a
few
things are still unclear:

1) we'll be flying in to Eagle County airport. What is the best way to
get into Vail from there, and then from Vail back into airport?
I understand there's a bus
(http://www.eagle-county.com/bus_schedules.cfm)
but it seems like it won't fit our schedule.

2) will we need a car? I've heard several, and sometimes conflicting,
information about the Vail shuttle system. How good/convenient is it?
We don't have to go to other resorts.

3) I'm thinking of taking the "Meet the Mountain: welcome tour". Is it
worth
taking? We're very good riders, just not familiar with this area.

4) Food: I'm not interested in the gourmet stuff, but not necessary
fast food
either. Any recommendations here?

5) Stuff to do when not riding/eating: thinking about seeing the ski
museum.
Any other things to see/do?

6) Riding: any advice here welcome. How are the snow conditions during
this time of year? Any places better than other (less crowds, better
snow,
etc.)? I wouldn't mind trying the trees, and some steeps. Is the pipe
still in good shape?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 6th 04, 01:27 PM
og

Rent a car. It's cheap and convenient. I stayed in Leadville last spring
in the Super 8. $40 a night.

For spring riding try Beaver Creek right down the road.
That place is great!

om...

Old April 6th 04, 02:40 PM
Chet Hayes

If you want to spend your entire time at Vail, you can probably do ok
without a car. But, are you sure you want to spend 100% of your time
at Vail? When I go out, I stay in Frisco, which is about 40 mins east
of Vail and a lot less expensive. From there, you have many world
class choices: Breckenridge 10min, Copper Mtn 10Min, Vail 40Min,
A-Basin (which has the longest season) 5Mins, etc. I like the variety
and while they are all great resorts, I prefer Breck or Copper over
Vail.

If you want to look into it, I recommend the Holiday Inn, Frisco.
Old April 6th 04, 08:26 PM
toddjb

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message . com...
If you want to spend your entire time at Vail, you can probably do ok
without a car. But, are you sure you want to spend 100% of your time
at Vail? When I go out, I stay in Frisco, which is about 40 mins east
of Vail and a lot less expensive. From there, you have many world
class choices: Breckenridge 10min, Copper Mtn 10Min, Vail 40Min,
A-Basin (which has the longest season) 5Mins, etc. I like the variety
and while they are all great resorts, I prefer Breck or Copper over
Vail.

If you want to look into it, I recommend the Holiday Inn, Frisco.

I concur. Vail is a great mountain despite what people may say (who I think
are more turned away by the prices or some of the crowd it attracts). But,
when you're chasing back bowls and steeps you don't run into much of that
ritzy crowd you probably choose to avoid.

Anyway, that said, I didn't read how long you're staying but spend a couple
days a Vail which you'll need just to even try to see it all, but definitely
hit some of the other great resorts in the area.

Consider staying at Keystone. Centrally located and they usually have some
great spring specials this time of year. A car would be more convenient,
but they do have shuttles running to different resorts. A Keystone stay
would probably include a few days of free ski passes (or in the bundle)
and the Keystone passes are good at multiple resorts including a day
at Vail.

I'd sleep in Keystone, but I wouldn't ski there. That place has awful
spring conditions every time I made the mistake of trying it. May be
fine in season but you'll spend half your spring day getting to soft
snow and in the process board over awful ice, granular chunks and rock
hard corduroy.

If you stay in Keystone, go to The Goat. Great bar. Soup & Whiskey!

Hope this helps...

-todd
Old April 9th 04, 01:21 AM
Lowell Hart

1) we'll be flying in to Eagle County airport. What is the best way to
get into Vail from there, and then from Vail back into airport?
I understand there's a bus
(http://www.eagle-county.com/bus_schedules.cfm)
but it seems like it won't fit our schedule.

You can rent a car, hire a taxi, or take the shuttle. If you will be
staying in Vail (Village, Golden Peak, or Lionshead) you will not need
a car to get around as most attractions are within walking distance or
accessable by the free shuttle system.

2) will we need a car? I've heard several, and sometimes conflicting,
information about the Vail shuttle system. How good/convenient is it?
We don't have to go to other resorts.

I live and work in Vail, and use the shuttle frequently. It's quick,
easy, and reliable. Parking can sometimes be an added hassle and
expense on a busy weekend.

3) I'm thinking of taking the "Meet the Mountain: welcome tour". Is it
worth
taking? We're very good riders, just not familiar with this area.

The mountain tour is a good way to get your bearings (and to learn
about the natural and human history of the region), but will likely
not challenge your riding. If you weant to get to the action quickly,
bail on the tour and ask an instructor or patroller for 'secret stash'
recommendations.

4) Food: I'm not interested in the gourmet stuff, but not necessary
fast food
either. Any recommendations here?

Two Elk, Buffaloes and Wildwood offer a variety of good choices (so do
Eagle's Nest and mid-Vail, but IMO, the food at the former locations
is a bit better). Each is located at a mountaintop location, so you do
not need to ride to the base area so you can eat and keep charging.
The food is hearty, tasty, and nutritious. 12-1pm can be busy, and you
may want to schedule lunch either early or a bit later in the
afternoon. It's not inexpensive, but it is good.

5) Stuff to do when not riding/eating: thinking about seeing the ski
museum.
Any other things to see/do?

The ski museum is a great idea. Walk around Vail Village. Rent a
mountain bike and cruise the rec path. Adventure Ridge offers tubing,
snowbiking, and snowmobile rentals. Vail is scheduled to close for the
season April 18, and you can look forward to plenty of 'end of the
season' celebrations, both on the mountain and in town.

6) Riding: any advice here welcome. How are the snow conditions during
this time of year? Any places better than other (less crowds, better
snow,
etc.)? I wouldn't mind trying the trees, and some steeps. Is the pipe
still in good shape?

You simply can't go wrong. Vail is huge and you'll be super-stoked to
explore. The snow is soft spring 'hero snow', and we've been seeing
several inches of fresh snow on the mountain each day through the past
week. The Back Bowls are incomparable. The pipe is in good shape, as
is the terrain park (both at Golden Peak). Hike out to Ptarmigan Ridge
(off Wildwood Chair #3) for an untracked descent into Sundown Bowl.
Snag Park (in Nothwoods Bowl), Yonder (in Sunup Bowl), and all of Blue
Sky Basin offer well spaced trees and plenty of fun lines.

If the temps are below freezing, work with the sun: south aspects tend
to soften first. North aspects will be less affected by the sun, and
can offer faster snow when the going gets super-soft. Once you go up,
you do not need to go down to the lower mountain (where the warmer
temperatures in the lower elevations have melted back much of the
snow).

There is a pond-skimming event on Saturday (4/17) at Golden Peak, and
the energy will be high all over the mountain with locals and guests
celebrating the end of another great season.

If it'd be helpful, feel free to stop by the Vail Village Ski and Ride
School between 8:30-9am and I'd be more than happy identify the places
on the mountain map that will best meet your needs (you can also ask
any other instructor, patroller, or mountain information person).

Look forward to a great vacation!

Thanks in advance.