A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 1st 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
john
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

I have been using the v2 150 roller skis and love them for our hilly
bumpy roads. I'd like a similar experience in a classic ski and was
looking at the retro classics with the big inflatable wheel up front
and two wheels like on the 125's out back. Wondering if anyone has
tried these. I especially like the speed reducers on my 150's, I can
crawl down steep hills if I want.

I'm using a V2 910 classic now with speed reducers, they are good but
I still get kind of spooked on the downhills sometimes, especially
when the road is all hacked up.
Ads
  #2  
Old September 2nd 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

I've tried them and didn't like them. Too heavy and too stable in a
way (i.e., feels more like a Nordic Trak than actual skiing).

I opted for a V2 9000 series which has an extra long shaft, a 910
wheel in the back and one of the narrow 100mm wheels up front (with
speed reducer). I like these a lot, as they're a little challenging
to balance on, and with the ratchet way up front on the narrow wheel,
it feels like you do have to press down a bit to get kick.

I'm hoping Len offers a composite version of the 9000 shaft at some
point...


Jon
  #3  
Old September 2nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
john
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

I ended up ordering a clutch wheel and out rigger for my 150's, I'll
see if they are decent for classic and skating both, I'm not super
hopeful, but it would be nice to just own one pair of roller skis.

I do like how the 910's feel striding, sometimes I have to click the
reducers one click to slow them a bit, I'm concerned that the 150's
will be way too fast.

  #4  
Old September 2nd 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

What I don't get is what are you doing on 150s if you stride on 910s?
That is, if you are actually using 910 wheels, not just referring to
the 900 classic series generically as 910.

Gene

john wrote:

I ended up ordering a clutch wheel and out rigger for my 150's, I'll
see if they are decent for classic and skating both, I'm not super
hopeful, but it would be nice to just own one pair of roller skis.

I do like how the 910's feel striding, sometimes I have to click the
reducers one click to slow them a bit, I'm concerned that the 150's
will be way too fast.

  #5  
Old September 2nd 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
john
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

On Sep 2, 7:16*pm, wrote:
What I don't get is what are you doing on 150s if you stride on 910s?
That is, if you are actually using 910 wheels, not just referring to
the 900 classic series generically as 910.

Gene



john wrote:
I ended up ordering a clutch wheel and out rigger for my 150's, I'll
see if they are decent for classic and skating both, I'm not super
hopeful, but it would be nice to just own one pair of roller skis.


I do like how the 910's feel striding, sometimes I have to click the
reducers one click to slow them a bit, I'm concerned that the 150's
will be way too fast.- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


I have the 900 series solid wheel skis for classic and the aero 150's
for skating. On the classics, I use the slower wheel and generally
like them, but they do feel a little sketchy for me going down big
hills on broken pavement. If I can get the 150's to work as combi's,
I'd prefer them. I'll post back in a week when I get the new wheels.

I really like the 150's, I can just ski right out of the driveway and
go wherever I want and cover a lot of gound. They are a really nice
ski for my purposes and I'm doing more roller skiing, which is a plus.
  #6  
Old September 3rd 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

There are differences between the 910, 920 and 930 wheels and who uses
them typically. While the 150s are not the rollerski of champions
except in unusual circumstances, the 910s are. That's why I asked. I
take it your circumstances are desperate if you're using the 150s.
Usually, the recommendation is to change the surface or terrain rather
than take up a rollerski that promotes bad technique, as using the 150
tends to do (speaking from experience and as an instructor). For
classical, I used a 930 model converted into a three wheeler for a few
years, before deciding to switch to Marwe combis with the classical
wire wheel extensions. With that, I also adjusted the terrain to my
tolerance level on downhills w/o a speed reducers and the size of the
Marwe wheels (70mm?).

Gene


john wrote:

On Sep 2, 7:16*pm, wrote:
What I don't get is what are you doing on 150s if you stride on 910s?
That is, if you are actually using 910 wheels, not just referring to
the 900 classic series generically as 910.


I have the 900 series solid wheel skis for classic and the aero 150's
for skating. On the classics, I use the slower wheel and generally
like them, but they do feel a little sketchy for me going down big
hills on broken pavement. If I can get the 150's to work as combi's,
I'd prefer them. I'll post back in a week when I get the new wheels.

I really like the 150's, I can just ski right out of the driveway and
go wherever I want and cover a lot of gound. They are a really nice
ski for my purposes and I'm doing more roller skiing, which is a plus.

  #7  
Old September 3rd 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
john
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

On Sep 3, 1:16*am, wrote:
There are differences between the 910, 920 and 930 wheels and who uses
them typically. *While the 150s are not the rollerski of champions
except in unusual circumstances, the 910s are. *That's why I asked. *I
take it your circumstances are desperate if you're using the 150s.
Usually, the recommendation is to change the surface or terrain rather
than take up a rollerski that promotes bad technique, as using the 150
tends to do (speaking from experience and as an instructor). *For
classical, I used a 930 model converted into a three wheeler for a few
years, before deciding to switch to Marwe combis with the classical
wire wheel extensions. *With that, I also adjusted the terrain to my
tolerance level on downhills w/o a speed reducers and the size of the
Marwe wheels (70mm?). *

Gene



I'm curious how the 150's will work for classic. I'm not a champion
skier, so I'm mostly looking to get some balance and general
conditioning. My technique is lousy anyway, so I'm not too worried
about i at this point. I had the Mawres for a while, but got sick of
the limited options for where I could use them safely around here, so
I did not use them much. With the 150's, I look forward to getting
out the door.

Perhaps I'll get more used to the 910's on the downhills, they are not
bad but on the steep hills with the reducers on high they get sort of
unstable for my tastes.
  #8  
Old September 5th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

john wrote:
I have been using the v2 150 roller skis and love them for our hilly
bumpy roads. I'd like a similar experience in a classic ski and was
looking at the retro classics with the big inflatable wheel up front
and two wheels like on the 125's out back. Wondering if anyone has
tried these. I especially like the speed reducers on my 150's, I can
crawl down steep hills if I want.

I'm using a V2 910 classic now with speed reducers, they are good but
I still get kind of spooked on the downhills sometimes, especially
when the road is all hacked up.

I tried a pair last year, hoping they would work well on compacted stone
dust trails or smoothed dirt.... but not flat enough and it felt like
going uphill all the time. On regular pavement they are nice, on new
fine pavement they are like gliding on the nicest snow. The ones I had
were the ones which used regular shoes or hiking boots.
gr
  #9  
Old October 17th 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

On Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 11:23:05 PM UTC-4, gr wrote:
john wrote:
I have been using the v2 150 roller skis and love them for our hilly
bumpy roads. I'd like a similar experience in a classic ski and was
looking at the retro classics with the big inflatable wheel up front
and two wheels like on the 125's out back. Wondering if anyone has
tried these. I especially like the speed reducers on my 150's, I can
crawl down steep hills if I want.

I'm using a V2 910 classic now with speed reducers, they are good but
I still get kind of spooked on the downhills sometimes, especially
when the road is all hacked up.

I tried a pair last year, hoping they would work well on compacted stone
dust trails or smoothed dirt.... but not flat enough and it felt like
going uphill all the time. On regular pavement they are nice, on new
fine pavement they are like gliding on the nicest snow. The ones I had
were the ones which used regular shoes or hiking boots.
gr

I have done classic on Aero 150s for nearly 20 years. I used them on the dirt roads that climb Mt. Royal her in Montreal. I never used outriggers, but this meant using very tight and stiff boots, which I don't much like. I have a pair of old Terra skis with I can use low-cut classic boots, but they can't handle rough dirt roads. I am currently converting my 150s to 150RCs -- 2 rear wheels. I'll soon be 70 and the occasional fall has a bit more impact these days and I want to ski the city bike paths through the winter, as I did last year. The city keeps those paths incredibly snow and ice-free with some kind of sal****er spray. I'll get back to you. I'm very slow these days and am not much concerned about the extra weight an lack of mobility -- I'm just straight ahead.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V2 Retro classic roller skis on ebay. [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 October 16th 07 05:54 PM
V2 Retro Classic Rollerski Feedback? Marcuski Nordic Skiing 1 January 2nd 06 02:14 PM
Anyone have classic rollerskis to sell? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 1 March 9th 04 01:18 AM
Four wheel rollerskis PBDoyle Nordic Skiing 2 September 26th 03 02:47 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.