Why no posts about Beitostølen?

Old November 24th 03, 06:45 AM
Terje Mathisen

Default Why no posts about Beitostølen?

Hey! The world cup started this weekend, with nice skiing (and weather!)
on saturday and relays (in not so nice weather) yesterday.

From my viewpoint the main items of interest was

a) Germany is doing very well these days, their national TV sent a
50-man (!) crew to cover the NRK-produced video. :-)

b) Italy is still strong.

c) Sweden missed either the wax or their form on saturday, and dropped
off the pace on the last leg of the relay.

d) Marit Bjørgan showed that it helps to be a world champion in the
sprints when you want to win a relay.

Anyway, I bet our friends with the MPEG encoders will soon have you all
drooling in fron of your PCs. :-)

Terje
--
-

Old November 25th 03, 11:31 PM
taywood

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Hey! The world cup started this weekend, with nice skiing (and
weather!) on saturday and relays (in not so nice weather) yesterday.

The British commentators on Eurosport both have Biathlon
background and observed that Norway have given their
Biathlon racers the chance to take part in XC races.
As this seems a new concept does anyone know why this happened.
I can understand that Bi racers would welcome on snow racing
prior to their season starting, but surely the XC squads need
their race time on snow now.

One other thing, several racers were noticed using longer length poles.
Was this just for this race or is this a trend. It seems in line with
our thread this summer on the new skate poling techniques, hands
shoulder height and pole plants wayy back behind the feet.
Mike

PS Zorzi wasnt racing, the commentators mentioned him being
angry with his National Federation. Anyone know the reason why?
Has he been a bad boy?
Old November 26th 03, 02:40 PM
Terje Mathisen

taywood wrote:

Terje Mathisen wrote:

Hey! The world cup started this weekend, with nice skiing (and
weather!) on saturday and relays (in not so nice weather) yesterday.

The British commentators on Eurosport both have Biathlon
background and observed that Norway have given their
Biathlon racers the chance to take part in XC races.

It really isn't a matter of 'Norway giving Bi racers the chance', it is
simply that those biathlon racers have started in the regular (skate)
qualification race(s), and beaten most of the XC squad. Kristen
Skjeldal, who was dropped from the XC team before this season did the
same, and qualified the same way.

As this seems a new concept does anyone know why this happened.
I can understand that Bi racers would welcome on snow racing
prior to their season starting, but surely the XC squads need
their race time on snow now.

They sure do, but the bi racers are so popular currently that there's
absolutely no way the XC coaches can bypass them when they do qualify.
They've tried that in previous years, and they got hung up to dry in all
the tabloid newspapers, as well as on NRK TV.

It probably helps that the main XC commentator, Kjell Kristian Rike, has
a background as a competition shooter, and really do prefer Biathlon.

He's been extolling the skating virtues of the best biathlon racers for
years and years now, and during the last couple of seasons, he's even
been right.

Terje

--
-

Old November 26th 03, 09:08 PM
Jay Tegeder

Norway had and I repeat had great skaters in Bjorn Daehlie, Thomas
Alsgaard and a younger Kristian Skjeldal. I'm not sure how much
coahing had to do with them being fast. Tor Arne Hetland is a great
and I repeat great skater but he needs to figure out what race
distance he wants to specialize in. I think he should concentrate less
on sprints which he is already great at, and concentrate on the longer
distances so he can help Norway in the Relay and maybe get a skiathlon
podium finish or mass start skate podium etc. Tore Ruud Hofstad seems
to be picking up where the others left off. Anyway, what I'm getting
at, Norway's XC Team had no reason to worry about skating until the
retirements started happening. Simplified response, perhaps, but I
don't think they were in panic mode. At the same time, the biathletes
perfected their skating technique because, well, they skate in
biathlon... I think more emphasis will be put on skating as the
Norwegian women's program did the last couple of seasons when they
hired Egil Kristiansen.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old November 26th 03, 09:14 PM
taywood

Terje Mathisen wrote:
taywood wrote:

Terje Mathisen wrote:

Hey! The world cup started this weekend, with nice skiing (and
weather!) on saturday and relays (in not so nice weather) yesterday.

The British commentators on Eurosport both have Biathlon
background and observed that Norway have given their
Biathlon racers the chance to take part in XC races.

It really isn't a matter of 'Norway giving Bi racers the chance', it
is simply that those biathlon racers have started in the regular (skate)

qualification race(s), and beaten most of the XC squad.
Kristen Skjeldal, who was dropped from the XC team before this season
did the same, and qualified the same way.

Thanks.
It seems strange to me when the two sports have different governing
bodies and different race calendars and venues.

Its got to be good for XC ski racing but I cant help wondering how
people would feel if, at the end of the season, a racer lost the World
title by the same number of points his Biathlon friend took in the
opening races which he could perhaps have gained.
Just another what if !!
Mike

Old November 26th 03, 09:46 PM
Terje Mathisen

taywood wrote:
Its got to be good for XC ski racing but I cant help wondering how
people would feel if, at the end of the season, a racer lost the World
title by the same number of points his Biathlon friend took in the
opening races which he could perhaps have gained.
Just another what if !!

No way: If you're going to in the running for the overall title, you
will most certainly be among the best in the regular XC team all year.

Besides, when the biathlon world cup starts, these racers will be too
buzy doing their main thing. :-)

Terje

--
-

Old November 26th 03, 10:25 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:14:47 -0000, "taywood"
wrote:

I cant help wondering how
people would feel if, at the end of the season, a racer lost the World
title by the same number of points his Biathlon friend took in the
opening races which he could perhaps have gained.

I'd think that skier should have gone faster if he/she wanted to win
the World Cup. It's about speed and racing, after all.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com
Old November 27th 03, 11:30 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

taywood wrote:

The British commentators on Eurosport both have Biathlon
background and observed that Norway have given their
Biathlon racers the chance to take part in XC races.

I was watching those races on English Eurosport and even though
I know Mike Dixon (second commentator on English Eurosport)
personally, and he's nice guy, especially for going for a beer
I switched to German Eurosport after few mins. Half of last 10km
in men relay was about how great Bjorndalen is, how perfect
technique he has etc etc. Basicaly how he will kick everyones
ass in that race. I'm not saying he's not good or anything, after
all, I would agree that, with a bit of luck in SLC, he is best
biathlete ever, but it still went on my nerves enough to switch to
German. And even though I would understand for Bjorndalen to go
do this things, but there was also Berger, Anderssen, and Andreassen.
Noone of those 3 ever did anything so great, compared to Bjorndalen
that they could say "ok I did everything in biathlon so now I will
go to kick some xc guys".
It's my personal opinion, but they should stay in biathlon
and first win everything there. Another thing is to think they can
win XC world cup easily (most cyclist which I know here are thinking
like that too... one month training and they can win our national
championship easily because, even though most of people don't
consider this as option, it's not about having "training" race before
their WC, but to show those XC guys they suck.

PS Zorzi wasnt racing, the commentators mentioned him being
angry with his National Federation. Anyone know the reason why?
Has he been a bad boy?

He never was really good boy He wasn't when I was still there and
somehow I don't think he changed much And don't understand me wrong.
With "not good boy" I don't mean he's annoying or something. He's
cool but sometimes too cool for some people on top of federation
--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing
Old November 27th 03, 04:31 PM
John O'Connell

Primoz,

I'm glad to see your post. Your insiders insight was always appreciated.

John OC

Old November 28th 03, 08:47 AM
Janne G

Primoz Jeroncic wrote:

taywood wrote:

[...]

When we are on the subject commentators i have to say that the commentators on
"the xc-ski channel" NRK is very good and have a broad knowlage of the
athletes from every country. And in the contrary to many peoples belief
they aren't so nationalistic as one could think, commentating on theire
own national channel.

--

Forward in all directions

Janne G