A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » European Ski Resorts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Snowboarder Dead :-(



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 10th 05, 10:00 AM
Simon Brown
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Snowboarder Dead :-(

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch


Ads
  #2  
Old January 10th 05, 10:09 AM
cupra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.


I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control throughout
the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but let's hope the culprit
comes forward or is identified.


  #3  
Old January 10th 05, 10:11 AM
Simon Brown
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.


I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control throughout
the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but let's hope the

culprit
comes forward or is identified.



Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch



  #4  
Old January 10th 05, 10:17 AM
cupra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.


I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.



Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.


They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a good
description of the offender.


  #5  
Old January 10th 05, 10:18 AM
Le Dieu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.



Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.


They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a good
description of the offender.



I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They might
have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope they find him.

A. D.


  #6  
Old January 10th 05, 10:26 AM
cupra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Le Dieu wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer
gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder
lying in the snow without offering any assistance. The
snowboarder was rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very
high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.



Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.


They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a
good description of the offender.



I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They
might have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope
they find him.


Yep - at the end of the day, any one of us could be a victim of something
like this.


  #7  
Old January 10th 05, 10:49 AM
Ace
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:00:40 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.


I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.
  #8  
Old January 10th 05, 10:50 AM
PG
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


" cupra" wrote in message
...
| Le Dieu wrote:
| " cupra" wrote in message
| ...
| Simon Brown wrote:
| " cupra" wrote in message
| ...
| Simon Brown wrote:
| From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.
|
| "Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer
| gestorben"
|
| BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with
a
| skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder
| lying in the snow without offering any assistance. The
| snowboarder was rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very
| high speed.
|
| I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
| throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
| let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.
|
|
|
| Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.
|
| They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a
| good description of the offender.
|
|
| I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They
| might have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope
| they find him.
|
| Yep - at the end of the day, any one of us could be a victim of
something
| like this.

Would a helmet have helped? Who knows, but if it was a high speed
collision, along the lines of a racing skier hitting a stationary
boarder, it may not have made any difference. The Italians have got a
raft of new laws that affect this sort of incident now, which include
the criminal offence (along the lines of the well-established French
law) of "non-assistance to a person in danger"). Still the maximum
penalties are fines of 1000 euros, if I read the Italian press right.
Hit and runs like this should be punishable by minimum prison terms, if
the skier really was responsible.

Pete


  #9  
Old January 10th 05, 10:52 AM
cupra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ace wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:00:40 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.


I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.


The day a death on the slopes is treated as 'not a big deal' is the day I
think I'll hang up my boots.....


  #10  
Old January 10th 05, 10:54 AM
cupra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

PG wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
...
Le Dieu wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
...
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer
gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with
a skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder
lying in the snow without offering any assistance. The
snowboarder was rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very
high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.



Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.

They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a
good description of the offender.


I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They
might have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope
they find him.


Yep - at the end of the day, any one of us could be a victim of
something like this.


Would a helmet have helped? Who knows, but if it was a high speed
collision, along the lines of a racing skier hitting a stationary
boarder, it may not have made any difference. The Italians have got a
raft of new laws that affect this sort of incident now, which include
the criminal offence (along the lines of the well-established French
law) of "non-assistance to a person in danger"). Still the maximum
penalties are fines of 1000 euros, if I read the Italian press right.
Hit and runs like this should be punishable by minimum prison terms,
if the skier really was responsible.


You're absolutely right about not knowing the circumstances of the accident
and whether a helmet would have helped - all we know for sure is that the
low life didn't stop to assist.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good grief! He's a snowboarder AstroPax Snowboarding 53 March 24th 04 07:54 AM
One dead in avalanche in Val D'Isere JP European Ski Resorts 4 December 30th 03 11:16 AM
RSA: dead as Kerrison's Conscience scottabe Alpine Skiing 4 November 23rd 03 05:37 PM
Drunk snowboarder who crashed into kids gets 240 days Dave Stallard Alpine Skiing 2 September 1st 03 09:36 PM
Dylan and the Dead bdubya Alpine Skiing 7 August 5th 03 08:04 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.