Confused about skating technique names

Old March 18th 06, 11:47 PM

Default Confused about skating technique names

Sorry if this has come up before...

I just came past this nice write-up, which however left me confused.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_skiing

I seem to have been using the wrong names for techniques. I thought I was
V2-ing all the time, trying to work on my V1. V2 I called poling on every
right leg push. Seems I should use V1 there.
Or, and this is where I'm really lost, are "gears 2 and 4", V1 and V2
Alternate pretty much the same? Different V number for the same technique at
difference speeds, at least on paper, double-poling on one leg only?
***
Since I've got this topic open, I'll ask some more if you don't mind, keep
the list clean.

-should I learn to do V2 Alternate, or any technique for that matter, both
ways? Double-poling on my right leg seemed natural to me from the beginning,
but after I had collected courage yesterday, I seemed to pick up poling on
just the left leg decently. Felt weird, but worked. In XC racing, do
situations happen where it's good to be able toV2 alternate on either leg?
Even for fitness' sake?

Thanks a lot for your help! Once I master these silly gotta-knows I hope to
help newbies after me in my turn. ;-)
***
I've effectively been using my bulky (years old) Crosskates for a couple
weeks now, 80% of all my kms the past week, about 50km or so. Loving this
skating/poling this to bits. All on-road, tires at high pressure.
Amazing to remember how helpless and clumsy I felt just weeks ago and how I
can now almost keep up with my rollerblading buddy, until he goes sprinting.
My typical skate cruising speed (I get tired thighs within 1km regardless
intensity) on fast asphalt, no wind, is now around 18-19kph. Is this too
fast to be snow-realistic for an utter newbie, or pretty much right? Maybe
crosskates just aren't so slow after all...
Looking to buy or make myself some Jenex V2 Aero 150 type rollerski's, that
can take wheelsizes 100-150mm or even larger. The 150's seem to be
appreciated by skiers as the closest thing to actually skiing on snow, which
is what I want, good training. I guess if I put on fast solid 125mm wheels I
could maybe join the local rollerski school with them, as well as pester my
rollerblading buddy. If we make our our, he'd get a set of his own, of
course.
Yesterday I almost pulled the trigger on some Rollerblade Aero 90's (4x90mm,
ABEC7) on clearance sale. Not sure what is wise to work on my skating legs.
Any opinions on Nordic Blading vs Rollerskiing if budget is a big factor? I
hope to postpone the purchase of ski boots and bindings somewhat, ?120 for
decent blades is not too bad if it's not totally stupid with poles, for that
change of pace.

Thanks for reading, and perhaps some help,

The Netherlands

Old March 19th 06, 01:02 AM

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:47:08 +0100, Jan Gerrit Klok
wrote:

[...]

This numbering of techniques are confusion, we have a name for each style.
Whatt i present here is more or less a direct translation from norwegian,
so there may be other names on english -I don't know. Id anyone have
another name on these tchnique please help me out.

V1 is gliding heribone (norwegian-glidende fiskebein)
V2 is Canoing(refering to the comparabel movement,norwegian-padling)
V3 is Dobbel-dance (norwegian- dobbeldans)
V4 is single-dance(norwegian- enkeltdans)
v5 is is just skating(either from an more upright position or
hockeyposition)

You should learn to do the "canoing" and "singel-dance" altenating.
Depending on the the terrain it will of your advantage to handle both
sides. It will also fell more comfortable when both side are equally
fatuiged
Problems with alternating is indicating that your not having the same
press-push sequence on both sides and don't glide equally on both skies,
so this is more than just getting used to altenating.
Studying Biathlon athletes is good way to learn, some of them are the best
when it comes to technique. Especially look at them when they are
"canoing"(v2), very few of them glides the same lenght on the ski on each
side. Take a look at Bjørndalen, Frode Andresen(who alternates very often)
and Sandrine Bailly - you will see that they glide equally on both skies
no matter which leg they are poling at. Not so with many others.

LASR
Old March 19th 06, 01:22 AM

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 02:02:12 +0100, lasr wrote:
Here are the US terms for these.

V1 is gliding heribone (norwegian-glidende fiskebein)

Diagonal skate, coaches skate and probably other things in the US.

V2 is Canoing(refering to the comparabel movement,norwegian-padling)

V1 in the US. Offset in Canada

V3 is Dobbel-dance (norwegian- dobbeldans)

V2 in the US. 1-skate in Canada.

V4 is single-dance(norwegian- enkeltdans)

V2-alternate and open field skate in the US. 2-skate in Canada.

v5 is is just skating(either from an more upright position or
hockeyposition)

Freeskating and no-poles skating in the US.

You should learn to do the "canoing" and "singel-dance" altenating.
Depending on the the terrain it will of your advantage to handle both
sides. It will also fell more comfortable when both side are equally
fatuiged

Yeah,

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old March 19th 06, 02:05 AM

In article ,
"Jan Gerrit Klok" wrote:

Sorry if this has come up before...

I just came past this nice write-up, which however left me confused.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_skiing

I seem to have been using the wrong names for techniques. I thought I was
V2-ing all the time, trying to work on my V1. V2 I called poling on every
right leg push. Seems I should use V1 there.

Right; that's V1, your climbing technique: your right ski hits the
ground at the same time as your (offset) double pole plant. The only
"lower gear" is diagonal V-skate.

Or, and this is where I'm really lost, are "gears 2 and 4", V1 and V2
Alternate pretty much the same? Different V number for the same technique at
difference speeds, at least on paper, double-poling on one leg only?

In V2, you pole on *both* sides, not just with the right leg push.
However, the timing is different from V1: in V2, you double pole on your
right ski, then skate onto the left ski; double pole on the left ski,
then skate onto the right ski, etc. This can be a very fast technique,
but it requires excellent balance, complete weight transfer, high hips
well up over the gliding ski, and good timing. For elite skiers, V2 is
used quite a lot, both climbing and on the flats; for mere mortals, it's
a good technique to use to keep up momentum on a gentle climb, before
the hill gets steep enough that V1 is called for. It's a great
technique to work on in any case because of the balance/glide required.
In fast conditions, many skiers without really good balance find V2
alternate easier than V2.

In V2 alternate (or open field skate), you pole only on one side, as
in V1, but with the pole timing of V2; thus the sequence is: double pole
on the right ski, skate onto the left, skate back onto the right, double
pole on the right ski, etc. It is a fast technique, used on fast flats
and gentle downhills. The terminology is somewhat misleading, since one
poles only on one side; the rationale is that V2 alternate uses the same
pole timing as V2 (double pole on one ski, then skate over to the new
gliding ski), but only on alternate leg strokes (i.e., only on the right
ski, as opposed to the V2's double pole on both gliding skis).

When the snow is fast enough that one doesn't gain any momentum by
poling, the preferred technique is free skating (without poles).

To add to the confusion, the Canadian terminology is different from
that used in the U.S.: in Canada, V2 is called one-skate, V2 alternate
is called two-skate, and V1 is called offset.

Einar Svensson's book popularized another terminological system in
use in Norway: Double Dance is V2, Single Dance is V2-alternate, and
Paddle Dance is V1.

***
Since I've got this topic open, I'll ask some more if you don't mind, keep
the list clean.

-should I learn to do V2 Alternate, or any technique for that matter, both
ways?

Yes. V1 and V2 alternate should be practiced on both sides. When
skating around a turn or on a sidehill, there is a clearly preferred
poling side, so one should be comfortable doing the technique on either
side; switching sides in V1 also helps avert fatigue on long climbs.

[...]

Inline skates are a great and fun way to inject some variety into
your training, but they are not nearly as specific as rollerskis. If
you can rollerski, that's best; then inline skates can be used as a fun
variation. Of course, for classic skiing, you need ratcheted rollerskis.

hope to postpone the purchase of ski boots and bindings somewhat, ?120 for
decent blades is not too bad if it's not totally stupid with poles, for that
change of pace.

Most inline skates are too fast for effective ski training with poles
(one can cruise along with V2 at high speeds on the flats with little
effort); they also afford less valuable practice in balance and riding a
flat glide ski. I would suggest just skating without poles with your
skeelers, but using rollerskis for more specific ski training with poles.

Old March 19th 06, 02:26 AM

The terminology has been sorted out well by JFT.

But you ask about the difference between offset and 2-skate,
(using Canuck terminology, if I may). This is a natural question,
since the poling frequency easily distinguishes the other techniques
from each other, and from these two. But it doesn't distinguish
these two from each other. So here's an incomplete
list of things which do distinguish them:

Offset is a low gear, 2-skate is a high gear

WCer's do offset only on quite steep climbs (unless the snow is very
slow), but use 2-skate on much flatter terrain

The plant positions of the poles are directly opposite each other
in 2-skate (i.e. "parallel" some people say), whereas one pole
is planted further down the hill (which one being obvious when you try
it) in offset. (I'm not quite sure what those subjects of the sports
"scientists" did when they were instructed to do offset on a flat
fast trail, so that the scientists could produce some meaningless
comparisons and publish a paper---but I digress.)

The pole push is pretty much exactly simultaneous with placing
one ski (the "strong" side) on the snow in offset. But in 2-skate,
the pole push is initiated while gliding.
Much more could be said here, and Gene perhaps will.

Obviously, there is a continuum of possible 'techniques' which one
could imagine, starting with offset and ending with 2-skate. So you
will 'hear' some arcane discussions about this sort of thing (e.g.
Mogren's skating style some years back) if you stay on this NG
for long enough. We seem to have had very little of that recently.
Perhaps skating technique is finally stabilizing.

We also had some debate/discussion a few years back, if you want
to look it up, about whether one should always push directly back,
or push parallel to the gliding ski. The pole planted further down the
hill in offset generally won't be pushing directly back, for reasons
which become obvious when you try it, but I was never unconvinced
that that was the only exception, i.e. push in the direction you want
to go, not parallel to the gliding ski. And that weak pole in offset
should push back as much as possible without tripping yourself
up or planting it too far out to the side.

There is yet another technique which wasn't listed, perhaps because
it can be regarded as a very vigorous version of offset. It has been
called "hop-skate" and "jump-skate", since you'll be able to see
both skis in the air simultaneously. Look for it especially on steep
climbs in sprint races. The technique video from XCZone has some
good shots from the rear of this (which I like especially because one
the two skiers is an acquaintance who skied for the university where
I work, and was about the best male university skier in Ontario
for a season or two!)

I hope others will help complete this incomplete list,
and offer corrections to anything which sounds incorrect.

Best, Peter

Old March 19th 06, 03:40 AM

I think we skipped Marathon Skate here, but it's still sometimes
used---out of the tracks, too.

I personally enjoy fooling with the timing of the poling/kicking in V1
and found it vital to my survival in marathons. I called my favorite
marathon move the "hang skate" or "delayed skate"---I'd do the V1
poling, pausse a moment then kick. Maybe this is Mogren. Man, it was
useful, restful, stable.

Enjoy sorting this all out! Google can help... : ) --JP

Old March 19th 06, 06:40 AM

You guys rock, thanks!! Great info to go with my breakfast!
I'll have to re-read this a couple times and put into practice.

Cheers,

Old March 19th 06, 07:33 AM

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
You guys rock, thanks!! Great info to go with my breakfast!
I'll have to re-read this a couple times and put into practice.

Cheers,

Hey Jan - don't you have anyone who can show you - or maybe look at a
video or diagrams in a book. I understand what these folks have
written because I know all these techniques from on-snow skiing - but
really I didn't do them well until someone took the time to coach me a
little. I don't think you can do this stuff properly by reading about
it without any visuals at all. Good luck though and have fun.

Old March 19th 06, 12:11 PM

On 18 Mar 2006 18:26:21 -0800, "Peter H."
wrote:

Obviously, there is a continuum of possible 'techniques' which one
could imagine, starting with offset and ending with 2-skate. So you
will 'hear' some arcane discussions about this sort of thing (e.g.
Mogren's skating style some years back) if you stay on this NG
for long enough. We seem to have had very little of that recently.
Perhaps skating technique is finally stabilizing.

I think part of the reason for this is that those intermediate
versions have been supplanted completely by V2/1-skate for good
recreational skiers and for racers. For me, about the only time to do
some sort of "high-speed" V1/offset is when on really tricky icy snow
where I want to V2 but can't handle the balance.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old March 19th 06, 05:42 PM

Hey Jan - don't you have anyone who can show you - or maybe look at a
video or diagrams in a book.

I can, if I try really hard, visualize how something is done if I look
closely, for instance biathlon on TV. It all does translate perfectly to my
Crosskates so far, though I do have to lock out the heels on those suckers,
too heavy.
When I did 4-cross training/racing (like downhill BMX on 26" wheels), new
to-me tricks I managed to nail eventually by looking closely till I knew
exactly how it was done. Then all to it was committing. First try often was
the best.

When I feel rich again I'll probably build/buy proper rollerski's of some
sort, the mayor race-oriented rollerski club in my country is actually
located 17km from my home. I'm not too much into club life or fixed training
hours, but once I'm sortof sure I won't look like a total goofhead, I might
join a club. Makes traveling to the snow much easier, fun, and less pricey,
probably.

In time I'll also get a DVD player and something like those DVD's that were
spammed on here last night. Been busy downloading XC footage, but my PC
doesn't seem to appreciate 170Mb .avi's too well.

Can you name 2 Dutch ski skaters, biathon or XC, active or retired? I hardly
can, that's how small the sport is here. In a way, that does attract to me,
in cycling there's just such crazy competition (more bikes than people
here).

I'd love to hear if anyone has ever (seen) Jenex V2 Aero 150's used with
125mm solid wheels, and how those perform compared to the race stuff then.
Or how the 150's (or snow ski's) compare in speed to the Crosskates. It will
be at least 8 months until I can test my snow speed :-(

Happy trails,

"J"

"Camilo" schreef in bericht
oups.com...