Beginner's setup

Old October 20th 05, 09:36 AM
nobody

Default Beginner's setup

Hi All,
I'm about 6'2", I've been boarding a few times, and I was considering
getting some of my own gear for the season. I have no idea what I should
be looking for, and at a recent ski and boarding show I got quoted about
700 quid beginners for board, boots and bindings.

Is this really how much it's going to cost me to get set up? Any one got
any recommendations of board type? I'm still at the getting up some
speed and nailing myself into the ground when I catch the edge
stage..... :-)

Cheers...

Tom
Old October 20th 05, 11:37 AM
Switters

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:36:57 GMT, nobody allegedly
wrote:

Hi All,
I'm about 6'2", I've been boarding a few times, and I was considering
getting some of my own gear for the season. I have no idea what I should
be looking for, and at a recent ski and boarding show I got quoted about
700 quid beginners for board, boots and bindings.

Is this really how much it's going to cost me to get set up? Any one got
any recommendations of board type? I'm still at the getting up some
speed and nailing myself into the ground when I catch the edge
stage..... :-)

If you still don't know where you want to take your boarding, then it
maybe worth sticking to hiring for a while longer. Alternatively get
yourself a normal freeride board that will allow you to progress and also
allow you to play in the park/pipe as well as carve a little.

First thing you should buy is a pair of boots. Fit is the most important
thing, although you need to decide if you're going to go for hard boots or
soft boots (with step-in or not).

Check the FAQ for some handy info. http://rssFAQ.org/

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old October 20th 05, 02:08 PM

I would agree, boots are crucially important. I've heard great things
about Salomon boots. Myself, I have a pair Burtons which are ok.

Snowboards are pricey, but there are good deals to be had, and boards
last a long time. As a beginner, you have the advantage in that you
can't really go wrong as long as the board fits you and it is a quality
board. You're not going to be hitting the halfpipe or hard charging
down a mountain, so you won't be worrying too much about flex or edge
hold. As you get better, you'll start knowing what you prefer in a
board - THAT'S when you start browsing boards based on specific
features.

My first board starting out (5 year ago) was a Salomon Fastback 163.
Stiff as hell, and a bit too long for me. But did it stop me from
riding in the park? Nope. Only now have I replaced it with a Custom
158. The point is that starting out, you shouldn't worry too much about
the board.

At 6'2", you probably want something above 160, somewhat stiff.

Nathan

Old October 20th 05, 04:29 PM
Bruce Chang

"nobody" wrote in message
Hi All,
I'm about 6'2", I've been boarding a few times, and I was considering
getting some of my own gear for the season. I have no idea what I should
be looking for, and at a recent ski and boarding show I got quoted about
700 quid beginners for board, boots and bindings.

Is this really how much it's going to cost me to get set up? Any one got
any recommendations of board type? I'm still at the getting up some speed
and nailing myself into the ground when I catch the edge stage..... :-)

Cheers...

Tom

Your weight is more important in the long run than your height. I'm 6'2 and
only 140 lbs. I ride a Burton Seven 158. I love it, though I've only rode
a couple boards so I don't have a lot to compare to. I bought a used board,
bindings and boots (all separately) and probably spent less than $350 US. I
wouldn't recommend buying boots used, though. A mistake I'll never make
again. They're fine for the riding I do, but they could be a little more
comfortable. Burton Seven with Burton Mission bindings and Salomon
Dialogues.

Don't worry about catching an edge, as long as the number of times you stand
up equal the number of times you fall down, you're doing just as well as
everyone else.

-Bruce