Any truely waterproof gloves out there?

Old March 28th 05, 02:35 PM

Default Any truely waterproof gloves out there?

So, I found out this weekend that my new North Face Goretex gloves
aren't even close to waterproof. Both of them leaked through the tip of
the thumb very quickly and the other fingers were starting to leak
through in their tips before I left. I'm going to send them back to get
fixed, but I'll probably just get rid of them when I get them back. My
question, are there any truely waterproof gloves out there? I want
something I can put on and hold my hand in a bucket of water for half a
hour and not get wet.

Old March 28th 05, 09:11 PM
Howlee

Yes, dishwashing gloves.

and if they your hands get cold, put them in your pockets. : )

oups.com...

Old March 28th 05, 11:31 PM
lonerider

So, I found out this weekend that my new North Face Goretex gloves
aren't even close to waterproof. Both of them leaked through the tip

of
the thumb very quickly and the other fingers were starting to leak
through in their tips before I left. I'm going to send them back to

get
fixed, but I'll probably just get rid of them when I get them back.

My
question, are there any truely waterproof gloves out there? I want
something I can put on and hold my hand in a bucket of water for half

hour and not get wet.

I do recall seeing Sealskin products (I've never used them -
http://tinyurl.com/4lq5v) which have photos of the glove shoved into a
bucket of water like you requested. Higher end gloves do a better job
at taping their seams to prevent water from getting in... but nothing
is "perfect" for your gloves, I would suggest just coating the seams
with a bit of shoe-goo or or type of sealant and that should be enough.
I like my Outdoor Research mitts any they are decently waterproof (will
get a bit wet if I drown them... but assuming I'm not dragging my hands
in the snow all they work well for me... most of the moisture is
usually from my own perspiration - which is true in general for more
"waterproof" gloves).

Old March 29th 05, 03:52 AM
Mike T

I like my Outdoor Research mitts any they are decently waterproof (will
get a bit wet if I drown them... but assuming I'm not dragging my hands
in the snow all they work well for me... most of the moisture is
usually from my own perspiration - which is true in general for more
"waterproof" gloves).

I've got Outdoor Research mitts as well, except I use some thin REI glove
liners instead of the ones that came with the mitts, and I get no moisture
at all. I've even started to wear through outer layer pf the mitt shells ,
but the waterproofing is staying intact.

Old March 29th 05, 10:12 PM
Walt

Mike T wrote:

I like my Outdoor Research mitts any they are decently waterproof (will
get a bit wet if I drown them... but assuming I'm not dragging my hands
in the snow all they work well for me... most of the moisture is
usually from my own perspiration - which is true in general for more
"waterproof" gloves).

I've got Outdoor Research mitts as well, except I use some thin REI glove
liners instead of the ones that came with the mitts, and I get no moisture
at all. I've even started to wear through outer layer pf the mitt shells ,
but the waterproofing is staying intact.

Add a third endorsement to the OR Goretex Mitt shells. They are 100%
waterproof - I use them every year when I put our boat dock in the
water, and I can fully immerse them without any leakage whatsoever...
that is, as long as I don't go in past the wrist.

--
//-Walt
//

warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove? Monique Y. Mudama Alpine Skiing (moderated) 87 December 15th 04 03:25 AM
Warm gloves gr Alpine Skiing (moderated) 4 December 9th 04 06:32 PM
Awesome Roller Ski Gloves For $10 Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 1 June 19th 04 03:15 AM
Wrist injury Bert Root Snowboarding 12 February 16th 04 08:53 AM
Couple of questions (pants, gloves, wrist injury, half pipe). MP Snowboarding 7 January 25th 04 09:17 AM