Olympics

Old January 29th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Olympics

Time to review Network TV Olympic principles.

No.1 It's not a real sport unless Americans have a good chance of winning.
No.2 It's not a popular sport unless Americans win.
No.3 The winner's a hero if and only if s/he overcame the incredible
handicap of a dyspeptic uncle or some-such affliction.
No.4 Snowboarding is the coolest thing this side of figure skating.
Old January 29th 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:24:38 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
Time to review Network TV Olympic principles.

No.1 It's not a real sport unless Americans have a good chance of winning..
No.2 It's not a popular sport unless Americans win.
No.3 The winner's a hero if and only if s/he overcame the incredible
handicap of a dyspeptic uncle or some-such affliction.
No.4 Snowboarding is the coolest thing this side of figure skating.

Every Olympic season I have hope that a variety of sources will improve the pitiful coverage that the USA has to endure. Knowledge that other countries seem to be able to provide actual _sports_ coverage doesn't make it any easier to watch the drivel that they serve us.

Ads suggest that NBC will again air on several channels and I've seen teases that suggest beginning to end, full coverage. Perhaps not in prime time? But I can DVR, it will be an improvement.

I have Slingbox that allows my family around the world (and me) watch my tv from anywhere we have internet. That situation in reverse would sure help the Olympic viewing and seems like the type of thing that NBC would have to consider as it ****s up it's Olympic coverage.

We'll see.

Old January 29th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
Time to review Network TV Olympic principles.

No.1 It's not a real sport unless Americans have a good chance of winning.
No.2 It's not a popular sport unless Americans win.
No.3 The winner's a hero if and only if s/he overcame the incredible
handicap of a dyspeptic uncle or some-such affliction.
No.4 Snowboarding is the coolest thing this side of figure skating.

The bigger story was two NBC staffers having an affair were warned not
to use phones to communicate as everything in the Russian networks are
subject to monitoring and recorded.

Other news white house offering bigger prize if you take out Snowden.
Old January 29th 14, 08:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 08:24:38 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

Time to review Network TV Olympic principles.

No.1 It's not a real sport unless Americans have a good chance of winning.
No.2 It's not a popular sport unless Americans win.
No.3 The winner's a hero if and only if s/he overcame the incredible
handicap of a dyspeptic uncle or some-such affliction.
No.4 Snowboarding is the coolest thing this side of figure skating.

No. 5 Snowboarding is a joke. Any sport that requires judges is NOT
a sport. Real sports are either timed or have scoring. Downhill
racing is a sport. Snow dancing on a plank is NOT.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old January 29th 14, 08:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:43:13 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

lal_truckee wrote:
The bigger story was two NBC staffers having an affair were warned not
to use phones to communicate as everything in the Russian networks are
subject to monitoring and recorded.

Other news white house offering bigger prize if you take out Snowden.

But can you trust the White House to keep it's word?

Old February 1st 14, 06:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:24:38 AM UTC-8, lal_truckee wrote:
Time to review Network TV Olympic principles.

No.1 It's not a real sport unless Americans have a good chance of winning.

No.2 It's not a popular sport unless Americans win.

No.3 The winner's a hero if and only if s/he overcame the incredible

handicap of a dyspeptic uncle or some-such affliction.

No.4 Snowboarding is the coolest thing this side of figure skating.

I used to watch curling on Canadian tv stations when we lived near the border. At the time, I thought it was deathly boring.

Now I find it strangely interesting. I must be getting old.
Old February 1st 14, 02:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Richard Henry wrote:
I used to watch curling on Canadian tv stations when we lived near the border. At the time, I thought it was deathly boring.

Now I find it strangely interesting. I must be getting old.

I did 10 years with japanese gardens and koi just did not move fast enough.

Now I look at the old racing guys and say I should be able to ski that
fast when I am that age.

Olympics Switters Snowboarding 10 February 25th 10 06:51 PM
NordiX at the olympics? Chris Cole Nordic Skiing 7 February 27th 06 01:04 PM
Olympics: Where the slalom at? Mike M. Miskulin Snowboarding 1 February 23rd 06 03:42 PM
Olympics Robert Stevahn Snowboarding 2 February 18th 06 06:02 PM
2006 Olympics Bob J Nordic Skiing 3 March 17th 05 07:41 PM