Alta Sued Over Snowboard Ban

Old January 19th 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default Alta Sued Over Snowboard Ban

downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Bob F wrote:
downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Pigo bailed from the sport just in time. He won't have anywhere to
ski now.

Powder skiing is not a sport it is a recreational activity, ski
racing is a sport.

Nonsense.

Sport (or sports) is all forms of usually competitive physical
activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to
use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing
entertainment to participants, and in some cases, spectators.

It is not a sport as hard as you try it is still not a sport.
It is just a physical activity it might be useful to improve some
skills but does not make it a sport.
& powder skiing is not competitive lets us be real

LOL!

Believe Webster?
2sport
noun : a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities
according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that
is done for enjoyment

But no. Only what you do is a sport. You are so far superior to everyone else
here. All the rest of us are nothing, and certainly couldn't be considered to be
engaged in a sport!

Old January 19th 14, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/18/14 4:39 PM, downhill wrote:

powder skiing is not competitive lets us be real

1) powder competitions have and are held, with varying degrees of
organization from ad hoc to regimented with prize money: look up "Powder
Eights." here's a report on last year's finals
http://www.examiner.com/article/usa-powder-8-championship-wraps-up-aspen-snowmass

2) if you don't think powder skiers are competitive you haven't seen the
slopes on a fresh powder day.

BTW, powder isn't the only non-gate game in town.

Old January 19th 14, 12:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/17/14 10:40 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

What about wheelchairs? Should they be allowed on the slopes too?

Well, sitzskis are all over the slopes around here. Some skiers are
fully independent: they wheel their chair to the snow carrying their
sitzski, transfer from chair to ski, and push to the lift. The chair is
left behind on the slopes as you were suggesting. AFAIK no chair has
been stolen.
Old January 19th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

lal_truckee wrote:
On 1/18/14 4:39 PM, downhill wrote:

powder skiing is not competitive lets us be real

1) powder competitions have and are held, with varying degrees of
organization from ad hoc to regimented with prize money: look up
"Powder Eights." here's a report on last year's finals
http://www.examiner.com/article/usa-powder-8-championship-wraps-up-aspen-snowmass

2) if you don't think powder skiers are competitive you haven't seen
the slopes on a fresh powder day.

LOL!!!!! Boy have you got THAT right.

BTW, powder isn't the only non-gate game in town.

Sport, in Downhill's mind excludes any activity in which he is totally
incompetent.

This is probably a sport to Downhill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62Z8Ev9OXA

Old January 19th 14, 01:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Bob F wrote:
Sport, in Downhill's mind excludes any activity in which he is totally
incompetent.

This is probably a sport to Downhill.

I glad you can read my mind & know what I think and obviously you have
seen me so you know my athletic ability to make such judgements.

By your wide definition of a sport being pushy and cutting people off in
the lift line would be a sport to you.
Old January 19th 14, 02:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:13:27 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote this crap:

Bob F wrote:
downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Pigo bailed from the sport just in time. He won't have anywhere to
ski now.

Powder skiing is not a sport it is a recreational activity, ski
racing is a sport.

Nonsense.

Sport (or sports) is all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,
through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve
physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants, and
in some cases, spectators.

That would make band a sport. Back to my banjo practice.

Don't drink and drive. Unless you have a good cup holder.
Old January 19th 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Sport, in Downhill's mind excludes any activity in which he is
totally incompetent.

This is probably a sport to Downhill.

I glad you can read my mind & know what I think and obviously you have
seen me so you know my athletic ability to make such judgements.

By your wide definition of a sport being pushy and cutting people off
in the lift line would be a sport to you.

One more down the tube.

Plonk!

Old January 19th 14, 08:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Sport, in Downhill's mind excludes any activity in which he is totally
incompetent.

This is probably a sport to Downhill.

I glad you can read my mind & know what I think and obviously you have
seen me so you know my athletic ability to make such judgements.

By your wide definition of a sport being pushy and cutting people off in
the lift line would be a sport to you.

Any sort of physical competition can be labelled as a sport. Other
activities, like Chess and Bridge fall under the sports definition,
especially Chess given its cutthroat competition.

Stuff like body building competitions, beauty pageants, figure skating,
synchronize swimming, even diving, and some freestyle skiing competitions
are either borderline or not sports, given the competition is really
between judges,
Old January 19th 14, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Bob F wrote:
downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Sport, in Downhill's mind excludes any activity in which he is
totally incompetent.

This is probably a sport to Downhill.

I glad you can read my mind & know what I think and obviously you have
seen me so you know my athletic ability to make such judgements.

By your wide definition of a sport being pushy and cutting people off
in the lift line would be a sport to you.

One more down the tube.

Plonk!

That a mature response, do you snowboard too?

Alta? Yadda Alpine Skiing 3 March 18th 10 07:33 PM
Boy, 8, sued in ski crash Dave Cartman Alpine Skiing 2 December 21st 07 05:33 PM
Another Alta Pic (almost) pigo Alpine Skiing 1 December 11th 04 11:53 PM
When in Alta scottabe Alpine Skiing 8 February 21st 04 11:26 PM
Alta feb 7-14 Vyni Backcountry Skiing 3 January 30th 04 08:56 PM