Fwd: Finns Rule

Old March 8th 04, 12:32 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Default Fwd: Finns Rule

This was posted Sunday on the Madison Nordic Skiers (Danenet) mail
group.

MadNorSkis,
We have just completed day 2 of the Rajalta Rajalle-hiihto, the 444K ski
tour across Finland. Our group has about 30 Finns, 10 Americans, about
12
Germans, some Swiss, Swedes, and French. The Finns have been very
gracious
and warm, not the stereotype of great reserve. Ned must have scared
them
when he was here. We skied 67K yesterday, 65K today, with 54K tomorrow,
followed by the big kahuna, 84K across the fens. I´ve eaten everything
they
have here and feel no ill effects.

We have met some real characters so far. Paavo is the self-styled King
of
the tour. He shared his wax bench with us so his is our King too. He
doesn´t like "Mr. Booooooooosh" and went on for some time about concerns
the Finns have. The country has been occupied or dominated for most of
its
history so they are tuned in to world politics. Our favorite Swede is
Lars, who comes from the sister city to Madison, which I cannot spell.
He´s a least 60 and skis like a maniac. He has made sure he finished
before us.

Anyway, we are having a great time and I hope you all come to the Monday
night club meeting to vote in some new blood.

See you soon.

Jimmy VandenBrook
Old March 9th 04, 01:37 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Default Finns Rule

RR Update

today was a nominal 54k but had á couple of surpises. right out of the
gate, some screaming downhills. we were supposed to wait til 8.30 to
start
but the euros all took off early. they show up early for everything. so
we
had to sweep the course. brilliant sun, -12 celcius, pretty fast.
Lilli,
a later 50s Finnish woman looks like she's slow but she's always at the
rest stops somehow. Most folks don't dally at the rest stops like us.

Today included three interesting climbs. They were a little later in
the
day and the temps warmed so our wax was not as effective. the first
climb
was about 7 minutes in length and we didn't think much about it. then
the
mother of all climbs stared at us. our wax was thin, the pitch was
pretty
steep, but doable if you were waxed right. we were'nt. 25 minutes of
steep
climbing with 35k already in. then the cherry on the sundae. we finished
with a 4k nasty climb up to the base of the ski mountain where we are
staying. One of our group admitted to having run out of sisu. then a
t-bar
ride to the top, which i dorked, to the amusement of gathered Finns.

The hotel is very nice and now we get to gather ourselves for the 84K
day
tomorrow. Supposedly it is flat. We'll see. General concensus is that
this is a fabulous event. We're a little tired but i think we're
getting
used to the steady skiing. i just wish i could ski flats as well as the
Finns. they are very efficient.

Wish you were here.'

Jimmy VandenBrook
Old March 11th 04, 03:02 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

We did our big 84K day (day 4 of the ski across Finland) yesterday and
it
was long but beautiful, and mainly flat. All the USA skiers (12) made it
in
though some just after dark. it took us just over 8 hours to get it
done.
On a plateau we saw huge flat crystals of hoar frost almost a centimeter
long covering everything. The sun made the landscape almost unnaturally
lovely. Sparkling like nothing you've seen. Anyone would love this
skiing. Lot's of time with no one else in sight and a track that goes
forever.

Today was a short day of just 46K but included a stop around an open
fire
near a little shelter where we roasted big sausages. Very cool. At the
next stop, Finnish grade school kids welcomed us in from the top of
their
snow castle with bells ringing. We signed their book. We are meeting
lots
of Euros and most are very friendly. A real treat occurred today. After
skiing and a shower, my new friend, Jean Paul, took me to meet his
Finnish
farmer friends who let us ride out on a sled to feed the reindeer! Then
we
were invited in for coffee!!!! Very friendly, lovely people. Their son
ski
races behind reindeer!!! It's ski-jouring with reindeer.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Jimmy VandenBrook