Slalom, What is my Problem?

Old December 30th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Brock

Default Slalom, What is my Problem?

For anyone here who has an interest in ski racing, you will know that
there are many different types of it. I personally compete in Slalom
and GS type courses. I am relatively proficient in GS, having placed
15th in the state race last year, but for some reason, I just can't
grasp slalom. My problem with it is that in the beginning of each race,
I begin going down through the course, and usually do very well within
the first 3 gates, but after a couple more, I find myself getting later
and later with each gate. I tend to have to throw my skis right
sideways so that I can slow down and start fresh. This is the worst
problem with me and if I can fix this I feel that I will be able to do
very well with these races. What can I do to fix my problem and do
better on the course? Thank you so much for any input!

-brock

Old December 30th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

Brock wrote:
For anyone here who has an interest in ski racing, you will know that
there are many different types of it. I personally compete in Slalom
and GS type courses. I am relatively proficient in GS, having placed
15th in the state race last year, but for some reason, I just can't
grasp slalom. My problem with it is that in the beginning of each race,
I begin going down through the course, and usually do very well within
the first 3 gates, but after a couple more, I find myself getting later
and later with each gate.

It's hard to say because I don't have a video of you in the course,
but, if you are late, then you are starting your turn to late. Your
1st three gates are good because you have not come up to speed. After
gate three, your speed is up and your turn initiation is late.

Again, it's just a guess, but it's a really common problem in SL. You
have to be forward and quick from turn to turn in SL. It's a
cumulative effect if you are not right on.

My .02 worth.
--
Marty

Old December 31st 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Brock wrote:
For anyone here who has an interest in ski racing, you will know that
there are many different types of it. I personally compete in Slalom
and GS type courses. I am relatively proficient in GS, having placed
15th in the state race last year, but for some reason, I just can't
grasp slalom. My problem with it is that in the beginning of each race,
I begin going down through the course, and usually do very well within
the first 3 gates, but after a couple more, I find myself getting later
and later with each gate. I tend to have to throw my skis right
sideways so that I can slow down and start fresh. This is the worst
problem with me and if I can fix this I feel that I will be able to do
very well with these races. What can I do to fix my problem and do
better on the course? Thank you so much for any input!

-brock

Get a skiers edge machine & watch a DVD of winning slalom runs while
trying to match turns on machine. This will help condition your legs to
quicker response.
The other suggestion is run as many gates as possible, when ever the
chance to train comes up. Also if training gates are set up short this
reduces speed and forces you to work on technique
Sometimes it helps to look a few gates ahead.

Where do you race?

michael
Old December 31st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

down_hill wrote:

Sometimes it helps to look a few gates ahead.

ALWAYS it helps to look ahead; a slalom racer should be setting up for
two gates ahead of the gate they are actually in. (Actually true for all
disciplines but we're talking slalom here.)

Also get on and off your edges immediately - slalom is physically
explosive rewarding power and quickness while GS rewards strength and
smoothness.

Good slalom has more differences from recreational skiing than any of
the other disciplines and recreational racing training gates are seldom
set for true slalom so it's difficult for recreational racers to improve
their slalom. It's difficult to even see good slalom in a situation
conducive to study.

Possibly find out the local USSA J1 open race schedule and attend a few
local races - at this level top skills are beginning to show in the top
seed (ignore the rest) but the racers are still slow enough that you can
see their technique; also at this level you can get right up on the
course at difficult gate sets and really study technique. This is
important because you seldom see sound technique in Masters races IMO
(serious Masters enter USSA J1 open races to determine their relative
skills against better skiers.) Properly positioned one can also
eavesdrop on a coach's comments to his racers as well - good pointers to
be had.

P.S. I've been gate judge at higher race levels and at times had
difficulty seeing whether the racer was inside or outside the gates it
was so fast - fun to attend but not so good for study.
Old December 31st 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

lal_truckee wrote:

down_hill wrote:

[...]

I have skied Summer National at Hood and New England masters races
several of the skiers are former world cup racers and exibit a very good
and sound technique. Other like my self are very happy when they finish
two slalom runs and get a time, and are poor examples of good racers.
When you hear a slalom pole hit the snow every second you have a good
run happening.
Old January 7th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Brock

down_hill wrote:

Get a skiers edge machine & watch a DVD of winning slalom runs while
trying to match turns on machine. This will help condition your legs to
quicker response.
The other suggestion is run as many gates as possible, when ever the
chance to train comes up. Also if training gates are set up short this
reduces speed and forces you to work on technique
Sometimes it helps to look a few gates ahead.

Where do you race?

michael

Maine.. Lost Valley, Sugarloaf USA, Sunday River, etc.

Old January 8th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

Brock wrote:

What can I do to fix my problem and do
better on the course? Thank you so much for any input!

What does your coach say?