Hectares vs. Km of Piste

Old January 10th 05, 01:33 PM
Champ

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:12:41 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:09:19 +0000, Champ wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:31:12 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

Edi wrote:
Why the difference and is there any way of comparing US and Euro
resorts on size ?

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

Never go off piste, eh?

So, the off-piste is counted in a resort's quoted 'km of piste' is it?

Dunno, but a typical US lift opens up a lot of terrain, which might
only have two marked routes down it.

FWIW I see some value in both descriptions, but like Edi I'm
frustrated by the lack of comparibility. Just means I have to ski them
all myself :-)

Yeah, that works.
--
Champ
Old January 10th 05, 01:35 PM
Champ

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:54:34 +0000, Sue wrote:

In message , Steve Haigh
writes

There are a lot of other factors to consider too, for example N America
does seem to have more frequent snow fall (I always seem to find more
powder in the US and Canade than I do in Europe). The exchange rates
too make N America very attractive to Brits in particular. The obvious
downside to a European is the distance to get there.

And the jetlag.

Yersh. Dealing with that right now. Never had it so bad before -
been back in the UK for 5 days now, and still have terribly disrupted
sleep.

And the horrible food.

That's just plain wrong - sure you can find bad food in the US, but
there's great stuff too.

--
Champ
Old January 10th 05, 01:48 PM
Ace

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:35:19 +0000, Champ wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:54:34 +0000, Sue wrote:

And the horrible food.

That's just plain wrong - sure you can find bad food in the US, but
there's great stuff too.

Says Mr. "I'm not really bothered about food" Champion... FWIW I agree
with Sue. I've had three 2-week trips to north merkania in the last
twelve months, and have always been mightily relieved to get back.

It's not that they don't have some good restaurants, but the more
normal eateries just have the same old crap everywhere. And frankly,
most of the stuff they put in bread and call a sandwich would be much
better just served on a plate without. Seems that many merkins have
lost the ability to use a knife and fork.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 10th 05, 02:53 PM
Alex Heney

wrote:

Edi wrote:
Why the difference and is there any way of comparing US and Euro
resorts on size ?

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

Never go off piste, eh?

So, the off-piste is counted in a resort's quoted 'km of piste' is it?

No, but it is included in the US "Acres of skiable territory".

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

Old January 10th 05, 03:06 PM
Ace

wrote:

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

Never go off piste, eh?

So, the off-piste is counted in a resort's quoted 'km of piste' is it?

No, but it is included in the US "Acres of skiable territory".

Yes, which is what makes it so difficult to compare. The above formula
is completely useless, of course. Interesting, though, that many runs
that would be, at most, itinèraires in Europe, are actually marked on
the maps of many north american resorts, even though they're not
signed or pisted. So even if they quoted 'km of runs' it would still
be a meaningless comparison.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 10th 05, 04:37 PM
funkraum

"Edi" wrote:

[...]
My dodgy generalisation is that the US resorts probably have shorter runs,
lower vertical drops but at least do have more of the white stuff which is
always useful if you want to slide down it.

Alps were glaciated. Rockies were not. Gives different terrain. The
slopes of the Rockies are wider, hence US skiers express surprise at
the number of catwalks in European resorts (which are bulldozed into
the mountain to enable easy transit).

Old January 10th 05, 06:24 PM
Marinus

better just served on a plate without. Seems that many merkins have
lost the ability to use a knife and fork.

Assuming they ever had the ability....

Marinus

Old January 10th 05, 06:42 PM
Colin Irvine

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:48:23 +0100, Ace squeezed
out the following:

It's not that they don't have some good restaurants, but the more
normal eateries just have the same old crap everywhere. And frankly,
most of the stuff they put in bread and call a sandwich would be much
better just served on a plate without. Seems that many merkins have
lost the ability to use a knife and fork.

Most of them can use one at a time.

--
Colin Irvine
Old January 10th 05, 11:49 PM
Champ

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:22:45 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

Never go off piste, eh?

No.

Good :-)

--