Decisions, decisions

Old December 10th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

Default Decisions, decisions

Once again I'm wondering where to go and what to do. As ever, a mix of
skiing and snow boarding is the plan. On skis I like reasonably
challenging piste runs with the possibility of easy-ish off-piste, or
maybe another week of novice off-piste instruction. On the snowboard,
good snow and a good novice/intermediate fun park would be nice. I
might do another two-week ski-drive holiday.

Ski Beat seem to do reasonable deals on catered chalets in the 3V
(though I don't know what the billy-no-mates-rate might be): anyone
have any experience with them? I quite fancy a change from Flaine,
though if I did drive then Flaine would probably feature as at least
one of the weeks.

--
-Pip
Old December 11th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:28:19 +0000, Pip Luscher squeezed out the
following:

Once again I'm wondering where to go and what to do. As ever, a mix of
skiing and snow boarding is the plan. On skis I like reasonably
challenging piste runs with the possibility of easy-ish off-piste, or
maybe another week of novice off-piste instruction. On the snowboard,
good snow and a good novice/intermediate fun park would be nice. I
might do another two-week ski-drive holiday.

Ski Beat seem to do reasonable deals on catered chalets in the 3V
(though I don't know what the billy-no-mates-rate might be): anyone
have any experience with them? I quite fancy a change from Flaine,
though if I did drive then Flaine would probably feature as at least
one of the weeks.

I've had several holidays with Ski Beat (La Plagne and Tignes) and
found them ok. A couple of times I've booked pre-Xmas at the last
minute and talked my way out of a single supplement.

I have to say if I were going back to the 3V I'd just head for VT. We
found Meribel and Courcheval crowded and expensive, whereas VT always
pleases.

--
Colin Irvine
Old December 11th 10, 10:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 01:12:08 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

I have to say if I were going back to the 3V I'd just head for VT. We
found Meribel and Courcheval crowded and expensive, whereas VT always
pleases.

That's the one valley (of the original three) that I haven't stayed
in. Useful, ta.

--
-Pip
Old December 14th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_6_]

wrote:

I have to say if I were going back to the 3V I'd just head for VT. We
found Meribel and Courcheval crowded and expensive, whereas VT always
pleases.

That's the one valley (of the original three) that I haven't stayed
in. Useful, ta.

--
-Pip

OTOH, Les Menuires is improving fast these days, and Saint-Martin de
Belleville is just a nice place to be.

In fact I'll be heading over there from tomorrow for a quick visit :-)

Also planning to try out the gondola link from Orelle, which gives you
back-door access to VT without the long drive up. Plus free parking and more
skiing nearby in Val Cenis/Bonneval, Valfréjus, Valloire/Valmeinier, etc.

Lots more options than most people realise, in fact... we've reviewed some
of these and will be adding the others shortly.

Roger
www.mountainpassions.com - Independent, Expert Insight with Altitude

Old December 14th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:58:46 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

OTOH, Les Menuires is improving fast these days, and Saint-Martin de
Belleville is just a nice place to be.

In fact I'll be heading over there from tomorrow for a quick visit :-)

Also planning to try out the gondola link from Orelle, which gives you
back-door access to VT without the long drive up. Plus free parking and more
skiing nearby in Val Cenis/Bonneval, Valfréjus, Valloire/Valmeinier, etc.

Worth knowing, thanks. Especially the free parking. I guess I was just
lucky the first time I drove to the Alps: in both Alpe d'Huez and
Mottaret, I was able to park right outside my accomodation for free.

Lots more options than most people realise, in fact... we've reviewed some
of these and will be adding the others shortly.

Well, I'm leaning towards doing a 'long week', consisting of
Friday-Sunday with Monday off, which will probably mean just Flaine
again. This would give me 8 days' skiing.

The reaon I'll probably not do two weeks like I have in the past is
because I've spent the latter part of this year desperately nursing my
holiday ration and I reckon that a two week skiing holiday comes to
something over two grand the way I've been doing it lately (solo
drive) and I'm thinking of buying another 'crosser next year.

--
-Pip