Distance of the 3 Vallees Route

Old February 2nd 04, 04:46 PM
CMH

Default Distance of the 3 Vallees Route

If only someone could invent a device to track how far you have been
skiing I wouldn't need to ask this question! Two of us have just
returned from Meribel and on our last day we decided to try and
complete the following route on red & blue runs only, which we just
managed in 6 1/2 hours:-

Meribel Mottaret Courchevel 1650 Mont de la Bray Courchevel 1850
Courchevel 1550 Courchevel Le Praz Courchevel La Tania Meribel

Village Meribel 1450 St. Martin de Belleville Les Menuires Val
Thorens Meribel Mottaret.

We would like to know if anyone can approximate the distance we skiied
that day - It's quite difficult to judge from the piste map and we
have a little bet going as to who's nearer our guesses - I say around
50 miles and he says nearer 75.

Any ideas?

Cheers all and Happy Skiing

Colin
Old February 2nd 04, 05:46 PM
helloblondie

"CMH" wrote in message
m...
Meribel Mottaret Courchevel 1650 Mont de la Bray Courchevel 1850
Courchevel 1550 Courchevel Le Praz Courchevel La Tania Meribel

Village Meribel 1450 St. Martin de Belleville Les Menuires Val
Thorens Meribel Mottaret.

We would like to know if anyone can approximate the distance we skiied
that day - It's quite difficult to judge from the piste map and we
have a little bet going as to who's nearer our guesses - I say around
50 miles and he says nearer 75.

Any ideas?

Cheers all and Happy Skiing

Colin

I have a very accurate map! The distance is exactly 62.5 miles well done
guys!

Eamonn

Old February 3rd 04, 09:00 AM
Steve Haigh

CMH wrote:
If only someone could invent a device to track how far you have been
skiing I wouldn't need to ask this question!

A GPS device will do this for you. And it can tell you other things like
max speed during the day. Very amusing stuff.
Old February 3rd 04, 02:49 PM
James Hart

Steve Haigh wrote:
CMH wrote:
If only someone could invent a device to track how far you have been
skiing I wouldn't need to ask this question!

A GPS device will do this for you. And it can tell you other things
like max speed during the day. Very amusing stuff.

Any reccomendations on a particular make for this? I'm a bit of a gadget
freak and fancy a crack at logging the day's fun.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old February 3rd 04, 03:45 PM
Roger

A GPS device will do this for you. And it can tell you other things like
max speed during the day. Very amusing stuff.

A bit sad though... ;-)
Old February 3rd 04, 04:11 PM
Greg Hilton

"James Hart" wrote in news:bvoci4$ulkeu$1@ID-
76251.news.uni-berlin.de:

Any reccomendations on a particular make for this? I'm a bit of a

gadget
freak and fancy a crack at logging the day's fun.

Try suunto watches

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suu...npage.frameset

SUUNTO S6

Measure and store your maximum speed and avarage speed of a run. With
altimeter, barometer, compass, watch, skichrono and PC interface.

Suunto S6 is a new wristop computer especially designed for alpine
skiing and snowboarding. It offers a unique combination of three
functional dimensions: it gives the user essential information instantly
when riding on and off pistes. A level of deeper understanding comes
with the PC interface. It also opens a door to an Internet community
where skiers and snowboarders worldwide can share and acquire
information with and from other users of Suunto´s latest wristop
computer generation.

INFORMATION IN ACTION

Know your sports
- The combination of altimeter and clinometer enables alpine skiers and
snowboarders to measure their speed.
- Recording of altitude profile at 2-, 10-, or 60-second intervals gives
information on the daily performance.
- The chronograph records the maximum and average speed and the altitude
profile of individual runs at 2-second intervals and offers advanced
timing functions and an interval reminder.
- Real-time accumulated descent values and total number of skiing runs.

Know your environment
- Information on the surrounding terrain, such as altitude,
ascent/descent rate, compass bearing, weather trends, barometric
pressure, and degree of slope offer new ways to get more out of the
experience.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:12 PM
Steve Haigh

James Hart wrote:
Steve Haigh wrote:

CMH wrote:

If only someone could invent a device to track how far you have been
skiing I wouldn't need to ask this question!

A GPS device will do this for you. And it can tell you other things
like max speed during the day. Very amusing stuff.

Any reccomendations on a particular make for this? I'm a bit of a gadget
freak and fancy a crack at logging the day's fun.

My mate had a Garmin eTrex (or something like that). Not sure how much
it cost, but it's pretty small and fairly robust (he dropped it in the
car park and it dodn't seem to mind). They sell them at most large
camping and outdoor shops, I'm not sure you'll find them in ski shops
though.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:16 PM
Steve Haigh

Roger wrote:

A GPS device will do this for you. And it can tell you other things like
max speed during the day. Very amusing stuff.

A bit sad though... ;-)

On a skiing holiday, on-piste in a ski resort, yes I'd say it was pretty
sad... I'd be glad of one if I got lost in the back of beyond somewhere,
but it's hardly essential kit in a ski resort. Even more sad is when
your mate uses it to calibrate the speedo in the hire car... for what
it's worth the Golf we had was reading 5kmh too high @ 130kmh...
Old February 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
cupra

Steve Haigh wrote:
Roger wrote:
=20
A GPS device will do this for you. And it can tell you other things
like max speed during the day. Very amusing stuff.

=20
=20
A bit sad though... ;-)

On a skiing holiday, on-piste in a ski resort, yes I'd say it was
pretty sad... I'd be glad of one if I got lost in the back of beyond
somewhere, but it's hardly essential kit in a ski resort.

I'm going to use my etrex (which I use for mountain bike trail =
navigation) to measure my top speed on the piste - I've always =
wondered......

Even more
sad is when your mate uses it to calibrate the speedo in the hire
car... for what it's worth the Golf we had was reading 5kmh too high
@ 130kmh...=20

My focus is 70mph true with 76mph indicated.....

--=20
cupra (remove nospam please to mail)

Haute Route on board? -V- Snowboarding 5 March 19th 04 12:24 AM
3 Vallees Lift Pass Mike_Chapman European Ski Resorts 30 January 20th 04 11:35 AM
Quickest route Geneva airport to Val D'Isere Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 20 November 28th 03 01:02 PM
Mont Blanc - Grand Mulets Route David Off Snowboarding 2 July 17th 03 08:41 AM