word of warning

Old January 9th 04, 02:43 PM
MoonMan

Default word of warning

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

A it wasn't me gov, it was my wife

seriously though I'm only talking about 90MPH (140kph?).
BTW do the cameras know if its raining?

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 9th 04, 02:47 PM
MoonMan

Ian Spare wrote:
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it
to Calais without passing a camera.

You forgot the belgians and the (one that I noticed) germans. I doubt my
freelander td4 with four passengers and a roof box could get to 180kph, at
least without a long runup and no traffic in the way, which didn't happen on
saturday the 3rd.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 9th 04, 03:17 PM
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM)

Im not familier with the route down to Frnace nowadays however,I live in
Holland & used to frequently cruise the autobahns to Austria & I would
say that 90%+ of the drivers pulled up by the Polizi in Germany are
Dutch. The Dutch tend to forget there the many restricted speed zones ,
haha !! May also be of course the German Polizi getting there own back
for The Dutch cops waiting at the border booking the germans blasting
upto the Dutch beaches in the summer !!

Nowadays I go by train, virtually guaranteed door to door 10hrs &
relaxing :-)

BTW . I was going to say If you want to see how we deal with Cameras in
Holland check this out www.tuttut.nl but have appeared to have moved on
been taken down ;-)

Nigel

Ian Spare wrote:
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it to
Calais without passing a camera.

Ian

Old January 9th 04, 03:41 PM
PG

"MoonMan" wrote in message
| Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
| What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
| rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)
|
| A it wasn't me gov, it was my wife

Some of the cameras in France take the photos from the front, so the
Christine Hamilton tactic wouldn't work here! ... at least, not in most
cases ;o) Besides, doesn't the Napoleonic Code in France still say that
an accused is presumed guilty until proven innocent?

Pete

Old January 9th 04, 03:49 PM
MoonMan

PG wrote:
"MoonMan" wrote in message
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

A it wasn't me gov, it was my wife

Some of the cameras in France take the photos from the front, so the
Christine Hamilton tactic wouldn't work here! ... at least, not in
most cases ;o) Besides, doesn't the Napoleonic Code in France still
say that an accused is presumed guilty until proven innocent?

Actually I wasn't kidding, I only rarely went over 130kph the other half
OTOH kept creeping over 90mph and humphing when if I noticed and pointed it
out. The odd thing is that she drives slower than me at home, possibly
because her car ( a peugeot 206 cc) displays her mpg and she pays for the
petrol, but more likely because she commutes the busy way on the A14 and I
go the the other way

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 9th 04, 03:49 PM
Ian Spare

MoonMan wrote:
Ian Spare wrote:

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it
to Calais without passing a camera.

You forgot the belgians and the (one that I noticed) germans. I doubt my

Not really, it was UK and Dutch plates I saw. Some Dutch are pretty bad
for this, they tear across Switzerland at 160kph as well even though
it's a 120 limit and then carry on into Germany where they become slow
traffic until they reach the restricted sections at 130 which they
proceed to ignore. It's especially annoying if you've just managed to
pass 8 Dutch cars doing 160kph in the outside line only to find them
steaming past you 2 minutes later in a restricted section. The Belgians
do the same but aren't quite as bad.

freelander td4 with four passengers and a roof box could get to 180kph, at
least without a long runup and no traffic in the way, which didn't happen on
saturday the 3rd.

It was pretty quiet at 3 in the afternoon but I'm sure it was pretty
busy in the morning.

Ian
Old January 9th 04, 03:53 PM
Ian Spare

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

Im not familier with the route down to Frnace nowadays however,I live in
Holland & used to frequently cruise the autobahns to Austria & I would
say that 90%+ of the drivers pulled up by the Polizi in Germany are
Dutch. The Dutch tend to forget there the many restricted speed zones ,

ha.. I hadn't read this when I just posted the comment about the Dutch.
I thought I wasn't imagining it -

There's a couple of sections between Basel and Heidelberg I would say
it's easy to lose track of if you're in a restricted section or not
though but there's a sizeable percentage who are plainly ignoring the
limits.

Ian

Old January 9th 04, 04:00 PM
MoonMan

Ian Spare wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Ian Spare wrote:

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

[...]

I was coming home, left Les 2 Alpes about 8:15, got to Calais about 19:45,
it was busy for an autoroute, but not like the M25 the only real problem
we had was caused by an accident at Rheims, 7k of slo moving trafic before
the peage, the road reports for traffic going to the resorts sounded
horrific though.
first time i've seen most of France covered in snow.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 9th 04, 04:27 PM
Ian Spare

MoonMan wrote:

I was coming home, left Les 2 Alpes about 8:15, got to Calais about 19:45,
it was busy for an autoroute, but not like the M25 the only real problem

:-) I picked my girlfriends brother up from Geneva on the 23/12 and I
was moaning about heavy traffic and he thought I was taking the mickey
as we were still moving along the autoroute at 100kph. It's easy, and
preferable, to forget about UK traffic, it seems worse each time I go to
there.

Old January 11th 04, 04:03 PM
Alan Rowland

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

What's it matter? Er....if I leave work in Leeds at 5pm Friday and get a
10:30 ferry out of Dover, which arrives in Calais at about 01:00 local time,
I can be skiing in Chamonix or Alpe d'Huez or Tignes by 10:30.

I wouldn't reccommend doing more than about 90-95mph in France, but if it
takes you 15hrs from Calais to the mountains, you lose a day's skiing,
simple as that!

Al