Progressing to Deeper Snow

Old March 6th 04, 08:45 PM
Nick Towers

Default Progressing to Deeper Snow

Hi, I've been scanning through the FAQ/archives and whilst width of
boards is mentioned a lot, deep snow/powder conditions aren't always
mentioned. I'm a reasonable boarder on piste (happy to go down anything
they'll mark open normal or fakie) but don't have much experience in
deep snow, other than just coming to a halt. I've got a fairly small
board (159 length, 29 tip width, 25 waist width and I'm 6foot / 80kg
/ US size 13 boots) which is great on pistes/parks but may be part of
the reason I just seem to sink off piste?

I'm looking at going on a trip which would have lots of deep off
piste virgin snow and I'm wondering if I need a bigger board and
in particular if I should get more width, more length, or both.
I like fairly square foot positions so think I could carry the
width but have never had a chance to try a "wide" board. (Trip
will be in middle of nowhere so don't need to get a board which
is also fine on parks/pistes - there won't be any...).

ie. Does it makes sense to get a wide board in order to float more
on deep snow or are wide boards only there for people having issues
with overhang? (In terms of surface area an extra cm width seems a
much bigger win than a couple of cms on the length). An example
board I'm looking at is the Nitro Saber 166 which has about 32
tip width / 27 waist.

Any advice greatly appreciated - being stuck in deep snow (in a
section that wasn't very steep) whilst with some skiiers who had
no problems is not something I'd like to repeat

Cheers, Nick
Old March 8th 04, 02:30 AM
Rider Josh

(Nick Towers) wrote in message . com...
[...]

It sounds like you would probably benefit from a bigger board for
powder. If money isn't an issue the Nitro sounds like it would better
fit your feet and desired stance.

If money is tight, setting your stance as far toward the tail of your
159 as you can. This will maximize your powder float riding forwards.
It will make riding switch in powder a chore, but the way I see it you
can ride switch all you want on the packed snow days.

Either board option, setting your stance further tailward for deep
powder riding, and closer to center or centered for packed conditions
is a dramatically effective way to get the most out of any board.
Old March 8th 04, 11:28 AM
phil

[...] I've got a fairly small board (159 length, 29 tip width, 25
waist width and I'm 6foot / 80kg / US size 13 boots) which is
great on pistes/parks but may be part of the reason I just
seem to sink off piste?

Yup, they wouldn't let you on a helicopter with a board that length
unless it was a fish. Even then, at your weight you'd probably want
something bigger than that.

If you're going to a cat/ heli operator then you can borrow/ rent
something from them. At 60kgs I'd generally ride a 168 powder board..
you'd need something bigger. Generally the deeper it gets the bigger
board you would use, although I tend to stick with the one length (but
I know how to drive it..).

Most people I know carry a couple of boards with them... one for the
piste and one for the steep & deep. You might need three if you ride
parks too ;-)

Flame guard: yes, I know you can ride anything on anything, but some
things are silly, like wasting collective time.

phil
Old March 8th 04, 03:02 PM
toddjb

board I'm looking at is the Nitro Saber 166 which has about 32
tip width / 27 waist.

I'd avoid the Saber. I test rode that this year and that board is a pig.
Very slow edge to edge response...not very responsive all together. Rode
much like a K2 Fat Bob which I suppose is a good first board for wide feet.

If you want to go high end, check out the Ride Yukon, Burton Canyon or Baron,
or go a little lower in cost and you'll see a few wide boards that Ride
has out. (I forget which is which...but I think the Ride Fleetwood and
Mountain are wide?) And the Burton Canyon dropped in price this past year
and may be what you need.

This isn't a knock against Nitro. I've heard good things about the Shadow,
but the Saber was the worst of 7 boards I demoed one day this year.
FWIW

-todd
Old March 8th 04, 03:19 PM
Mike T

And the Burton Canyon dropped in price this past year
and may be what you need.

Check the construction specs on the Burton site - the Canyon used to be a
"wide Custom" and now it's a "wide Indie". Note the extruded base as well
as the the core construction. They're just sticking an old name on a new
(lesser) model.

Mike T

Old March 8th 04, 06:35 PM
Jason Watkins

I'm sure phil will jump in any moment now to sing the praises of the
fish .

My powder experience is strictkly limited to resort powder... so I've
not really touched the truely bottomless stuff other than pockets here
and there. So I'd hesitate to reccomend a board other than both longer
and wider should float better. If I was planning on going myself, I'd
likely get the largest board I could suffer through whatever trees I
might expect, and then go wide enough for a cozy stance. I believe
something with a slightly softer flex, specificly in the nose so that
it can bend up and act as a longer "bow", would help.

Some people would reccomend backsetting your stance... myself I've
only tried it once, and with miserable results. I spent a whole day
trying to come to grips with it, and it just didn't work for me. I
felt like it was impossible to get enough pressure on the nose to
quickly initiate turns on steeper slopes, even in fairly deep loose
snow. Once I went back to my usual centered stance, I was much
happier. So find out what works for you.

There's also powder specific board designs like the fish or
swallowtails. I'm very curious to try a swallow tail, the few people
I've seen on them on powder days this season seemed to be having a lot
of fun. I'd like to try a fish as well. But it's my guess that both of
these migth be a bit more of a gamble compared to just getting a nice
big soft board.

If you're only going to be on wide open terrain and truely want *tons*
of float... there's always the Rad-Air Tanker 200cm
Old March 9th 04, 05:38 PM
Dean

toddjb wrote:

I'd avoid the Saber. I test rode that this year and that board is a pig.
Very slow edge to edge response...not very responsive all together. Rode
much like a K2 Fat Bob which I suppose is a good first board for wide feet.

I find your comment about the K2 Fatbob to be interesting because I have one and
have had an issue with quick edge-to-edge transitions. I have long feet and the
Fatbob was what a local store had that would fit them, which is why I have one.
It is my first board. The only other board I've used was a rental that I used
twice.

I've watched others quickly move from edge-to-edge, but the people have also been
much younger than me and usually smaller. I'm confident they had a narrower if
not also shorter board. The problem could be me and my old knees and legs, or
maybe I just need to practice more.

I've ordered a new board and am waiting for delivery. I look forward to comparing
it to my K2.

On Sunday I boarded in 5 inches of fresh, wet snow. That was the first time I've
been able to board in fresh snow more than an inch deep because the resort left
it alone. It was fun, but a lot more work than a groomed hill. During one trip up
the lift a skier asked me if my board was stalling in the snow. I didn't have any
problem. It glided just fine, even on the flat areas.

Dean

Old March 10th 04, 02:51 PM
toddjb

Dean wrote in message ...

I find your comment about the K2 Fatbob to be interesting because I have one and
have had an issue with quick edge-to-edge transitions. I have long feet and the
Fatbob was what a local store had that would fit them, which is why I have one.
It is my first board. The only other board I've used was a rental that I used
twice.

You should enjoy your new board. My first board was a FatBob and I loved
it...until I tried a better board. Fatbob is a great first wide board,
but even if you have big feet, the waist can be a little thinner than the 'ol
Bob or the new Saber. They are making boots a little shorter these days,
you can raise your bindings up, or just look for a board with a tighter
sidecut radius.

What's your new board?

-todd
Old March 10th 04, 10:29 PM
Dean

toddjb wrote:
What's your new board?

I've ordered a Donek Wide 161. I'm waiting for delivery. I was hoping to
receive it in time to try it once or twice on a local hill before I pack
and travel to a real mountain. I think some of the local resorts might
be able to hold out one or two more weeks before warm weather and rain
closes them.

Dean

Snow Skate questions Doug Kanter Snowboarding 2 December 30th 03 09:37 PM
loadsa snow NIC ATKINSON Snowboarding 0 December 1st 03 03:27 PM
It's Dumping Snow All Over !!!!!!! Greg Snowboarding 0 November 19th 03 07:13 PM
early snow three valleys NIC ATKINSON Snowboarding 0 November 6th 03 03:38 PM
Whistler snow! VIP Mountain Holidays Snowboarding 1 September 16th 03 09:08 PM