Carrying an SLR?

Old January 1st 05, 07:10 PM
Greg Hilton

Default Carrying an SLR?

I've finally succumbed and bought an EOS 300D due to the great price and
£100 rebate.

How do you guys carry your SLR's on the hill?

regards,

greg

Old January 2nd 05, 03:06 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

AstroPax wrote:
http://ski.astropax.com/04-05/dakine_sequence.htm

Astro,

Does that pack have a Camelback holder and ski carrier straps?

I use a DaKine Chute which also has back access and a good amount of room
(plus water pouch and ski carrier straps). I put my camera in a small waist
pack inside the big pack. When I hit a stump the other day, I flipper
around and landed on the pack. No problems (but landed in soft snow).

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us

Old January 2nd 05, 02:11 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

AstroPax wrote:
... As you very well know, with the Chute, you can just spin it around on
your waste while still attached by the belt, and rip on the dual
zippers. Not that easy with the Sequence ...

Yes, I really like that with the Chute and am often in places where I do
not want to bend over, let alone but something on the steep slope. I can be
in the pack in seconds. But, I wish I had a better system for what
surrounds the camera inside the pack. I have waist packs with padding that
I put in the pack and can access the 28-85 zoom lens pretty easily but the
70-200 pack is a real pain. I sometimes pull the inner pack out and have
it on my waist on shooting days but the pinnas think I have the largest
cordura penis gourd on the planet. I think some design between the Chute
and Sequence would be what we need. Maybe I can create my own foam cutout.
Hmmmm...

... I'm still experimenting with attaching the mammoth Gitzo-Markins M20
tripod combo...

Nice tripod. You might consider a second lighter duty tripod for
travelling. I have a Hakuba Branner S5 that weighs nothing and would easily
strap to a pack.

Mike...

Old January 4th 05, 04:46 PM
Greg Hilton

AstroPax wrote in
:

However, if just carrying a single SLR with one attached lens, I find
that a regular old rucksack day pack

Glad you said that! I already have a rucksack with all my avalanche gear in
it, (probe, shovel etc), so I just need some foam for the SLR and I'm all
set

cheers,

greg

Old January 4th 05, 09:44 PM
Mary Malmros

Greg Hilton wrote:

AstroPax wrote in
:

However, if just carrying a single SLR with one attached lens, I find
that a regular old rucksack day pack

Glad you said that! I already have a rucksack with all my avalanche gear in
it, (probe, shovel etc), so I just need some foam for the SLR and I'm all
set

Yeah, now here's the problem -- rucksack-style daypacks are getting
pretty damn hard to find! I went looking for one when my three-year-old
Atomic freebie daypack started to delaminate, and was very disappointed
to find that all the daypack manufacturers seem to have gone to panel
compartments with zipper closures. Cheez whiz! Anyone know who's still
making small rucksacks?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 5th 05, 12:10 AM
Robert Swindells

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:44:46 -0600, Mary Malmros wrote:

Greg Hilton wrote:

AstroPax wrote in
:

However, if just carrying a single SLR with one attached lens, I find
that a regular old rucksack day pack

Glad you said that! I already have a rucksack with all my avalanche gear in
it, (probe, shovel etc), so I just need some foam for the SLR and I'm all
set

Yeah, now here's the problem -- rucksack-style daypacks are getting
pretty damn hard to find! I went looking for one when my three-year-old
Atomic freebie daypack started to delaminate, and was very disappointed
to find that all the daypack manufacturers seem to have gone to panel
compartments with zipper closures. Cheez whiz! Anyone know who's still
making small rucksacks?

If you mean packs with a top flap closure, how about Invicta ?

Robert Swindells

Old January 5th 05, 02:21 AM
Mary Malmros

Robert Swindells wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:44:46 -0600, Mary Malmros wrote:

Greg Hilton wrote:

AstroPax wrote in
:

However, if just carrying a single SLR with one attached lens, I find
that a regular old rucksack day pack

Glad you said that! I already have a rucksack with all my avalanche gear in
it, (probe, shovel etc), so I just need some foam for the SLR and I'm all
set

Yeah, now here's the problem -- rucksack-style daypacks are getting
pretty damn hard to find! I went looking for one when my three-year-old
Atomic freebie daypack started to delaminate, and was very disappointed
to find that all the daypack manufacturers seem to have gone to panel
compartments with zipper closures. Cheez whiz! Anyone know who's still
making small rucksacks?

If you mean packs with a top flap closure, how about Invicta ?

I mean packs with a drawstring closure, typically covered by a flap or
hood. The Invicta may have such a closure, but you can't tell from the
photos or descriptions, as in
http://www.ebags.com/invicta/wayaki_...?modelid=41955

Old January 5th 05, 10:48 PM
Greg Hilton

Yeah, now here's the problem -- rucksack-style daypacks are getting
pretty damn hard to find!

Do any of these work for you?

http://www.backcountry.com/store/gro...ter-Packs.html

regards,

Greg

Old January 5th 05, 11:03 PM
Mary Malmros

Greg Hilton wrote:

Yeah, now here's the problem -- rucksack-style daypacks are getting
pretty damn hard to find!

Do any of these work for you?

http://www.backcountry.com/store/gro...ter-Packs.html

They all look like zip closures, at least the smaller ones.

Old January 6th 05, 12:52 AM
Robert Swindells

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:21:44 -0600, Mary Malmros wrote:

I mean packs with a drawstring closure, typically covered by a flap or
hood. The Invicta may have such a closure, but you can't tell from the
photos or descriptions, as in
http://www.ebags.com/invicta/wayaki_...?modelid=41955

I can't view that link as their website is "clever" enough to redirect me
to their UK site.

From memory they have an internal drawstring.

Robert Swindells