Warm gloves

Old December 9th 04, 02:04 AM
gr

Default Warm gloves

Here is an answer about warm gloves (without the long thread of chit chat);
1) Mittens or lobster claws definitely help keep the fingers warmer.
Some of these are rather porous and let the wind through, so they are to
be avoided.
2) Layers are good for the hands also! A very thin silk liner glove
inside a mitten will work wonders. Just like the rest of the body , it's
all about keeping the skin dry, and the hands can perspire quite a bit.
On colder days, thin wool gloves (I use Smartwool) as liners work even
better. I sometimes wear all 3 layers.
3) Just a note on feet; a coolmax liner sock, or other wicking sock is
essential to warm feet.
gr

Old December 9th 04, 03:42 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-09, gr penned:
Here is an answer about warm gloves (without the long thread of chit chat);
1) Mittens or lobster claws definitely help keep the fingers warmer.
Some of these are rather porous and let the wind through, so they are to
be avoided.
2) Layers are good for the hands also! A very thin silk liner glove
inside a mitten will work wonders. Just like the rest of the body , it's
all about keeping the skin dry, and the hands can perspire quite a bit.
On colder days, thin wool gloves (I use Smartwool) as liners work even
better. I sometimes wear all 3 layers.
3) Just a note on feet; a coolmax liner sock, or other wicking sock is
essential to warm feet.
gr

Yup. I visited Gart's (not impressed by their selection, but you never know),
then dropped by a backcountry store I'd almost forgotten. There, I found
GraniteGear mittens, and the store guy recommended Marmot power stretch gloves
as the wickingest underglove he'd ever used.

I asked him about gloves with heater-thing pockets. He shrugged and said,
that's a cop-out for gloves that don't keep you warm enough. I like that
answer.

http://www.granitegear.com/products/...ts/index.shtml

My husband tried them on and promptly announced that "You are gonna be so
friggin' warm in these things." Sounds good to me.

I get to test these out on Saturday =) yippie!

As for point three, I have nice, thin, wicking socks.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 9th 04, 03:50 AM

gr wrote:
Here is an answer about warm gloves (without the long thread of chit

chat);
1) Mittens or lobster claws definitely help keep the fingers warmer.
Some of these are rather porous and let the wind through, so they are

be avoided.
2) Layers are good for the hands also! A very thin silk liner glove
inside a mitten will work wonders. Just like the rest of the body ,

it's
all about keeping the skin dry, and the hands can perspire quite a

bit.
On colder days, thin wool gloves (I use Smartwool) as liners work

even
better. I sometimes wear all 3 layers.
3) Just a note on feet; a coolmax liner sock, or other wicking sock

is
essential to warm feet.
gr

I agree with the mittens with layers. I was at Whistler when it was
very cold and my hands were freezing despite having good gloves. I
purchased some mittens and they outperformed my gloves noticebly. I
then hit another cold period (I think ten below was the warmest it got)
in Big Sky and it was mittens all week.

Fred

Old December 9th 04, 07:25 AM
Janet

gr wrote:

[...]

My favorites are still my LL Bean gloves - goretex shell with fleece
liners. Warm hands even in below zero temps. Before I got these I always
needed mittens, sometimes w/ liners. I did buy lightweight liners for
when I don't need the fleece liners. Sometimes I just wear the shell.

These are not specifically ski gloves, but they work for skiing. Even
where I duct-taped the fingers after tearing them up after a crash on an
icy slalom course a few years ago.

Janet

Old December 9th 04, 07:32 PM
uglymoney

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:42:37 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

On 2004-12-09, gr penned:
[...]

Sweet! I really hope that they work out for you, and I think they
will. If they are like mine, another advantage is that you can easily
remove the liner (s) at lunch or brunch so that they can dry out.

An interesting sidenote, I bought my GG gloves directly from the
factory in Two Harbors, Minnesota. Purchased a stuff sack for my -20
sleeping bag at the same time. An excellent stuff sack that
compresses the hell out of my sleeping bag, and it also looks as good
as when I bought it (probably 1996-7 or so). I'd stopped for the
stuff sack, the gloves were an impulse buy, as me and my friend were
in route to do a couple days overnight up by Lutsen in a tent and it
was FREEZING cold! Brrr. A midwest Tele yoyo tour. It was all good
till my friends Saab refused to start at the remote parking lot the
second morning. As a last gasp effort, we put my MSR under his oil
pan and cranked it all the way up ... luckily just then one of those
much maligned Suburbans pulled in with jumper cables and saved our
asses from futher freezation.

At the time, they (GG) had 5 or six people on one side of the building
sewing all sorts of stuff together, and a tiny little shop on the
other side of the building with demo's of all their products. It was
all for sale if you were willing to pay retail. Pretty cool to see
the company when it was small and just starting up. I'm sure those
jobs have all been shipped overseas by now.

Anyway, let us know how they work out for you, eh?

nate