Any Kiwis online?

Old July 15th 03, 03:35 PM
MJD

Default Any Kiwis online?

I was wondering if the season was shaping up any better in NZ than here in
Oz?
Any reports from the Mainland?

Old July 16th 03, 10:20 AM
Peter McMillan

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:48:08 CST, lal_truckee
wrote:

Have you tried the aus.snow group? I don't know how many of them read
rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

I think there's quite a few aussie lurkers, but few posters. The
aus.snow community has largely moved to a different forum these day.

Peter

Old July 16th 03, 03:00 PM
MJD

Aus.snow died for the same reasons and persons as RSA
(
aus.snow people were amongst those voting for RSAM
I was hoping there'd be a few of them here.

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
MJD wrote:
I was wondering if the season was shaping up any better in NZ than here

in
Oz?
Any reports from the Mainland?

Not this Californio.

Old July 16th 03, 03:35 PM
lal_truckee

MJD wrote:
Aus.snow died for the same reasons and persons as RSA
(
aus.snow people were amongst those voting for RSAM
I was hoping there'd be a few of them here.

I hope so, too. The birthing pangs of r.s.a.m have unfortunately been
extended, although apparently the need is increasing.

Old August 4th 03, 02:30 PM
MJD

Mt Olympus is doing OK, I see.
Unfortunately I won't get there this year.
Bugger!

"Gregor Ronald" wrote in message
I'm in Christchurch, and haven't had any reason to get up and go yet. Mt
Hutt got 35-50cm to open with, but looks like main trails only, not worth
$72/day. Porters is just valley floor trails on lifts 1 & 2, lift 3 has
rocky patches. Cheeseman is shut. Generally it's crap in Canterbury.

I think Queenstown - Wanaka areas are better, but only just.

There are lots of NZ ski sites if you want to check - my web page has

links
on the right-hand side, http://www.inet.net.nz/~gregor/

Cheers,
Gregor

"MJD" wrote in message
I was wondering if the season was shaping up any better in NZ than here

in
Oz?
Any reports from the Mainland?

---

Old August 24th 03, 12:55 AM
Gregor Ronald

NZ has had a week of southerly/westerly storms and most areas report greatly
improved conditions. I think Wanaka and Queenstown have the best, though
most
Canterbury areas are still a bit dodgy. I can't comment on the North Island
but the TV ski report sounded positive.

Try http://www.snow.co.nz/

Cheers,
Gregor

"ant" wrote in message
m...
After the series of snowfalls the other week, the Oz season is now
looking pretty good all up! We got over a metre in 24 hours. On the
2nd day of blizzard, there wasn't a lot of work, so me and some
foreign colleagues found some unusually deep stuff to ski. thigh and
even waist deep (although i'm pretty short so maybe htat's not a
really good measurement). my colleagues were on the standard ski
instructor slaloms; I cheat with mid fats, and days like that you
remember why.
There was a top-up yesterday of about 5cms, now a high approacheth so
break out the sunscreen. And then we hope a new low can battle through
tuesday with some more snow for us.

Did UnZud get anything from those systems? maybe this high will push a
few lows down your way.

Old September 1st 03, 07:45 PM
ant

"Gregor Ronald" wrote in message ...
NZ has had a week of southerly/westerly storms and most areas report greatly
improved conditions. I think Wanaka and Queenstown have the best, though
most
Canterbury areas are still a bit dodgy. I can't comment on the North Island
but the TV ski report sounded positive.

Try http://www.snow.co.nz/

That's excellent news. We got dumps last weekend and into the first
half of this week, and now another huge blizzard is hitting our alps
as I type. It's great to hear NZ is getting the good stuff, albeit way
late.

ant

Old September 2nd 03, 09:20 PM
Sam Seiber

ant wrote:
That's excellent news. We got dumps last weekend and into the first
half of this week, and now another huge blizzard is hitting our alps
as I type. It's great to hear NZ is getting the good stuff, albeit way
late.

ant

Yikes ant, you make it sound like snow late is a bad thing.
We here in Colorado got hit in late spring, and it sure made for
some nice conditions to end the season. It was nice to be
logging turns at A-Basin in late June.

I hope the snow keeps coming your way.

Now it is after the USA Labor day holiday, it is time to
think about skiing up north. Loveland ski area is about 6 to 8
weeks from opening. In about 3 weeks they will begin
snowmaking.

Unlike last year (when Loveland & A-Basin closed way too
early), I am not quite the basket case I was. I am
very much looking foreward to first turns for the 03/04
season, but I can still wait.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber

Old September 4th 03, 05:55 PM
Sam Seiber

ant wrote:
well they don't keep the lifts running very long here! our season is
short and very marginal, so people tend to ski by the calender. so
they flock for the August peak time and then drop off in september,
even if that's when the snow is tending to fall. It's a real shame.
Often the lifts close with a lot more snow on teh ground than for most
of the season, but they close due to lack of interest...and money.

I guess the same thing could be said about Colorado at the end
of the last season. Plenty of snow at the end of April. But
I guess due to lack of interest, the ski areas close anyway.
Sadly, you were here in Colorado during a real crap snow
year. At least we have A-Basin, and they go until there
isn't much of anything left to work with.

Sam "About 7 weeks to skiing at Loveland" Seiber

Old September 6th 03, 04:10 PM
ant

Had a great day yesterday at thredbo. It hasn't snowed since the weekend but
it was still top to bottom, on packed dry icing sugar. A friend gets regular
private lessons so I came along too, for a 3-hour. It was an excellent
tune-up and a rare opportunity to see a real master in action. I have some
new muscles hurting today! More snow is due, so much for spring. Not yet!

After experiencing a poor season in Colorado, I'm more appreciative of any
snow really. Not always thinking "this is OK but it'd be better somewhere
else". Anywhere can have thin snow, and ice. You grab the good stuff
wherever and whenever you can, and make the most of it!

ant