Instructors: Keep it simple please

Old October 16th 04, 01:47 PM
uglymoney

Default Instructors: Keep it simple please

First of all, let me be clear. I am a very good skier. I could be
better. I know this. But I am damned good on a set of alpine boards,
better than most intructors could ever dream of being. I get very
frustrated reading the extraordinary long winded posts about teaching
on this board. I do not participate because I do not want to be a
teacher, but I am interested in occasionally receiving some advice
that could make me a better skier.

My belief is that any advice that I get must be simple, and direct.
To the point. For instance this advice helped me once while I was
hammering some extraordinarily steep terrain littered with rocks and
cliffs....

"Drive your tips into the snow while in the midst of your (psuedo jump
turn) for more control."

That was it. The advice came on the first day out after a long off
season from an instructor who was teaching somebody with much more
money than myself. He offered me the advice for nothing more than the
price of a hello. It helped me to regain my mountain skills sooner
and I was grateful.

I doubt that instructor watched me ski for more than a couple turns,
or analyzed my skiing, or did anything involving much thought. His
advice was thoughtless, but valuable in that it saved me at least part
of a days skiing or so in order to catch up on my normally very good
technique.

Keep it simple grasshopper. Please.

Okay, I am begging. Keep it simple. For the love of god! Watch your
words.

nate
Old October 16th 04, 04:21 PM
uglymoney

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:07:34 -0600, Bob Lee wrote:

uglymoney wrote:

Okay, I am begging. Keep it simple. For the love of god! Watch your
words.

What, it isn't fun to read those? Suck it up and stop snivelling -
skiing's hard, it's hard work, it's a lot of hard work.

If you ever want to own extension, you're going to have to move past
this baby-minded attitude that it's simple and learn the eight (or
nine?) things that you're going to have to keep in your mind constantly
to negotiate the fabulously useful beginner berm.

Now drop and give me twenty, bonehead. Then take some laps until you're
ready to be quiet and listen.

Bob

Yes captain Lee!

For my first online lesson I offer the fifty I was going to spend on
beer this month. I best start memorizing the nine steps to turning
and stop with the stubborness...

Twenty burpees. I scream mother****er at the top of each bounce.

nate