Scotland Wide Season Pass 03/04

Old July 25th 03, 05:36 PM
Mike T

Default Scotland Wide Season Pass 03/04

3) you'd feel forced to head north every day there was a sniff of snow and
totally trash yer board on rocks and heather (and fecking mud) - evens.

Hell, I do that at the beginning of every season (here in the NW USA)
anyway! I learned years ago just how valuable a dedicated rock board
really is. That, and I bought a ptex gun...

Mike T

Old July 25th 03, 06:15 PM
Drug Buddy

Mike T wrote:
3) you'd feel forced to head north every day there was a sniff of
snow and totally trash yer board on rocks and heather (and fecking
mud) - evens.

Hell, I do that at the beginning of every season (here in the NW USA)
anyway! I learned years ago just how valuable a dedicated rock board
really is. That, and I bought a ptex gun...

Mike T

Cheers Mike, but your season start = our full season....
wtf is a ptex gun? I've been dripping and scraping for years!
OK, so what's your bet on a Scottish season - 1, 2 or 3?

DB

Old July 25th 03, 07:14 PM
Drug Buddy

Mike T wrote:
Cheers Mike, but your season start = our full season....
wtf is a ptex gun? I've been dripping and scraping for years!
OK, so what's your bet on a Scottish season - 1, 2 or 3?

Oh, having never been to Scotland (London is geographically the
closest I've ever been) I can't give you a call on that...

A ptex gun is an extruder gun... it doesn't heat the ptex up as much
as the drip method, which in my experience makes for a longer lasting
bond. It's much, mush faster to use on large gouges, and by setting
the temp at it's minimum setting I've been able to repair core shots
without scalding the underside of the core... which I've never been
successful at using the drip method. A ptex gun cost US $120 or
more, so it's not worth it for most. I've never even used it on any
of my "good" boards, but I seem to user it about every other day out
on my rock board.

I've also found that base damage is partially a function of rider
weight - my wife goes out in the same crap I do, but she never dings
her board up the way I do... then again I weigh 70 pounds more than
she does.

Mike T

Think I'll stick with drip and scrape (unless I go for a season pass!) but
cheers anyway. But let's get this Scottish snow sweep going here - what's
your guess - 1, 2 or 3? I'm thinking if everyone karma's into option 1,
we'll actually get some snow this winter........make your choice.

DB

Old July 25th 03, 07:46 PM
Mike T

your guess - 1, 2 or 3? I'm thinking if everyone karma's into option 1,
we'll actually get some snow this winter........make your choice.

You've definitely got my hopes for Option 1!

Old July 28th 03, 09:22 AM
Barney

"Mike T" wrote in message
your guess - 1, 2 or 3? I'm thinking if everyone karma's into option 1,
we'll actually get some snow this winter........make your choice.

You've definitely got my hopes for Option 1!

Well, aye, I'm hoping for Option 1 (including another freak October dump
like we had last year - that was some of the best snow I've ever seen in
Scotland, and it was daylight on the drive up, rather than the usual pitch
darkness!)

But let's face it. The snow here is, well, keich. If we're lucky, we get
four or five good weekends a season. Last winter I think I only made it up
once, and even then, the snow was patchy. (As I recall, the season before
was pretty good, though).

£400 just seems a bit pricey for that. And to be honest, I'd much rather pay
less for an East-coast-only ticket cos I only ever really ride on the East
coast.

Maybe if I wasn't working full-time, I'd consider the season pass, but the
snow's just not consistent enough to justify it, I reckon.

Aah, Monday Morning cynicism....

Old July 28th 03, 08:25 PM
Mike Watson

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:04:19 +0100, "Drug Buddy"
wrote:

1) you'd get a great deal and use it like mad if the snow comes (and
stays) - 100,000 to 1;
2) you'd get ****ed off and get about 5 days out of it - 5 to 1;
3) you'd feel forced to head north every day there was a sniff of snow and
totally trash yer board on rocks and heather (and fecking mud) - evens.

4) It snows all winter and you wipe out and end up in hostpital for
the duration on day one - 50,000 to 1.
Old August 1st 03, 11:24 AM
Barney

"Scott" wrote in message

Drug Buddy wrote:
snip

I think a quid on option 1 is worth a wager. Anyone have any 2nd sight
premonitions about a season that's 5 months off?

Aye...£400...hmmmm Book sleasyjet in Aug/Sept for a Dec/Jan flight to
GVA, hitch or mooch a lift to Cham and stay in the hostel...feck it
mate...with the money left over we could make a week of it and see some
real snow and terrain ?!?!

Love this place, but can't bring myself to ride here...just remember
how bad it was when I was wee and learning to ski (cue meldrodramatic
screeches of horror at repressed memories re-surfacing)

When the snow's good and the weather's right, it can be amazing here. I've
had some great powder in glorious sunshine at Glen Shee, and some wonderful
riding at Cairn Gorm, with great views across Strath Spey. It's just that
those days are few and far between...

Old August 6th 03, 09:23 AM
Barney

"Scott" wrote in message

Scotty - you gotta kick yourself out of this, scotch boarding can be

very
many fun. Hey, I play golf in the rain, mountain bike in the rain and

mud,
why not board in the same ****e. I'm taking Mike T's lead and using my

old
Clash for rock (heather) boarding @ Coe this season - whatever the
conditions!

Aye ah ken ! Might get an old stick for this season then...

You just cannae beat a Saturday up in snow-heaven, and still makin it home
for a few pints.

OK, when there's 100 mile an hour winds, and you're stuck on a broken poma
tow, it's no fun, but when conditions are good, there's nothing better than
being a two-hour drive from some great runs.

"A man walks into a cake shop and says 'Is that a macaroon or a meringue?'
The assistant replies 'No, you're right. It's a macaroon.'"

:-)

Old August 6th 03, 10:55 AM
Keith

OK, when there's 100 mile an hour winds, and you're stuck on a broken poma
tow, it's no fun, but when conditions are good, there's nothing better

than
being a two-hour drive from some great runs.

Apart from being a 60 second walk from the bottom lift at Les Arcs, of
course. That's a *bit* better.

sigh

Keith

Old August 6th 03, 11:04 AM
Barney

"Keith" wrote in message
OK, when there's 100 mile an hour winds, and you're stuck on a broken

poma
tow, it's no fun, but when conditions are good, there's nothing better

than
being a two-hour drive from some great runs.

Apart from being a 60 second walk from the bottom lift at Les Arcs, of
course. That's a *bit* better.

OK, that's mibbe a wee bit better. But only a wee bit...

I guess I was meaning "given that we live in Scotland, there's nothing
better..."