Camelback for padding?

Old March 22nd 04, 06:16 PM
David

Default Camelback for padding?

I'm pretty new to boarding. Last weekend I slammed my upper back into the
ground hard enough to see stars. Didn't hit my head. Got a mild headache.
Since it went away I assummed I didn't get a concussion, but came too close.

I'm sure I could learn to fall better, or less or whatever. The way I was
told to fall in my board class might have helped, if I'd had the time/reflexes/skill
to react properly. Obviously I didn't. Anyway, it seems like a Camelback might
help when I fall like that.

What do you think?

Old March 22nd 04, 07:46 PM
Han Solo (D)

"David" wrote:

Anyway,
it seems like a Camelback might help when I fall like that.

What do you think?

Might do it, but better check out professional back protectors (Dainese or
R.E.D).
And for sure a helmet is not worse, too, although you didn't fall on your
head THIS time.

Han Solo
Old March 22nd 04, 08:36 PM
David

"Han Solo (D)" wrote in message .8...
Might do it, but better check out professional back protectors (Dainese or
R.E.D).

Thanks. Didn't even know about them. I'd seen shorts with tailbone protectors,
chest armor, etc., but not back protection.

And for sure a helmet is not worse, too, although you didn't fall on your
head THIS time.

Planning on getting a helmet, for head & additional sun protection

Old March 22nd 04, 08:47 PM
Han Solo (D)

"David" wrote:

Thanks. Didn't even know about them. I'd seen shorts with tailbone
protectors, chest armor, etc., but not back protection.

Check out
http://www.burton.com/red/gear/armor...ccessories.asp

I got the longshot, which is made out of soft material with no plastic. You
forget that you wear it while riding.
Have it since almost 3 years now and I am really satisfied with it.

Han Solo
Old March 22nd 04, 10:43 PM
AsaaraAgain

Anyway, it seems like a Camelback might
help when I fall like that.

What do you think?

I'd be worried about popping the Camelbak and leaking whatever you were
drinking all over the place, but if you do tend to fall on your back a lot, try
and drink something that won't stain or be sticky, like water or that flavored
fitness water, rather than regular Gatorade or something, until you know it'll
hold up.

If you have no need for hydration while riding, then I agree with the others
that said buy a Longshot or something similar.

Old March 23rd 04, 12:42 AM
Jason Watkins

I wear a little burton backpack to have water, snacks, tools, radios,
the girlfriend's hat she decided she didn't want to wear, etc... I've
found it to really help absorb those backwards slams. It's no
substitute for real protection, but I'm glad it's there when I fall.

PS: helmet good... took me most of a season to realize that, but now I
won't ride without it.
Old March 23rd 04, 04:27 AM
AsaaraAgain

PS: helmet good... took me most of a season to realize that, but now I
won't ride without it.

I got myself a RED helmet back when I was skiing a few years ago, not so much
because I fell a lot, but because my ski buddy at the time had a bad habit of
whizzing by me out of control, close enough to knock me with a pole a couple
times, and I was convinced he was going to run me down sooner or later. He's
since got shorter shaped skis, but I haven't seen him on them so I don't know
if he's more in control now, but I still ride with the helmet even when I'm on
my own.
Old March 23rd 04, 08:58 AM
David Brown :o\)

Yes they do, I've fallen pretty hard on mine a couple of times and it
certainly spreads the load. No chance of bursting one as they will
supposedly take a lorry driving over them and even if it did burst, better
that than your back.

--
David )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old March 23rd 04, 10:03 AM
Barney

"David Brown )" wrote in message
Yes they do, I've fallen pretty hard on mine a couple of times and it
certainly spreads the load. No chance of bursting one as they will
supposedly take a lorry driving over them and even if it did burst, better
that than your back.

I bought a Platypus with a zip-loc at the top, and I wasn't at all sure that
the zip-loc would stay shut, but after a couple of decent slams, I was hurt
but the Platypus was still sealed. The zip-loc makes it much easier to fill
and empty.