Racing and Performace skis off track

Old February 24th 05, 08:46 PM

Default Racing and Performace skis off track

I've been using racing and combi skis to ski the fields and snowmobile
trails in our upstate New York area. They work great. Faster and just
as stable as touring skis even in untracked snow. They even do well in
deeper fresh snow. We're not close to any XC ski resorts or such.
I was told that touring skis were the only way to go for untracked or
ungroomed trails. I've found it to be untrue. I no longer bother with
touring skis.
Has anyone else had a similar experience with performance skis?

Old February 24th 05, 10:14 PM
Camilo

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been using racing and combi skis to ski the fields and snowmobile
trails in our upstate New York area. They work great. Faster and just
as stable as touring skis even in untracked snow. They even do well in
deeper fresh snow. We're not close to any XC ski resorts or such.
I was told that touring skis were the only way to go for untracked or
ungroomed trails. I've found it to be untrue. I no longer bother with
touring skis.
Has anyone else had a similar experience with performance skis?

Yes I use my "racing" skis for touring all the time, although I think a
slightly wider ski is better, and one that can get a better edge and have a
little more under the foot control is easier to ski on on rough and
uncertain downhills. But I think a good skier can do fine with skinny skis.

Old February 25th 05, 12:50 AM
eraas eraas is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Has anyone else had a similar experience with performance skis?
One thing I used to love was skiing in the spring on the frozen crust we'd get in the Gatineaus after some freeze/thaw cycles when there was heavy snow coverage. You could go anywhere (off trail) on a performance skate ski - it was very fast with good control and you could ski over and around all the undulations in the terrain (I'm talking about granular crust - not icy crust which is pretty hard to control on). Great fun! Sometimes we'd get a few inches of snow over the crust and you could ski pretty nicely through this as well. Mount Royal Park in Montreal would get good weather for this as well.

Now I live in Boston and sometimes after a good snow I pack down a short skate loop in a city park in our neighborhood. It's surprising how well you can churn around in moderately deep snow (before the trail is packed down) not fast but it still works! Kind of pathetic after the Gat's though
Old February 25th 05, 10:34 PM
Steve

Another upstate New Yorker here. I got a pair of Exium Skates this
season, and find that the wide, groomed snowmobile trails are ideal
terrain for them. It makes me want a pair of skinny striding skis.

Old February 27th 05, 08:01 PM
woodnlegs

Upstate, that's north of Watertown, right?
I have used racing skis for many backpacking trips. I've done the
Northville Placid trail on them and I've twice climbed Mt. Marcy (do
it!). You need to work harder on getting the wax right to use the
narrower skis, but when you are doing lot's of sidestepping and herring
boning to climb, the lighter ski is an advantage. I did snap one of my
wooden Jarvinen racing skis while crossing a stream/gully. I let too
much weight load the ski and snapped it like a twig. Luckily I was on
my way out and only had to limp along for about two miles.