Roof Rack or Cargo box?

Old August 23rd 04, 02:53 PM
Marty

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Rich Heimlich wrote:
may buy the box, sit it up there, drive a mile or two with it, see how
it goes

One final note: be careful about driving into your garage (presuming of
course that you have a garage) - numerous people of destroyed their ski
box, car rack and sometimes car roof, and their garage door - all
because of a tiny misunderstanding about clearances...

Before I put the box on, the garage door opener is taken out of the vehicle
and placed in the house.
--
Marty

Old August 23rd 04, 08:42 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:33:09 -0400, Rich Heimlich
wrote:

Here in South Jersey I have to clean off my car maybe 5 times a year.
I'll take that over losing all the space in the garage for 365 days.

Here in Utah, I probably get a phenomenal powder day 5 times a year.
I'll take being first on the lift (because I wasn't wasting time
cleaning snow off of my car) and a warm place to change the engine oil
on a cold day over a few extra square feet of storage space any day of
the week.

Hmmm... weird. I don't have a garage and I don't have to clear off my car to
go skiing. Even in the biggest dumps.

-klaus

Old August 23rd 04, 09:39 PM
AstroPax

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:42:02 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

Hmmm... weird. I don't have a garage and I don't have to clear off my car to
go skiing. Even in the biggest dumps.

Wow, Klaus, you're definitely in the minority then.

Because it seems to me as if every tele skier in Utah drives up LCC to
the Alta Ski Area parking lot, and skis at Alta on big dump days.

As a matter of fact, come to think of it, most of them drive up and
park somewhere in the vicinity of the town of Alta *everyday*...even
on non-dump days.

I don't know exactly how many of those tele skiers have usable
garages, but knowing tele skiers, their garages are probably
completely full of garbage and junk...like old leather moldy boots
'n stuff.

-Astro

---
AstroPax Photography
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astropax/index.htm
---

Old August 23rd 04, 10:11 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:

Wow, Klaus, you're definitely in the minority then.

Yes. More snow if you're in the minority.

Because it seems to me as if every tele skier in Utah drives up LCC to
the Alta Ski Area parking lot, and skis at Alta on big dump days.

Yup. I've been saying this for years. Which is exactly why I don't. I
hate crowds. I prefer fresh snow over tracked out. shrug

As a matter of fact, come to think of it, most of them drive up and
park somewhere in the vicinity of the town of Alta *everyday*...even
on non-dump days.

There's just no accounting for some people's taste. I usually notice
McDonalds has pretty full parking lots, too.

I don't know exactly how many of those tele skiers have usable
garages, but knowing tele skiers, their garages are probably
completely full of garbage and junk...like old leather moldy boots
'n stuff.

Yup... leather boots. Some people just can't stand to admit when ****
goes bad and continue to claim it's the best when there's far better
things. Kinda like those Alta boys.

-klaus

Old August 24th 04, 12:35 AM
Mary Malmros

Rich Heimlich wrote:

may buy the box, sit it up there, drive a mile or two with it, see how
it goes

One final note: be careful about driving into your garage (presuming of
course that you have a garage) - numerous people of destroyed their ski
box, car rack and sometimes car roof, and their garage door - all
because of a tiny misunderstanding about clearances...

Before I put the box on, the garage door opener is taken out of the vehicle
and placed in the house.

My brother's solution: he has a big picture of a bicycle taped over the
garage door opener. He has to look at it, and the picture of the bike
reminds him NOT to drive in the garage if the bike is on top.

Old August 24th 04, 01:31 AM
AstroPax

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:11:06 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

Yup... leather boots. Some people just can't stand to admit when ****
goes bad and continue to claim it's the best when there's far better
things. Kinda like those Alta boys.

Sure, I know exactly what you mean about **** going bad...kinda like
the over-development of BCC, more specifically, Silver Fork.

Funny thing though, notwithstanding the drought factor and the over
abundance of backcountry skiers hogging a bunch of the town parking,
it seems like Alta Ski Area is getting better and better every
year...fewer skiers, better lifts.

-Astro

---

Old August 24th 04, 02:28 AM
klaus

wrote:

Yup... leather boots. Some people just can't stand to admit when ****
goes bad and continue to claim it's the best when there's far better
things. Kinda like those Alta boys.

Sure, I know exactly what you mean about **** going bad...kinda like
the over-development of BCC, more specifically, Silver Fork.

Silver Fork over-developed? Compared to Alta/Snowbird? Shirley.. you
jest. How many beds does Alta/Snowbird have? Silver fork has about
8. I'll bet the Cliff alone has a thousand. Can't see the forest for
the concrete?

Funny thing though, notwithstanding the drought factor and the over
abundance of backcountry skiers hogging a bunch of the town parking,
it seems like Alta Ski Area is getting better and better every
year...fewer skiers, better lifts.

Lifts? Hmmmm... I'll consider that.

Still I wonder why 90% of the pictures in the magazines of the
Cottonwoods are in BCC.

-klaus

Old August 24th 04, 03:14 AM
AstroPax

wrote:

Yup... leather boots. Some people just can't stand to admit when ****
goes bad and continue to claim it's the best when there's far better
things. Kinda like those Alta boys.

Sure, I know exactly what you mean about **** going bad...kinda like
the over-development of BCC, more specifically, Silver Fork.

Silver Fork over-developed? Compared to Alta/Snowbird? Shirley.. you
jest. How many beds does Alta/Snowbird have? Silver fork has about
8. I'll bet the Cliff alone has a thousand. Can't see the forest for
the concrete?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that there are a bunch of new houses up
in BCC, at Silver Fork? All spread out, all over the place.

I'll be skiing Solitude a little more this year, and doing some
photography there. Guess I'll have to take a closer look at the
development, but it sure seems to me that there are a bunch of houses
up in BCC.

Funny thing though, notwithstanding the drought factor and the over
abundance of backcountry skiers hogging a bunch of the town parking,
it seems like Alta Ski Area is getting better and better every
year...fewer skiers, better lifts.

Lifts? Hmmmm... I'll consider that.

Still I wonder why 90% of the pictures in the magazines of the
Cottonwoods are in BCC.

Maybe you should read something other than "Modern Architecture" &
"Alpine Home Designs".

Looking through Powder, etc., I tend to see many more pics of Alta and
LCC than of anything in BCC.

-Astro

Old August 24th 04, 04:18 AM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
Silver Fork over-developed? Compared to Alta/Snowbird? Shirley.. you
jest. How many beds does Alta/Snowbird have? Silver fork has about
8. I'll bet the Cliff alone has a thousand. Can't see the forest for
the concrete?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that there are a bunch of new houses up
in BCC, at Silver Fork? All spread out, all over the place.

New houses.. Yah.. tons.. One this year.

I'll be skiing Solitude a little more this year, and doing some
photography there. Guess I'll have to take a closer look at the
development, but it sure seems to me that there are a bunch of houses
up in BCC.

About 200 residents. Better than Sandy or Alta. And no huge concrete
monoliths. Or 50,000 sq foot ridgetop "patrol shacks". Just compare
how much heavy equipment is at AltaSnowbird right now and how much is
in BCC. I really think you are mistaken about which is more
developed. But you already knew that. It's like saying Heber is a
bigger tourist town than Park City. Sorry dood. No way. No effin
way. Jeezus.. have you looked at Snowbird? That point is downright
laughable. You can do better than that. I mean bring up tobacco road
issues or something where you at least have half a leg to stand on.

Looking through Powder, etc., I tend to see many more pics of Alta and
LCC than of anything in BCC.

Because they claim Wolverine is in LCC. Where do they take pictures of
LCC? And as you say, looking at Powder, the newest issue.. how many
LCC, how many BCC?? I see page 28. BCC. No LCC. Last year, final
issue, one of "Solitude Backcountry", none LCC. Pretty common. I loved
that shot last year in I think Powder where they captioned a picture
as being Alta. It was clearly Wolverine. Which actually is a Good
Thing(tm). Keep 'em over there. So which issues are you talking about
and where were the shots taken?

But really, whatever. I'm really glad people like Alta. *Really*
glad. I hope they put in that new road in LCC, and bigger parking
lots, and faster lifts. People love that ****. Just look at Park
City. But Park City can't compare to LCC. There, a 50,000 sq, foot
"patrol shack" would be against building regs. Pretty bad when LCC is
more open to ridgetop development than Park City. Pretty bad.

-klaus

Old August 24th 04, 01:00 PM
AstroPax

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:18:38 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

I really think you are mistaken about which is more
developed.

I'm not mistaken because I never made such a stupid assertion in the
first place. I never stated or implied that BCC is more developed
than LCC, which of course, it certainly is not.

I simply stated that BCC is "over-developed", period. At which time
you started comparing the development of the two canyons (and ragging
on LCC), as you always seem to do.

More magazine pics of BCC than LCC? Bwaaahaahaa!!! I'm willing to
bet that if you went back ten years through all the past issues of
Powder Mag, and counted all of the pics taken in both LCC and BCC, the
number of pics that state "Alta Utah" in the credit would out-number
all of the other LCC and BCC pics combined.

Sure, I might be wrong about that, but I don't think so!

-Astro

Ski/Board rack Ace Snowboarding 2 March 5th 04 11:11 PM
keeping skis in roof box for a couple of weeks DZN Alpine Skiing 4 February 27th 04 02:24 PM
Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack??? John Davison Snowboarding 9 January 14th 04 06:20 PM
Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack??? John Davison Alpine Skiing 9 January 14th 04 06:20 PM
FA YAKIMA BUTTONDOWN 6 Ski Rack ends Nov 25 Jimpy Marketplace 0 November 21st 03 11:28 PM