Seven Springs comes through/New gear!

Old January 23rd 04, 07:47 AM
Switters

Default Seven Springs comes through/New gear!

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 04:28:27 GMT, "Joe Ramirez"
allegedly wrote:

If I had an hour of snowboarding experience for every message I've
posted to this group, I would be -- to use the vernacular quoted
verbatim from the February issue of Transworld Snowboarding -- "the
ill ****."

I wouldn't quote them too much, I'm sure they make stuff up just to sound
different. The editor probably sits there thinking, what phrase can we
pass onto the public this month, let's see how widespread this becomes.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old January 23rd 04, 08:07 AM
Spiff

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:06:24 -0500, "Joe Ramirez"
wrote:

Far from it ... the ski shop appears to be getting an excellent group rate
for the package, and as you say, these places are cheaper in the winter. In
fact, the region is being promoted as a budget travel destination. See
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3752015/
That's one of the reasons this trip is so attractive. We've talked about
returning to Banff since we were there in the summer of 1993, but I think
we've always assumed that if we did go back, it would be summer again, when
the majestic resort hotels are priced sky-high and we'd probably avoid them
again.

Joe Ramirez

Im assuming you are American....With the dollar being what it has been
for almost 20yrs, Im suprised more of " y'all " dont hit the
slopes up here....Lake Louise is absolutely awesome........Fernie is
great too...

Spiff

Old January 23rd 04, 10:44 AM
Barney

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message

How do you do toeside falling leaf? Do you stand backward on the slope,
i.e., facing uphill? Or do you just lean over more while facing downhill?

No, you do it facing up hill. Practice the falling leaf on toeside (facing
up hill) and heel side (facing downhill) first. Then you can start to do
garlands on both edges.

If you lean forward whilst facing downhill, you'll dig your toeside edge
into the snow, then fall over. That's called "catching an edge".

Old January 23rd 04, 03:51 PM
Beloved Leader

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message ...

Actually, one part of Seven Springs' offer that I did not accept was the
free rental equipment. Yesterday we bought our own.

I've been reading all the messages, in this and your other threads.
Too many to respond to. Sorry you had a bad experience at Seven
Springs, and I hope the next visit turns out better.

Binding angles can be a source of endless entertainment. I'm always
tweaking mine. You may enjoy this discussion of binding angles at DC
Ski.

http://www.dcski.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000054.html

Is there a Pittsburgh-area discussion board for skiing and boarding? I
wouldn't be surprised to hear that there was.

Best wishes.
Old January 26th 04, 05:25 PM
Daniel Paik

In article ,
Joe Ramirez wrote:
How do you do toeside falling leaf? Do you stand backward on the slope,
i.e., facing uphill? Or do you just lean over more while facing downhill?

yup...just look uphill. be sure to bend your knees, not your waist although at first
when you're first starting, your natural inclination will be to bend your waist to get
close to the ground so that your falls won't hurt as much.

practice on the bunny slopes so that when you catch an edge, you won't fall too bad.
some of my friends insist that first timers should go to the steep runs (blues) to
practice their falling leaf because there isn't enough of an incline to do falling leaf
on the bunny slopes. ignore those people b/c you will get hurt catching an edge on the
steep runs when you lose control. practice on the bunny slopes and when you're going
down the runs all the way without falling or catching an edge, then go ahead and
practice falling leaf if you want to on the steeper runs.

when you finally get to garlands and linked turns, be sure to relax, look at the
direction you want to go, point both of your arms where you want to go, and put your
weight on your front leg.

i see too many beginners leaning way back on their back leg getting really nervous when
they don't turn so they end up going straight down the mountain. this is very
dangerous and they'll hurt themselves and whoever they crash into.

....always stay in control and relax...it's supposed to be fun.

Dan.
--
RVD...The Whole F'n Show
i was bored one day and ended up making http://www.hanguk.com/~danpaik