Ski boot sizes - new skier help!

Old January 14th 12, 07:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Lieutenant Scott

Default Ski boot sizes - new skier help!

Every ski chart I can find and ebay aswell all say that a size 10 UK or 11 US foot goes into a Mondopoint 29 (or 290). Yet I frequently see these sizes on the boots quoted as 355! Is there yet ANOTHER scale I don't know about?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash."
Old January 14th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Jan 14, 11:30*am, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
Every ski chart I can find and ebay aswell all say that a size 10 UK or 11 US foot goes into a Mondopoint 29 (or 290). *Yet I frequently see these sizes on the boots quoted as 355! *Is there yet ANOTHER scale I don't know about?

Yeah. 355 is a measurement of the length of the sole.
Old January 14th 12, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Every ski chart I can find and ebay aswell all say that a size 10 UK or
11 US foot goes into a Mondopoint 29 (or 290). Yet I frequently see
these sizes on the boots quoted as 355! Is there yet ANOTHER scale I
don't know about?

Boots need to be fitted at time of sale. Buying on the internet may not
give you the fit you need.

that number is possibly for the length in setting binding
Old January 14th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article op.v729sjf2ytk5n5@i7-940, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

Every ski chart I can find and ebay aswell all say that a size 10 UK or 11 US
foot goes into a Mondopoint 29 (or 290). Yet I frequently see these sizes on
the boots quoted as 355! Is there yet ANOTHER scale I don't know about?

The only reason I can possibly imagine that mattering is if you're
trying to buy boots without actually trying them on.

Don't do that.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 14th 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Lieutenant Scott

wrote:

Every ski chart I can find and ebay aswell all say that a size 10 UK or 11 US
foot goes into a Mondopoint 29 (or 290). Yet I frequently see these sizes on
the boots quoted as 355! Is there yet ANOTHER scale I don't know about?

The only reason I can possibly imagine that mattering is if you're
trying to buy boots without actually trying them on.

Don't do that.

:-)

I'm not that fussy. I take a size 10 anything.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Q: Why can't you have a circumcised Morris dancer?
A: Because you have to be a complete prick to be a Morris dancer.
Old January 14th 12, 07:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Lieutenant Scott

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:32:47 -0000, twobuddha wrote:

On Jan 14, 11:30 am, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
Every ski chart I can find and ebay aswell all say that a size 10 UK or 11 US foot goes into a Mondopoint 29 (or 290). Yet I frequently see these sizes on the boots quoted as 355! Is there yet ANOTHER scale I don't know about?

Yeah. 355 is a measurement of the length of the sole.

Well every scale I could find on the net said it was a length of the FOOT.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old January 14th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote:

Every ski chart I can find and ebay aswell all say that a size 10 UK or 11
US
foot goes into a Mondopoint 29 (or 290). Yet I frequently see these sizes
on
the boots quoted as 355! Is there yet ANOTHER scale I don't know about?

The only reason I can possibly imagine that mattering is if you're
trying to buy boots without actually trying them on.

Don't do that.

:-)

I'm not that fussy. I take a size 10 anything.

You're a new skier. I've been skiing my entire life (well, since I was 6
and I'm 50 now). I've been a racer, a ski patroller, and most recently
I've become an instructor. So trust me (and the other who will also
reply) on this.

There is nothing more important in skiing than having boots that fit
properly. Your boots are the connector between you and your skis. You're
trying to combine the need for your foot to be comfortable with the need
for the boot to have as close a fit to your foot and lower leg as
possible in order for you to have as much control over your skis as you
can.

When I buy boots, I go to a professional boot fitter and after I select
them, I have them further modified to fit my feet better. Racers do the
same but sacrifice comfort using extremely thin inner boots in order to
maximize control, but the only reasonable way for a recreational skier
to combine comfort and control is to try on a lot of boots until you
find ones that give you that off the shelf.

Unless you get insanely lucky, no boots that you buy without trying can
possibly work. They'll either be to sloppy, or they'll hurt enough that
skiing won't be much fun.

Old January 14th 12, 08:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Lieutenant Scott

wrote:

[...]

Sloppy fixed with more socks.

I do marathon running - aswell as fell running etc. And I've never bought special shoes, I just buy cheap trainers. They work fine!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Two men were talking.
"My son asked me what I did during the Sexual Revolution," said one.
"I told him I was captured early and spent the duration doing the dishes.
Old January 14th 12, 08:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote:

[...]

It's your funeral. If you want to believe you know better than someone
who's been skiing for more than 40 years...

Old January 14th 12, 08:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote:

[...]

If you are not going to listen to advice, why did you ask for it?