Swedish/English translation (Per Elofsson again)

Old October 20th 03, 03:45 PM
PF

Default Swedish/English translation (Per Elofsson again)

Can anyone help me in translating in English this swedish text. It comes
from www.skidsport.com
Many thanks in advance

Elofsson glatt överraskad!

Per Elofsson har nyligen kommit hem från höghöjdslägret i Schweiz och det
med ett bra besked!

Under skidforum, som hölls i Sollentuna i fredags, berättade Per Elofsson om
sina problem de senaste åren.
Enligt Per drabbades han av överträning redan innan OS i Salt Lake City och
trots att det blev ett VM- guld i Val Di Fiemme så har det varit en tung väg
tillbaka.
Nu kommer dock glädjande besked efter landslagets läger på höghöjd i Le
Diableretz.
Läs bara vad Per skriver på sin hemsida.
"Givetvis fanns det ett stort frågetecken om jag över huvud taget skulle
palla med att träna så tufft på höghöjd, men jag blev faktiskt glatt
överraskad, även om man fortfarande är en bit efter dom bästa i laget!"

Old October 20th 03, 07:48 PM
David Dermott

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, PF wrote:

Can anyone help me in translating in English this swedish text. It comes
from www.skidsport.com
Many thanks in advance

I no one else replies, here is my amateur translation:

Elofsson glatt överraskad!

Elofsson gladly surprised!

Per Elofsson har nyligen kommit hem från höghöjdslägret i Schweiz och det
med ett bra besked!

Per Elofsson has recently come home from high altitude camp in
Switzerland with good news!

Under skidforum, som hölls i Sollentuna i fredags, berättade Per Elofsson om
sina problem de senaste åren.

During the ski forum, which was held in Sollentuna on Friday, Per E told
about his problem last year.

Enligt Per drabbades han av överträning redan innan OS i Salt Lake City och
trots att det blev ett VM- guld i Val Di Fiemme så har det varit en tung väg
tillbaka.

According to Per, he was affected by overtraining already before the OG
in Salt Lake City and in spite of the World Champ gold in Val Di Fiemme it
has been a difficult way back.

Nu kommer dock glädjande besked efter landslagets läger på höghöjd i Le
Diableretz.

Now comes happy news after the national team's camp at high altitude
in Le Diableretz.

Read only what Per writes on his home page:

"Givetvis fanns det ett stort frågetecken om jag över huvud taget skulle
palla med att träna så tufft på höghöjd, men jag blev faktiskt glatt
överraskad, även om man fortfarande är en bit efter dom bästa i laget!"

Of course, there was a big question mark over my head if I could
manage to train so tough at altitude but I was in fact gladly
surprised, even if one is still a bit after the best on the team.

I had to cheat and look up a few words in dictionaries! :-(

New words for my vocabulary.
Drabba (vb) - to hit, strike, affect
Palla (vb) - to manage, cope with

ref: http://www-lexikon.nada.kth.se/skolverket/sve-eng.shtml
--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old October 21st 03, 08:58 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"David Dermott" skrev i melding
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, PF wrote:

Can anyone help me in translating in English this swedish text. It comes
from www.skidsport.com
Many thanks in advance

I no one else replies, here is my amateur translation:

Elofsson glatt överraskad!

Elofsson gladly surprised!

Per Elofsson har nyligen kommit hem från höghöjdslägret i Schweiz och

det
med ett bra besked!

Per Elofsson has recently come home from high altitude camp in
Switzerland with good news!

Under skidforum, som hölls i Sollentuna i fredags, berättade Per

Elofsson om
sina problem de senaste åren.

During the ski forum, which was held in Sollentuna on Friday, Per E told
about his problem last year.

"De senaste åren" = "the last years" (plural, not only singular, "last
year"), but the meaning is the same, so no problem.

[...]

A slight misunderstanding or misinterpretation here. The Swedish expression
"øver huvud taget" means something like "at all" in English, and has really
nothing to do with literally "over my head", even though it is very tempting
to think so ("huvud" = "head", but can also mean several other things in
other combinations, or different contexts, like "huvudstad" = "head city" =
"capital", like Washington DC and Stockholm). So, here goes:
"Of course, there was a big question mark if I at all would cope/manage
training on such high altitude, etc. etc."

In overall, it is a very decent and highly competent translation, an A,
especially since you are Canadian, and your name does not sound Swedish
"øver huvud taget", at all. The meaning of the text was very well preserved.
All in all, nice work!!
And BTW, I myself am Norwegian, and not Swedish "øver huvud taget" = at all,
but the two languages Swedish and Norwegian (and Danish, too, BTW, but with
a very different pronounciation, even though the words are more or less the
same) are very similar, so we have almost no problems in understanding each
other, both spoken and written.
"Øver huvud taget" (Swedish) = "i det hele tatt" (Norwegian) = "at all". In
Norwegian, "hoved" ("huvud") can also mean "main", like in "hovedsak" =
"main thing", or "hovedrett" = "main course" in a meal. I suppose that the
head ("huvud", "hoved", "hode") is the leader, the boss, the main or the
most important part of your body.
We do not have the words "drabba" or "palla" in Norwegian at all ("øver
huvud taget"), but I understand them both very well, since I live rather
close to the Swedish border. I therefore am quite frequently in Sweden to do
some serious shopping since many things are cheaper there than here, for
instance staple food like booze and cigarettes, and I have heard these
particular words often enough to get the drift.

Old October 21st 03, 05:37 PM
David Dermott

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Janne G wrote:
David, you always impress me with your knowledge in Scandinavian language,
do you talk it as good as you translate it also?

Unfortunately, no.
Of course, I get a lot more practice reading Norwegian and Swedish than
I do speaking or listening to the spoken language. I've only been to
Norden for relatively short visits, the last time was a 4 week bicycle
trip of Norway and Sweden in 2002 (it rained most of the time!!!).

One of the strangest (and most enjoyable) attempt at conversation was
with 2 "little old ladies" at a bakery at Evertsberg (this is the half-way
point of Vasaloppet). I think they were actually speaking a dialect called
"Dalska". They showed me how they made "tunnbröd" (lit. thin bread, like
pita or chapatti) and gave me a free sample.

I got started with books like "Norwegian in 3 Months" and "Teach Yourself
Swedish". There is a lot of Norwegian and Swedish reading material available
on WWW, ranging from classic Norwegian literature (for example Asbjörnsen
and Moe's Norwegian Fairy Tales) to the trip reports of Swedish
long-distance-skating groups (Långfärdsskridsko).

Here are some helpful language resources I've found:

"http://www.dokpro.uio.no/ordboksoek.html" Norwegian only dictionary,
in Bokmål and Nynorsk versions, gives derivation of words

"http://www-lexikon.nada.kth.se/skolverket/sve-eng.shtml"
Swedish-English dictionary, also gives Swedish synonyms

"http://www.nordskol.org/ordbog/forside.html" Dictionary explaining
differences between Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish words

"http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/folkeven/" The complete Fairy Tales
of Asbjörnsen and Moe - mid 1800's

Also, thanks to Inger Skramstad Jørstad for the correction to my
translation of "över huvud taget" == "at all" (rather than "over my head")

Old October 22nd 03, 03:38 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"David Dermott" skrev i melding
Also, thanks to Inger Skramstad Jørstad for the correction to my
translation of "över huvud taget" == "at all" (rather than "over my head")

You are most welcome! Your translation really impressed me, especially since
you are Canadian, and with no (apparent) (ethnic) Nordic background. Nice
work.

Old October 25th 03, 01:57 PM
Tomas Bystrom

Default OT: Swedish dialects

In article
, David
One of the strangest (and most enjoyable) attempt at conversation was
with 2 "little old ladies" at a bakery at Evertsberg (this is the half-way
point of Vasaloppet). I think they were actually speaking a dialect called
"Dalska".

Well, it is actually called "dalmål" as a collective term (after the
province "Dalarna"). In the areas around the Vasaloppet trail, excluding
the "cities" and larger villages, the dialects often are distinct and
may just be almost impossible to understand, even for me who grew up in
Dalarna (albeit in the southern outskirts of the province). The most
famous dialect (actually more or less a language) is spoken in Älvdalen.
It closely resembles some Celtic languages and does not resemble Swedish
at all.

/Tomas

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.