Snow in Colorado

Old September 22nd 04, 04:09 AM
TCS

Default Snow in Colorado

Good news. The first real winter storm of the season is upon us. Several
inches of snow at the Eisenhower Tunnel - which is essentially the Loveland
parking lot.

Loveland plans to start making snow this weekend. They only need about 10 days
of snowmaking to open one trail.

Wax em up!

Obhurricane: Can you believe that Ivan came back to attack Florida again - and
then went back into the Gulf? A persistent one, this.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 4 weeks.
Old September 22nd 04, 04:11 PM
Sam Seiber

TCS wrote:

Good news. The first real winter storm of the season is upon us. Several
inches of snow at the Eisenhower Tunnel - which is essentially the Loveland
parking lot.

Loveland plans to start making snow this weekend. They only need about 10 days
of snowmaking to open one trail.

Wax em up!

Obhurricane: Can you believe that Ivan came back to attack Florida again - and
then went back into the Gulf? A persistent one, this.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 4 weeks.

Last night during the Denver CH 9 news, they had a crawl (that text at
the bottom
of the screen) that was reporting A-Basin was going to start snow making
in 1 to 2 hours (about Midnite Denver time). The A-Basin website is now
bragging
it up. Where did you get the info on the Loveland snowmaking? I have
been
digging via news.google.com, and no love about any Loveland snowmaking.

I do know if A-Basin beats Loveland to opening day, I will have to sit
it out.
A-Basin is SUPER crowded until Key/Breck get open. That f****ng buddy
pass
gets all the Key/Breck/Vail/BC riders all piled up onto tiny A-Basin.
Last year the lift line was over an hour for something that would take
about
30 minutes to hike. I will take a pass on A-Basin until the bigs get
open.
Meanwhile, I am waiting for my beloved Loveland. With Lovelands web cam
I now have some nice pretty wallpaper on the work computer.

Sam "My Beloved Loveland looks so nice dressed in white" Seiber.
Old September 22nd 04, 06:09 PM
AstroPax

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:11:52 -0600, Sam Seiber
wrote:

Sam "My Beloved Loveland looks so nice dressed in white" Seiber.

I was flying over Colorado, yesterday, and everything was all WHITE!!!

Oh, wait, never mind....that was cloud tops.

Landing at SLC, I was looking forward to a southeast entry directly
over the Cottonwood Canyons, into an east-side downwind so that I
could get a close look at the small amount of fresh snow upon the
Wasatch...

http://www.alta.com/Images/Picoftheday/092004.jpg

....but I guess you can't fly that particular approach...yet.

-Astro

Old September 22nd 04, 10:35 PM
Sam Seiber

AstroPax wrote:
http://www.alta.com/Images/Picoftheday/092004.jpg

...but I guess you can't fly that particular approach...yet.

-Astro

Hmm, saw the picture. Looks like the chair on the left could
use a haul rope......and some chairs.

Sam "A-Basin or Loveland, who gets braggin' rights this year" Seiber
Old September 23rd 04, 01:00 AM
AstroPax

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:35:30 -0600, Sam Seiber
wrote:

Hmm, saw the picture. Looks like the chair on the left could
use a haul rope......and some chairs.

More precisely, HSQ chairs. But it won't be long.

-Astro

---
X Minus Two
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/04-05/index.htm
---

Old September 23rd 04, 02:46 AM
snoig

Make that the second real winter storm for Summit County. Breck got
more out of the last one a couple of weeks ago. Maybe 3 or 4 out of
this on which is melting pretty much as fast as it hits the ground
now. It was more rain down in town. The last one was at least six
inches and covered everything in town. this time, it's all wet so it
looks like it will melt by the weekend. But I've heard of some places
that have got up to about a foot and a half. That should stick around
till spring.

snoig

Old September 24th 04, 05:33 PM
Sam Seiber

TCS wrote:

For Sam, and others.

Tuesday night I was watching Channel 2 and they had Tamara Banks (unless I am
mixing two stories) up at the tunnel, and also interviewing some manager at
Loveland. The latter said that this storm would slow them down momentarily
(too wet - they want dry cold air) but they planned to start snowmaking by the
weekend.
TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 4 weeks.

I got an e-mail update dated yesterday (9/23) from Loveland. They say
that
snowmaking has begun! No word on opening day in the notice. But past
history says 3 to 4 weeks, probably closer to 3 weeks. They have a
snowmaking status page on their site.
http://www.skiloveland.com/snowmaking
But the bragging rights just don't get nutty enough. Here is a
paragraph
from their notice:

The World's Highest Web Cam - Coming Soon
The Ridge Cam, brought to you by Loveland Ski Area and
Pentax, is the highest web-cam in the world and is stationed at
the top of Chair 9 at 12,700 feet. Be sure to visit www.skiloveland.com
to check out stunning views from high atop The Continental Divide.

I dunno how often that cam will be socked in.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber
Old September 25th 04, 01:31 AM
TCS

From Sam:

But the bragging rights just don't get nutty enough. Here is a
paragraph
from their notice:

And here is what I read in a local paper:

"And once again Loveland and A-Basin are competing to see who is the first to
open."

"Once again"? Last year was the first time. Before that A-Basin didn't have
snowmaking. The competition has always been between Loveland and Keystone -
until Keystone opted out.

The same article indicated that these two open early because of their top
elevations of over 13,000 feet. I don't think so - their highest lifts:

Loveland - 12,700

A-Basin - 12,500

It's more due to their high Base elevations, which a

Loveland - 10,800

A-Basin - 10,800

These base elevations are about 1200 ft higer than any of the other major
Colorado snowmaking ski areas.

But, don't get me started on "Strange statistics".

Cheers, TCS

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 4 weeks.

Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 7 November 12th 03 02:59 PM
Snow in Colorado - A-Basin TCS Alpine Skiing 35 November 1st 03 12:16 AM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 1 October 17th 03 11:08 PM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 3 September 22nd 03 09:09 PM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 0 September 14th 03 08:35 PM