Jackson Hole Sucks

Old February 7th 04, 02:49 AM
Richard Henry

Default Jackson Hole Sucks

"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
.. .

On that accountability and responsibility note. Every American citizen
who died 11 September 2001 made decisions that lead to their death that
day. A lot of them decided to go to work that day, just like any other.
Some of them decided to fly United or American, for what ever reason.
Every casualty of that day decided when and where they would die.

What a stupid statement.

Old February 7th 04, 02:59 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
I still think it did add up. You're gonna have it in your mind that
a) in the trees
b) at mid elevations
there will be buried surface hoar, BEFORE you dig that pit on the ridge and you
DON'T see the surface hoar in your pit.

Scott Jones got a hard shear out of that layer on Mavrick's at 8500' a couple
of days ago. That's just south of 25 short where Rod Newcomb reported
possible remote triggering of slides on that same layer of buried surface
hoar. A few days and a mile south make a big difference in the Tetons, eh
Kurt? Jones just got back from Utah and was telling me about the rhime layer
at 30 cm where he was digging as well. He says our snow packs are similar
this year. Would you agree?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 7th 04, 03:28 AM
The Real Bev

Jeff Davis wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:
Then again, I used to feed him Acid in the '60's...

I missed the 60s. Raising tinies sure puts a crimp in free-spirithood.

I make decisions that move me toward the greatest area of freedom, generally,
given the option.

You and pigo have much in common.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 7th 04, 03:28 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
John Red-Horse wrote:
I am saying that the element of
analyzing how, phenomenologically, the buried surface hoar was created is
not important. The facts that (1) it is there, (2) it is likely to
remain there, and (3) it will be a weak layer are. This is still in
direct contradiction to what Kurt wrote, at least as I read it.

Yeah, its there. Can you ski over it? Of course, in many cases, it will
hold the weight of many skiers without failing. In some cases it will fail
with less than the weight of one skier. Is it bonding? Yes. In Jackson Hole
in some places its gaining strength as the days go on. I substantiate all
these statements with direct observation. Were you speaking hypothetically
or not?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 7th 04, 03:46 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
BobPeters wrote:
Wouldn't you say that the aspect of No Shadows is much more easterly
than northerly? I guess I think of the Powder-8 Shoulder, Central
Couloir, and the skier's-right line on Four Shadows as north-facing.

No. If you agree that the Powder 8 Shoulder and Central Coulior are
north facing, it follows that No Shadows is north facing. I would say
Four Shadows is predominately east facing, albeit the skiers right line
is ENE by compass bering. With No Shadows on the north aspect of Cody
Peak above the Four Shadows drop in, how could it be more easterly
that Four Shadows? Are you sure we're talking about the same natural
avalanche chute?

And No Shadows isn't really all that steep, is it? Like sub-40? We
usually think of it as the bail-out route if Four Shadows or Pucker
Face seem too dicey.

Since an inclinometer at the top reads 55 degrees for the first couple of
hundred feet of No Shadows, I'm wondering what slope you are refering to.
Metcalf dug out the Rendezvous quadrangle sheet and determined that Pucker
Face is an ESE face, after it was erroniously published in Powder Magazine
that it was a South Face. So you have a reference point. With Pucker Face
roughly perpendicular to No Shadows, that makes No Shadows much more northerly
than easterly, so I continue to wonder what you might be refering to as
No Shadows. Are you talking about that east facing wind filled cliff line
north of the gnarliest cliff lines on Pucker Face after you climb the ridge
above the Rock Springs drainage?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 7th 04, 03:51 AM
Jeff Davis

In article FfZUb.16525$fD.15707@fed1read02,
Richard Henry wrote:

What a stupid statement.

Fine dick, have fun. I'm not buying W's justification for invading a
soveriegn nation. I'm voting for the Democratic Candidate this fall.
Anybody but Bush. If you feel otherwise, that's your perogative. I
have to look at myself in the mirror, and refuse to let my country
become another imperialistic government oppressing less powerful nations
by force.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 7th 04, 04:12 AM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:

Jeff Davis wrote:

Then again, I used to feed him Acid in the '60's...

I didn't have the impression you were that old ...

I missed the 60s. Raising tinies sure puts a crimp in free-spirithood.

State of mind - do your "60s" now. (BTW, the pill became common about
65-66, so some of us figured out how to avoid cases of the tinies.
Missed the whole chemical age, did you?)

ObSki - 1966 - tore the toe of my powder blue wood skis right off.
Unfortunately I was on the top of the newly opened Alpine Meadows, and
had to walk all the way down. ****ed me off - I'd had those skis since
high school. Still have them as a matter of fact - screwed to the porch
wall about 20 feet from where I sit.

Someday ask me about the 60s party that left me heaving from the chair
lift at Dodge the next morning. Some unhappy people wanted to have words
with me, but I was going up; they couldn't climb very fast.

Old February 7th 04, 05:06 AM
Richard Henry

.. .
Richard Henry wrote:

What a stupid statement.

Fine dick, have fun. I'm not buying W's justification for invading a
soveriegn nation. I'm voting for the Democratic Candidate this fall.
Anybody but Bush. If you feel otherwise, that's your perogative. I
have to look at myself in the mirror, and refuse to let my country
become another imperialistic government oppressing less powerful nations
by force.

What does this have to do with your previous statement?

Old February 7th 04, 05:08 AM
The Real Bev

lal_truckee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Jeff Davis wrote:

Then again, I used to feed him Acid in the '60's...

I didn't have the impression you were that old ...

I missed the 60s. Raising tinies sure puts a crimp in free-spirithood.

State of mind - do your "60s" now. (BTW, the pill became common about
65-66, so some of us figured out how to avoid cases of the tinies.
Missed the whole chemical age, did you?)

Nope, but that came later. These were choices. Some of the best I've
ever made.

ObSki - 1966 - tore the toe of my powder blue wood skis right off.
Unfortunately I was on the top of the newly opened Alpine Meadows, and
had to walk all the way down. ****ed me off - I'd had those skis since
high school. Still have them as a matter of fact - screwed to the porch
wall about 20 feet from where I sit.

I've got some old (but not that old) skis, but I wouldn't have the heart
to hurt them. When did they make orange Hexcels? Some people should
not be allowed to keep old useless stuff for sentimental reasons. Once
you start, you can't stop.

Someday ask me about the 60s party that left me heaving from the chair
lift at Dodge the next morning. Some unhappy people wanted to have words
with me, but I was going up; they couldn't climb very fast.

Did you at least have the decency to ski down to The Spot and tidy it
up? I would think that one pile of puke would soon attract others...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 8th 04, 10:46 PM
BobPeters

(Jeff Davis) wrote in message ...

Since an inclinometer at the top reads 55 degrees for the first couple of
hundred feet of No Shadows, I'm wondering what slope you are refering to.
Metcalf dug out the Rendezvous quadrangle sheet and determined that Pucker
Face is an ESE face, after it was erroniously published in Powder Magazine
that it was a South Face. So you have a reference point. With Pucker Face
roughly perpendicular to No Shadows, that makes No Shadows much more northerly
than easterly, so I continue to wonder what you might be refering to as
No Shadows. Are you talking about that east facing wind filled cliff line
north of the gnarliest cliff lines on Pucker Face after you climb the ridge
above the Rock Springs drainage?

We apparently aren't talking about the same No Shadows. The chute
I've always heard referred to as No Shadows is the very pronounced
gully *between* Pucker Face and Four Shadows as you're hiking up the
ridge.

As you're hiking the ridgeline, you would be walking along Pucker
Face. After you pass the little notch that most people agree
delineates the south end of Pucker, the obvious, big, snow-filled
gully you skirt as you continue climbing toward Four Shadows *is* No
Shadows. It catches sun much longer in the day than Four Shadows
(which is part of why it's called "No Shadows"), and has a much less
steep entrance than Four Shadows. And, it faces much more easterly
than the skier's right line on Four Shadows.

So, are we in agreement on what is No Shadows?

It matters only because I'm trying to decide how accurate some of the
other stuff you've posted here might be.

Bob

BTW, Turiano's book agrees with me, if that helps at all.

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 05:11 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 19th 03 11:27 PM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider Alpine Skiing 0 November 17th 03 04:30 PM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM