Ski Helmet Use Isnt Reducing Brain Injuries

Old January 2nd 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Ski Helmet Use Isnt Reducing Brain Injuries

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.
Old January 2nd 14, 03:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.

Improper use and fitting. Vanity is often the issue. Last year at Hunter
observed helmets sitting on 3 or 4 inches of hair. I put my old marker
on and it was packed out. I am looking for an other helmet that will
take a Slalom guard.

Got a little freaked out last year at Hunter when standing on the lift
line. A guy next to me started rattling off the prices of my equipment.
Starting with that is a 500$ carbon fiber helmet he was in daily rentals.
Old January 2nd 14, 04:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 08:28:41 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.

And look like a wuss.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old January 2nd 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 11:46:59 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

lal_truckee wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.

Improper use and fitting. Vanity is often the issue. Last year at Hunter
observed helmets sitting on 3 or 4 inches of hair. I put my old marker
on and it was packed out. I am looking for an other helmet that will
take a Slalom guard.

Got a little freaked out last year at Hunter when standing on the lift
line. A guy next to me started rattling off the prices of my equipment.
Starting with that is a 500$ carbon fiber helmet he was in daily rentals.

$500 for a helmet is nuts. When I ride my Harley, I wear a
top-of-the-line full-face Bell helmet. Just like the kind NASCAR
drivers use. It doesn't cost half of that.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old January 2nd 14, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:28:41 AM UTC-6, lal_truckee wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.

I'm going to keep skiing in a cowboy hat.

Jim in Texas
Old January 2nd 14, 07:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:44:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 09:18:52 -0800 (PST), wrote

Do you also wear flannel shirts and jeans with chaps?

I'm from Texas, not from Stupidville.

Chaps are only useful when traveling through thick brush. In snow, the brush is all under the snow, or else the terrain is impassable on skis.

Flannel shirts don't function well for skiing because they don't breathe properly, regardless of fiber content.

Jeans are not recommended for skiing since cotton readily absorbs water (you know, that stuff that snow is made of) but unlike wool, dries from the outside IN, and hence readily conducts excessive heat while doing a very poor job of insulating, even if dry.

So the answer to all three is NO, although I never make disparaging remarks about skiiers who dress like they are from Cleveland or other failed rust-belt cities.

However, if you can share some pointers with us on how you cause your river to spontaneously catch fire, I think we'd all be interested to know.

Jim in Texas
Old January 2nd 14, 08:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

lal_truckee wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.

Helmets are designed to take the blow and crumple, to dampen and disapate
the impact. Their intention is not to prevent head injury but to lessen
it. I like this quote from the article.. They are far from being
panaceas to a serious problem.

"“There’s no 100 percent prevention of brain injury,” said Alan Weintraub,
the medical director of the brain injury program at Craig Hospital in
Englewood, Colo. “Because the more the head and brain are protected, the
more risks people take, the more velocities happen with those risks and the
more velocities are transmitted to the skull and brain.”

There is the same debate about bike helmets. i am all for helmets,
because anyway to lessen head impact the better. It also shows how fragile
and delicate the human brain and skull to any sort of traumatic injury.

What happened to Michael Schumacher, was that he hit three rocks in
succession, the first rock, probably destroy the integrity of his helmet
and the next two rocks did further damage. He has a very serious brain
injury, but it probably been worst without a helmet to take some of the
impact on the first rock he hit.
Old January 2nd 14, 08:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 14:56:20 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

wrote:
$500 for a helmet is nuts. When I ride my Harley, I wear a
top-of-the-line full-face Bell helmet. Just like the kind NASCAR
drivers use. It doesn't cost half of that.

Based on what you post here you do not need to protect much.

This is often what the are using

http://www.theracersstore.com/index....ducts_ id=117

The one I have is more like this.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bell-S...FYtQOgodvy0AFQ

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.