Hunter Mountain

Old December 15th 13, 07:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default Hunter Mountain

Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/141/3...r-this-season/
Old December 15th 13, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:34:03 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepgust-w

They probably won't allow banjo players either.

Old December 15th 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/15/13 12:34 PM, downhill wrote:
Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/141/3...r-this-season/

Seems a shame, since it's something many people like.
Old December 15th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
On 12/15/13 12:34 PM, downhill wrote:
Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/141/3...r-this-season/

Seems a shame, since it's something many people like.

There seems to be a drift away from NASTAR, not sure if it is NASTAR
related as in the cost or an insurance related cost. Or could it be that
fewer people are running it, as they have been cutting back the days it
runs.
Old December 15th 13, 09:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:13:58 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

On 12/15/13 12:34 PM, downhill wrote:
Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepetitionsite.cmountains-de

Seems a shame, since it's something many people like.

I agree. It might even hurt the bottom line. But people like us
banjo players better. You shouldn't try to kick us banjo players off
the mountain. When ya carry around a banjo ya git real respect.

Merry Christmas everyone. God bless us all.
God bless America.
Old December 15th 13, 11:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

lal_truckee wrote:
On 12/15/13 12:34 PM, downhill wrote:
Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/141/3...r-this-season/

Seems a shame, since it's something many people like.

Some people like it, and many hate having their favorite runs closed so a few
people can race. Where are the $?

Old December 16th 13, 12:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:35:33 PM UTC-6, downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

On 12/15/13 12:34 PM, downhill wrote:

Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/141/3...r-this-season/

Seems a shame, since it's something many people like.

There seems to be a drift away from NASTAR, not sure if it is NASTAR
related as in the cost or an insurance related cost. Or could it be that
fewer people are running it, as they have been cutting back the days it
runs.

Well, it costs the hill to have NASTAR staffed. But sometimes it's worth having a few loss-leaders going on. I don't do NASTAR very often, but whenever I roll over an age barrier, I'll throw down for a few runs to see what new bling I can get. As I get older, it gets easier, AND I have more spare change for NASTAR nowadays.

I cannot speak for Hunter as to whether their NASTAR operation was losing so much money that it was unsupportable. I'd have to think it was the case, based on this one person's report.

BUT -- with my fairly regular attendance at Taos, where Ernie Blake used to walk around with a ski cap that said "janitor" and Eurpean royalty women would wear $80,000 fill-length mink coat to sell hot dogs on the deck -- well, I saw that sometimes it's OK to lose a few bucks to keep some stuff out there.

I didn't understand it at first.

Maybe Hunter isn't understanding it yet.

Jim in Texas
Old December 16th 13, 02:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Bob F wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
On 12/15/13 12:34 PM, downhill wrote:
Hunter Mountain Gives up NASTAR

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/141/3...r-this-season/

Seems a shame, since it's something many people like.

Some people like it, and many hate having their favorite runs closed so a few
people can race. Where are the $?

Hunter has always used the same trail for racing was never really open
to public. When they rent out to masters or other ski racing group they
take over a trail, but often the one that is used for racing anyway.
Most of the nastar runs are on short out of the way trails or in areas
that mountains use for race programs.
Old December 16th 13, 03:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/15/13 4:40 PM, Bob F wrote:
Some people like it, and many hate having their favorite runs closed so a few
people can race. Where are the $?

By the nature of a pace-set course the NASCAR course would always be on
the same slope, thus no surprise. It would also not be too tough a slope
since all ages race it, and hence unlikely to be a potential "favorite
run" of any advanced and up free skier.

I surmise from your "favorite run" adjective you are actually concerned
about team, league, masters, USSA, FIS, what-have-you racing where a
hosting mountain blocks off a run to set a course. Since for higher
level racing considerable challenge is sought the mountain might close
an otherwise desirable slope.

I understand your concern and admit sometimes feeling irritated at a
closure; but often the closure leaves plenty of room to parallel the
course in he trees adjacent, making the slope more challenging while
often providing better snow.

I submit there's a lot of money in racing when properly promoted. It
also keeps advanced skiers interested on an otherwise unchallenging
hill, and keeps kids on the slopes.

All that aside, there's not much NASTAR out here, and while there is a
lot of USSA racing, but it's the steep and the deep that keep people skiing.