Staying in Salzburg and Skiing

Old September 12th 03, 05:11 PM
Ian Fletcher

Default Staying in Salzburg and Skiing

Hi everybody

I'm planning a trip away over new year with a group of skiers and
non-skiers. To keep everybody happy, I'd like to stay somewhere near
Salzburg, and commute to the slopes each day.

The Salzburg Sportwelt region has eight resorts nearby (Flachau, Wagrain,
St. Johann/Alpendorf, Radstadt, Altenmarkt/Zauchensee, Kleinarl, Eben,
Filzmoos) and Zell am See is pretty close.

Does anybody have any more details of this area - what's it like for
non-skiiers in the valleys, which are the good resorts and how long would it
take to get there? Any ideas on a good central town to find some
accomadation in? There are likely to be about 10 of us, so a couple of
appartments or big guest house is likely to be the sort of thing.

Cheers

Ian

Old September 18th 03, 02:44 PM
Enotrio Pallanzo

The Salzburg Sportwelt region has eight resorts nearby (Flachau, Wagrain,
St. Johann/Alpendorf, Radstadt, Altenmarkt/Zauchensee, Kleinarl, Eben,
Filzmoos) and Zell am See is pretty close.

Ian, Schladming is 20 kms far from Radstadt and Altenmarkt and is a
beautiful one.

In case of lack of snow you will have many choices, basically Dachstein
Tauern Gletscher (25 kms from Altenmarkt, but small and pretty) or the big
one: Kaprun, not far from Zell-am-See.

Zell-am-See would be more crowded and if you can, no doubt. Get to the
Planai and Hochwurzen slopes in Schladming, and taste a mouthful of the
wonderful Schladminger Bier.

More news later.

EP

Old September 30th 03, 09:53 PM
funkraum

"Ian Fletcher" wrote:

I'm planning a trip away over new year with a group of skiers and
non-skiers. To keep everybody happy, I'd like to stay somewhere near
Salzburg, and commute to the slopes each day.

The Salzburg Sportwelt region has eight resorts nearby (Flachau, Wagrain,
St. Johann/Alpendorf, Radstadt, Altenmarkt/Zauchensee, Kleinarl, Eben,
Filzmoos) and Zell am See is pretty close.

Does anybody have any more details of this area - what's it like for
non-skiiers in the valleys, which are the good resorts and how long would it
take to get there? Any ideas on a good central town to find some
accomadation in? There are likely to be about 10 of us, so a couple of
appartments or big guest house is likely to be the sort of thing.

For the non-skiers:

South of Salzburg at Werfen is Schloss Hohenwerfen which was used to
film "Where Eagles Dare" .

Salzburg itself.

Perhaps the Toplitzsee above Bad Aussee. A natural wonder.

Kehlsteinhaus at Berchtesgaden

For the skiers:

I think Zell is the biggest of these, or most likely to have snow. I
have skiied up at the Radstädter Hutte once during a heavy snowfall in
the fall, but I just happened to be there. Great views of the
Dachstein. To be honest, where you ski at this time will be determined
entirely by which resort has enough snow to ski on. None of them are
high. You may have to drive as far as the Zugspitze at Garmisch to
find skiable snow. Possibly St Moritz. Or you might be lucky.

Old October 1st 03, 10:01 AM
Ian Spare

On 30/09/2003 23:53, in article ,
"funkraum" wrote:

"Ian Fletcher" wrote:

[...]

have skiied up at the RadstĘdter Hutte once during a heavy snowfall in
the fall, but I just happened to be there. Great views of the
Dachstein. To be honest, where you ski at this time will be determined
entirely by which resort has enough snow to ski on. None of them are
high. You may have to drive as far as the Zugspitze at Garmisch to
find skiable snow. Possibly St Moritz. Or you might be lucky.

Surley the glacier at Kaprun is closest for reliable snow ?

Old October 3rd 03, 05:51 PM
funkraum

Ian Spare wrote:

[...]
Surley the glacier at Kaprun is closest for reliable snow ?

Yes - I had forgotten. I was thinking of cold places which might have
lying snow. And I've told you before stop calling me Surley.

Old October 12th 03, 08:08 PM
Deano

Ian Spare wrote in message
On 30/09/2003 23:53, in article

,
"funkraum" wrote:

"Ian Fletcher" wrote:

[...]

It depends on the ratio of skiers / non skier but if skiers were the
majority I would stay in St Johann / Alpendorf, it has good train links so
for the non skiers it is easy to get to Salzburg for day trips.
Be sure to checkout the opening times of attractions that are mainly summer
based, I know the ice caves are closed during winter, and I think the
Schloss Hohenwerfen is also closed during the winter.

If you stay in St Johann and ski from Alpendorf then I am sure you can ski
to Wagrain, a skibus service serves Alpendorf to St Johann, another resort
just up the valley from Alpendorf is Grossantal (think the spelling is
correct) and the runs there are more varied and offer more links,

There are some good resturants in the area I can recomend the Oberforstof
Alm in Alpendorf (but avoid Thursday if you want a quiet night)

The whole area is not served by many tour operators so it tends to have a
more relaxed atmosphere.

Deno

Old October 15th 03, 02:39 PM
Mark

Don't know if this helps, but Ryanair are now selling "free" flights
to Salzburg between 3 Nov and 31 Jan (exclding 18 Dec - 5 Jan). Taxes
and charges add up to approx Ł27 per return trip from Stansted.

Also doing Milan.
Old December 5th 03, 06:57 PM
funkraum

"Deano" wrote:
[...]
It depends on the ratio of skiers / non skier but if skiers were the
majority I would stay in St Johann / Alpendorf, it has good train links so
for the non skiers it is easy to get to Salzburg for day trips.
Be sure to checkout the opening times of attractions that are mainly summer
based, I know the ice caves are closed during winter, and I think the
Schloss Hohenwerfen is also closed during the winter.

- 'Schloss Hohenwerfen'

Open into November, but then closed through till 01-APR. Still worth a
visit.

I forgot to mention that the Kehlsteinhaus is not open in winter nor
is there a bus service to the summit but the route may be climbed on
foot. You may have difficulty finding the start of the route - but if
you find the Cafe Hintertek and turn left out if its door, you will
see a bridge across the road in front of you. This the road to the
summit. If the gates are shut just jump over or cross the road and
climb the embankment.

The whole area is undergoing some highly destructive development and
the Cafe Hintertek may have destroyed by the time you arrive there.

Winter is the best time to visit (the exterior) as there is no-one
else present.