How to fix classic skiing foot-flex injury?

Old January 17th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Default How to fix classic skiing foot-flex injury?

I'm getting a flare-up of some pain in rearward of the ball of my
right foot when I classic ski (which is all I do).

I wonder what's up, what causes it, how to fix it.

It flared up on a 5-hr ungroomed tour last weekend now it seems eager
to hurt whenever I go out.

I thought maybe it came up due to skiing for 15 minutes or more in a
tire-track of a quad-runner ORV, so that I was weighting the outside
of the foot---skiing more in a single track down the centerline of my
body.

It's not superbad...yet. I'd like to figure it out!

It does seem like a deep ankle flexing classic technique IS a stress
regarding the flexing of the foot. But maybe there's something I can
do to fix this...

Hmmm...probably not skiing for a week is a likely cure... (rats)

Any ideas?

--JP
jeff a t outyourbackdoor d o t com
Old January 17th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Was it Oddvar Bra who said that if the forefoot wasn't sore after
classical skiing, there was something wrong with the technique? That's
one possibility, as you were out 5 hrs and in ungroomed track. I do
unweighted and sometimes body-weighted foot/ankle circles, originally
to deal with peroneal tendonitis.

Gene

Old January 18th 09, 11:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

jeff potter wrote:
[...]

jeff a t outyourbackdoor d o t com- Hide quoted text -

Jeff,
I had foot pain earlier in the season from classic skiing. For years I
used the Salomon Profil boots with no foot pain or problems at all.
Once the Salomon Pilot Classic Bumble Bees came out I had real pain on
the ball of the foot. Sometimes after only a few minutes of skiing.
I'm convince it was the way the the exterior sole was constructed. If
you've seen a pair it's a a two part sole which is parted right under
the ball of the foot. I think it puts pressure on the ball of foot or
didn't allow the boot to roll as it flexed. With the newer Salomon
Pilot's the sole is different with the sole pieces overlaping by the
heel. I was good with these boots for the last two seasons but as I
mentioned earlier this season I was getting pain right away. This
surprised me because the newer Pilots were working for me. I switched
out some bindings and went back to my Rossi boots which I always use
for roller skiing. Perhaps my foot is accustomed to these boots but at
any rate no more pain. I would try some other boots even if it means
switching out some bindings. Foot pain is aweful because it seems
everything starts with the kick. However at least you don't have a
sports hernia like me. Last weekend I tried to go race pace in a
classic race and I was a cripple for a week. Interestingly I can skate
ski at race pace with success.
Old January 25th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
robert

Thanks for bringing up this subject Jeff. I have always suffered from arch
cramps after classic skiing, no matter what boot or binding. The night after
skiing if I don't have weight on my feet I am not able to sleep. Just
recently suffered an attack of plantar fasciitis for the first time and the
pain felt familiar, but a few inches farther back, perhaps the other end of
the same tendon? The tape job done by the podiatrist helped tremendously. I
am anxious to hear if anyone else has experienced this pain.

classic ski flex mike Nordic Skiing 2 February 25th 08 07:09 PM
Salomon Classic Boots-No More Foot Pain! ADK Skier Nordic Skiing 1 February 1st 07 03:10 AM
Salomon Pilot Classic and Pilot 2 Classic Foot Pain ADK Skier Nordic Skiing 9 December 7th 06 05:08 PM
Classic vs Combi boot flex (and boots FS) Gene Goldenfeld Nordic Skiing 0 July 11th 05 10:37 PM
Atomic classic flex number? Camilo Nordic Skiing 8 December 6th 04 12:13 AM