When it's not your time to die

Old March 12th 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
TOG@Toil

Default When it's not your time to die

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:
Just had a call from an old friend. Like us, she went skiing at half-term,
with her daughter. And she took a tumble and (it turned out) did her
cruciate ligaments in one knee.

Anyway, she was very high up at Les Arcs, and for some reason the ski-doo
blood wagon couldn't get to her, or there wasn't one available anyway, so
she was loaded into the old-fashioned stretcher with one rescue bod fore
and one aft. You know the things.

And off they set. "All you can see is sky," she said "because you're
strapped in."

And then there was a loud *CRACK*. That was one of the handles breaking
off, that was. And off went the stretcher, with nobody holding it, and her
still strapped in.

If only 1 handle broke, what was

a) The guy holding with hand 2 ? (assuming 2 per end)
b) The guy at the other end holding ?

Absolutely no idea. As (I assume, as it rolled rather than slid) they
were traversing at the time (she said the crunch happened on a steep
mogul field), one guy probably just couldn't hold it.
Old March 12th 10, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
YTC#1[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 05:19:24 -0800, TOG@Toil wrote:

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
[...]

So, lets get this straight, while taking an injured person off the
mountain, the smarty pants rescue bods decided to have some fun in a mogul
field :-)

--
Bruce Porter
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GSX250, Pegaso 650 Trail

Old March 12th 10, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Alex Heney

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
[...]

If it was somewhere they couldn't get a ski-doo to, they probably
didn't have much choice in the matter.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!
Old March 13th 10, 02:20 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
SP

YTC#1 wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:17:10 +0000, ts wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue

bods caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have
thought: "Oh well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

There is no god, if there had been, none of the above would have
happened :-)

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

--
Lesley
Residing in the Capital of Culture 2008
Old March 13th 10, 06:35 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 02:20:56 GMT, "SP" wrote:

YTC#1 wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:17:10 +0000, ts wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

No. They don't. If a ligament is stretched or partially torn, the only
healing will be to the other damaged tissues around it. The ligament
itself will remain in its stretched state[1]. If it's snapped it's
snapped forever.

ACL replacement surgery is very common these days, which usually takes
the hamstring tendon, split in half down the middle, together with the
bone it's attached to, and screws it in place of where the ligament
used to be. Tendon and ligament are effectively the same material, but
the former is in a more 'live' state which can regrow and heal,
whereas once it's stopped being pulled by muscles all the time it
stabilises into another more static state.

[1] Which is why I'm destined to be taking painkillers for the rest of
my life, after all the ligaments attaching my ribs to my spine were
ripped and torn by my big smash a few years ago.
--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old March 13th 10, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:

And then there was a loud *CRACK*. That was one of the handles
breaking off, that was. And off went the stretcher, with nobody
holding it, and her still strapped in.

If only 1 handle broke, what was

a) The guy holding with hand 2 ? (assuming 2 per end) b) The guy at the
other end holding ?

There are different types of sledge used, some with handles at both
ends for two people and some just at one.

Absolutely no idea. As (I assume, as it rolled rather than slid) they were
traversing at the time (she said the crunch happened on a steep mogul
field), one guy probably just couldn't hold it.

So, lets get this straight, while taking an injured person off the
mountain, the smarty pants rescue bods decided to have some fun in a mogul
field :-)

I've assisted at incidents where they've had to get the victom dowm
moguls. Generally they just go straight down. Not fun for the poor sap
strapped in, and a hell of a lot of work for the piste guys too.

If it was somewhere they couldn't get a ski-doo to, they probably
didn't have much choice in the matter.

Indeed.

Old March 13th 10, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Tosspot

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

There is no god, if there had been, none of the above would have happened
:-)

I've reached the conclusion god hates me because I'm an atheist and
that's one thing that really winds him up.

****.

Old March 13th 10, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 02:20:56 GMT, "SP" wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

Wrong.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old March 13th 10, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ts

YTC#1 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:17:10 +0000, ts wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

. . . .

ACL replacement surgery is very common these days,

That's rather what I was thinking of - a knee that eventually works.

--
ts in Surrey // to send e-mail, remove vehicle
K-RS 8v, 80/7, 750SS
Old March 13th 10, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Domenec

"Alex Heney" escribió en el mensaje de noticias

If it was somewhere they couldn't get a ski-doo to, they probably
didn't have much choice in the matter.

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Plase wear helmet, that's all.

It's About Time pigo Alpine Skiing 73 September 20th 07 05:07 PM
First Time Kid JayD Nordic Skiing 3 February 12th 07 01:43 AM
time Howlee Alpine Skiing 14 August 1st 05 09:48 PM
Next time I'll pay more attention to the half-time show Dave Stallard Alpine Skiing 15 February 4th 04 04:38 AM
It's Time Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 14 August 16th 03 04:44 AM