road tripping

Old December 2nd 04, 10:12 PM
Dmitry

Default road tripping

I'm doing my homework for a ski/snowboard road trip sometime in the
end of Dec or first week of Jan. We'll be heading east out of Seattle
(WY, MO, ID, CO, UT). We have about a week, maybe a little more.

Basically, I'd like to solicit some suggestions for mountains worth
visiting, and maybe also general sites/places that are "must see"
this time of the year. So far, Silver and Jackson Hole are on my
"must go" list. We have a strong preference for less mainstream
mountains with more locals on them and less tourist crowds. Also
advanced terrain and quality of snow are of great interest. We'll
have only one or two people who are intermediate level, everyone
else advanced.

We'll probably want to visit either Denver or SLC and stay there for
half a day, but other than that any route would be good.

Thanks in advance!

Old December 2nd 04, 10:40 PM
Dmitry

"lal_truckee" wrote

We'll probably want to visit either Denver or SLC and stay there for
half a day, but other than that any route would be good.

Denver's too far; even SLC is too far. Cover the goodies in Canada - Red, Fernie, etc; drop down to Montana, west Wy - JH, Targhee
(ski the pass a day) come back by way of Sun Bowl (and up the Sawtooth range for a visual treat.)

Some of us might have issues with having to do paperwork for crossing the
boarder, so Canada might not be in the cards. But the rest sounds good - thanks!

Oh yea, forgot snowkiting. Sun Valley will probably be on the list too, AFAIR
they even have a snowkiting school there (if that came through, was on the
kitesurfing maillist a while ago).

PS: I just made a trip to LA a month ago. 4000 miles in a week, OR, CA
coast plus all the goodies in the Sierras (Lassen, Tahoe, Yosemite, Death
Valley, Mono Lake, etc.). It really helps to have a good comfortable car
for such trips.

Old December 2nd 04, 10:43 PM
lal_truckee

Dmitry wrote:
[...]

Save SLC and east (Co) for another trip.
Old December 2nd 04, 10:54 PM
Chris J.

"Dmitry" wrote in message
newsrMrd.432690$wV.46106@attbi_s54...
I'm doing my homework for a ski/snowboard road trip sometime in the
end of Dec or first week of Jan. We'll be heading east out of Seattle
(WY, MO, ID, CO, UT). We have about a week, maybe a little more.

Basically, I'd like to solicit some suggestions for mountains worth
visiting, and maybe also general sites/places that are "must see"
this time of the year. So far, Silver and Jackson Hole are on my
"must go" list. We have a strong preference for less mainstream
mountains with more locals on them and less tourist crowds. Also
advanced terrain and quality of snow are of great interest. We'll
have only one or two people who are intermediate level, everyone
else advanced.

We'll probably want to visit either Denver or SLC and stay there for
half a day, but other than that any route would be good.

Thanks in advance!

Schweitzer Mtn. in Sandpoint is one of my personal favorites, as is Big Sky
near Bozeman, MT. Both are more like destination resorts than local places.
If you end up on 84 in Eastern Oregon, Anthony Lakes (between Baker City and
La Grande) is a fun little low key hill to check out. They have just 1 old
triple, but it accesses a lot of interesting terrain and there's some nice
stuff available if you hike a little.

Chris

Old December 2nd 04, 11:01 PM
Dave M

Dmitry wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote

[...]

There are some great smaller (ie less well known and much less crowded)
ski areas in western Montana that are more than worth the stop if you
are traveling that way anyhoo. I think that Foot2foot skied them all
and could offer some suggestions. If not, I could give you the lowdown
on a few. Big Mtn is nice but often crowded when I have been there.
Take a stop at Schweitzer in North ID, maybe then head to MT maybe Great
divide for some altitude before Big Mtn.

A week isn't long once you start traveling between points in MT and WY -
everything is pretty spread out - let alone getting there from SEA in
the winter over Snoqualmie Pass - 4.5 hrs to Spokane if decent (6-8 if
not so good or idy across central WA), then three more to Missoula if
decent and a lot longer if 4th of July Pass is snowed up. 6-7 hours on
dry roads from Spokane to Butte where you would head south to Jackson
(maybe) a *lot longer if there is weather as there are multiple mtn.
passes betwixt and Butte is even almost on one of them.

You could always go South out of SEA and hit Mt. Hood then up the gorge
on I84 then thru tri-Cities to I-90 and back on track for ID and MT. Mt.
Hood is pretty cool and the lodge is worth a stay anyway.

Rambling, I know. We have not enough to ski on and I am itchy. So much
to ski and so little snow to do it on......

Dave M.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:00 AM
John Richardson

"Chris J." wrote in message
"Dmitry" wrote in message
[...]

I'll second Big Sky. I went out there last spring. Spent a couple of days
there and one day at the new place next to it, Moonlight Basin. Moonlight
Basin was fun, too. I never waited in a line at Big Sky. Never even saw a
line at Moonlight Basin. Stayed at the Corral Bar, Motel and Steakhouse
outside of town. If you plan it right, it's on the way to Jackson Hole.

John

Old December 3rd 04, 06:07 AM
foot2foot

"Dave M" wrote in message

There are some great smaller (ie less well known and much less crowded)
ski areas in western Montana that are more than worth the stop if you
are traveling that way anyhoo. I think that Foot2foot skied them all
and could offer some suggestions. If not, I could give you the lowdown
on a few. Big Mtn is nice but often crowded when I have been there.
Take a stop at Schweitzer in North ID, maybe then head to MT maybe Great
divide for some altitude before Big Mtn.

Discovery. Whatever you do don't miss the backside of
Discovery. Hopefully they'll have enough to go by that time,
one would think so.

There's a little place I'm trying to think of, way northeast
Montana, it's powder heaven, although not huge or really
steep, it's wide open and only going on weekends. It's
a ski club hill. *If*, they've been dumped, it would make
a good stop. Libby Montana or something. Quite the
characters, they are. They used to have the world's longest
Tbar, now it's chair city.

There's also the mystery area I was not able to find.
A chair that goes straight up this ridiculous cliff, no easy
way down. I've heard, I've never seen.

[...]

Dave, I really don't know who you are or where you come
from, but you've gained my respect, and appreciation. How are
you on beginner instruction technique?

You other guys. See how easy it is?

Old December 3rd 04, 03:32 PM
Dave M

foot2foot wrote:

"Dave M" wrote in message

[...]

I have no idea at all how to take that. Thanks, I guess. I teach no one,
I only try to do it myself as much as possible. Well, OK, I have been
skiing with my four year old for two years - but she has taken some real
lessons too.

I would absolutely second the backside of discovery tho. Awesome stuff
if the conditions are right.

Dave M.
Just a poor misuderstood kid (not) from Jersey

Old December 3rd 04, 04:14 PM
Walt

foot2foot wrote:

Dave, I really don't know who you are or where you come
from, but you've gained my respect, and appreciation. How are
you on beginner instruction technique?

You other guys. See how easy it is?

How easy what is? Sorry, I must have dozed off.

Were you explaining Schrittbogen again?

--
//-Walt
//
Old December 3rd 04, 04:30 PM
tg

"Dmitry" wrote in message
newsrMrd.432690$wV.46106@attbi_s54...
I'm doing my homework for a ski/snowboard road trip sometime in the
end of Dec or first week of Jan. We'll be heading east out of Seattle
(WY, MO, ID, CO, UT). We have about a week, maybe a little more.

Basically, I'd like to solicit some suggestions for mountains worth
visiting, and maybe also general sites/places that are "must see"
this time of the year. So far, Silver and Jackson Hole are on my
"must go" list. We have a strong preference for less mainstream
mountains with more locals on them and less tourist crowds. Also
advanced terrain and quality of snow are of great interest. We'll
have only one or two people who are intermediate level, everyone
else advanced.

I would add Red Mountain, Big White, and Fernie in BC, Tamarack (new resort)
in Idaho, and Peak Snowcats in Idaho as well ($225) for day trip if I
remember correctly. I have also heard good things about Schweitzer and
Silver Mountains in Idaho as well as far as being smaller and more "local".
That would be a nice loop.

Sounds like fun.