What happened (long)

Old September 13th 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

Default What happened (long)

Champ wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:46:55 +0100, "Hog"
wrote:

Champ wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:18:31 +0100, "Hog"
wrote:

Benny wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard
that he snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the
collective. This stops the engine turning the rotor and the
forces of rotation, the chopper will level, but you still need
quiet a bit of air speed to get lift to the blades to do an
autorotation. He must have got that bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

Poof. They're fantastic machines.

To watch, yes

http://www.champ.org.uk/boards/image...ssia%20043.jpg

Like I said - poof.

Oh I'm right behind you chum....throwing up into your hood

TBF that would be ok. It's the Robinson 22's that are horrible.

--
Hog
'96 *******12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Old September 13th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Benny

"Hog" wrote in message
Benny wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard that he
snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the collective. This
stops the engine turning the rotor and the forces of rotation, the
chopper will level, but you still need quiet a bit of air speed to
get lift to the blades to do an autorotation. He must have got that
bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

This should put you off then. (I think it'll work, the pics that is)

http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli1.jpg
http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli2.jpg not sure about line in
pic
http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli3.jpg All switches are in the
off position. He swithched them off after impact!!
http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli4.jpg Brit sense of humour.

--
Benny

Old September 13th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:10:22 +0100, "Hog"
wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard
that he snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the
collective. This stops the engine turning the rotor and the
forces of rotation, the chopper will level, but you still need
quiet a bit of air speed to get lift to the blades to do an
autorotation. He must have got that bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

Poof. They're fantastic machines.

To watch, yes

http://www.champ.org.uk/boards/image...ssia%20043.jpg

Like I said - poof.

Oh I'm right behind you chum....throwing up into your hood

TBF that would be ok. It's the Robinson 22's that are horrible.

Fair play, they can be a bit marginal in extreme conditions:
http://images.google.com/images?sour...ed+helicopters
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
Old September 13th 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BGN

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:58:57 +0100, "Ken" wrote:

If this is the way you ride a bike, i would strongly advise you to give it
up now, before you get killed!

I think it was the way his dismounted it which caused more problems
but he's still around, inne?

Also: Post at the bottom.
--
-- Nick ICQ: 9235201 EMAIL & MSN:
-- LOTR#4 SKOGA#8 DS#7 BOTAFOT#159 BOTM#2 FBOTY#06 PM#11
Old September 13th 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

wrote:

Benny wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard
that he snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the
collective. This stops the engine turning the rotor and the
forces of rotation, the chopper will level, but you still need
quiet a bit of air speed to get lift to the blades to do an
autorotation. He must have got that bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

Poof. They're fantastic machines.

To watch, yes

http://www.champ.org.uk/boards/image...ssia%20043.jpg

Like I said - poof.

Oh I'm right behind you chum....throwing up into your hood

TBF that would be ok. It's the Robinson 22's that are horrible.

I had a lesson in one, suprisingly sitting on a foam pad in a plastic bubble
at several thousand feet is not terrifying

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old September 13th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Harrowing tale snipped.

Wow.

Thanks Ace, you've helped me make up my mind to sell my bike. Wife and kids
very pleased.

Best of luck with the rehab.

A. D.

This reads better if you revise the punctuation "Thanks Ace, you've
helped me make up my mind to sell my bike, wife and kids. Very pleased.

Apart from my obvious flippentry I am very glad that Ace survived such a
horrendous accident with little apparent long term damage and will be
able to continue his informative posts.

John

Old September 13th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

MoonMan wrote:
Hog wrote:

TBF that would be ok. It's the Robinson 22's that are horrible.

I had a lesson in one, suprisingly sitting on a foam pad in a plastic
bubble at several thousand feet is not terrifying

I wasn't terrified, I got nauseous from all the bobbing around while
looking down through my knees!

Old September 13th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:19:35 +0100, Alex Heney
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:13:16 +0100, Champ wrote:

You got a ride in a heli? *******.

I get the feeling he wasn't aware enough to get the most out of the
experience :-)

Well I wasn't exactly looking at the view, if that's what you mean.
Actually, there are some gaps in my memory - I remember being on the
chopper, but nbot being taken off it - maybe I'm still there and just
dreaming all this...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 13th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:17:46 +0200, John Wilcock
wrote:

Champ wrote:
Ace had two choices - stand the bike up and brake as hard as possible
in a straightline, or throw the bike in. If he'd taken the latter
approach, he'd probably have had a different sort of accident, and
only luck would have determined if the outcome would have been better
or worse. There is perhaps a tiny chance that he would have got ronud
the corner.

Well put.

Could you keep the pure motorcycle talk to ukrm please? This is getting
decidedly off-topic for us skiers.

It's pretty unusual for ukrm too, so don't complain.

[Not that it really matters much given the low traffic on rsre during
the summer, but as a matter of principle...]

Well quite - it's not exactly going to break the bandwidth, is it?

PS - Ace, hope your recovery goes as expected and you can indeed get
back on the slopes before the end of next season.

Ta. I hope so too.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 13th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
catman

steve auvache wrote:
catman wrote

Ace wrote:

So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -
long straight followed by tight right-hander, so lots of beans being
applied. This is a nice road and I'm enjoying the ride in, but somehow
I get sucked into it. Mistake #1.

GWS FFS. And don't do it again, huh?

He can do it again if he likes, in fact he can do it until it is simply
not funny any more if he wants.

You are a *******, you know. Funny, but a ******* none the less.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk