What happened (long)

Old September 13th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
darsy

Default What happened (long)

"Le Dieu" wrote:

Has Ace mentioned whether or not he'll ride again?

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride again.
--
d.
Old September 13th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
flash

darsy wrote:
"Le Dieu" wrote:

Has Ace mentioned whether or not he'll ride again?

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride again.

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride a bit slower, even if
only round that one particular corner.

I do like the detail that they took the opportunity to sort out his
hair whilst he was under sedation - a similar thing happened to one of
my gran's somewhat matted cats. I take it he used to spit and scratch
at people if they tried to cut it whilst he was concious ( and then
**** on their coats in revenge).

Old September 13th 06, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
steve auvache

catman wrote
Ace wrote:
So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -
long straight followed by tight right-hander, so lots of beans being
applied. This is a nice road and I'm enjoying the ride in, but somehow
I get sucked into it. Mistake #1.

GWS FFS. And don't do it again, huh?

He can do it again if he likes, in fact he can do it until it is simply
not funny any more if he wants.

--
steve auvache
i rate dates
Old September 13th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Scraggy

Ace wrote:
Had I been a bit further
ahead I'd probably have gone right over the Armco, with little more
damage than a few bruises.

That would have earned a lot more points in 'artistic interpretation'
stakes.

members. Groucho Marx

Old September 13th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Buzby

"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:47:31 +0100, "Hog"
wrote:

Champ wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:54:25 +0100, Lozzo wrote:

Champ says...
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:40:36 +0100, "Buzby"
wrote:

So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work
- long straight followed by tight right-hander, so lots of beans
being applied. This is a nice road and I'm enjoying the ride in,
but somehow I get sucked into it. Mistake #1.

snip

You lucky lucky ****er.

To survive, maybe. To be spat into an Armco barrier at 50+eek mph?
That isn't what I call lucky.

Couldn't agree more.

Y'see, I think he was *unlucky*.

My thinking too. All of the other times when I got away with it were
the lucky ones.

I like to think positive.

I *am* thinking positive!

OK so do you think this was a case of target fixation and panic braking?

No.

or was your speed such that it was impossible to carve any line around
the bend?

Yes.

I only ask because years of SOB and TT100 type tyres had drummed in the
mantra of getting off the brakes before peeling in. Subsequent track
tuition proved it was possible to start heeling in while hard on the
anchors gradually releasing the pressure as you approach maximum lean.
I regularly brake into a corner now, partly a play off with greater
lean, when the corner appears to be tightening. Partly controlling long
travel suspension unwinding quickly.

I also brake into corners a lot, and modern tyres and geometry make it
perfectly do-able. In this case though, I was still on maximum braking
at, and beyond, the turn-in point, so there was no more grip to give.
In fact, of course, I might well have been better of doing so, but
that's only based on what I actually hit. Had I been a bit further
ahead I'd probably have gone right over the Armco, with little more
damage than a few bruises.

Unlucky/lucky - whatever - you're still in one loosely assembled piece.

You're scenario is probably a case for using counter steering. I've over
cooked it a couple of times and got away with it by counter steering - with
a judicious shove of the bars it's amazing just how far the bike will go
over before the tyres let go. [1].

However, I fully expect the racing types will be along in a minute to tell
me I'm talking ********.

[1] it doesn't always work #8-(

Old September 13th 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On 13 Sep 2006 05:40:30 -0700, "flash" wrote:

darsy wrote:
"Le Dieu" wrote:

Has Ace mentioned whether or not he'll ride again?

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride again.

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride a bit slower, even if
only round that one particular corner.

I do like the detail that they took the opportunity to sort out his
hair whilst he was under sedation - a similar thing happened to one of
my gran's somewhat matted cats. I take it he used to spit and scratch
at people if they tried to cut it whilst he was concious ( and then
**** on their coats in revenge).

I'm planning my revenge on the Nurses concerned.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 13th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:48:12 +0100, "Buzby" wrote:

snip

Unlucky/lucky - whatever - you're still in one loosely assembled piece.

You're scenario is probably a case for using counter steering. I've over
cooked it a couple of times and got away with it by counter steering - with
a judicious shove of the bars it's amazing just how far the bike will go
over before the tyres let go. [1].

You're talking ********, I'm afraid. Countersteering is just what we
all do all of the time anyway, although being aware of how it works
can help with more precision and control. But it won't make any
difference to the amount of mechanical grip available through the
tyres.

It's clear that there _was_ slightly more grip available, otherwise it
would have washed out instead of stoppying, but I'd defy _anybody_ to
be physically, let alone mentally, capable of dropping a bike into a
bend with 90%+ of front anchors applied. The forces working against
this are just too strong.

However, I fully expect the racing types will be along in a minute to tell
me I'm talking ********.

IANART, but yes.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 13th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Buzby

"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:48:12 +0100, "Buzby" wrote:

snip

Unlucky/lucky - whatever - you're still in one loosely assembled piece.

You're scenario is probably a case for using counter steering. I've over
cooked it a couple of times and got away with it by counter steering -
with
a judicious shove of the bars it's amazing just how far the bike will go
over before the tyres let go. [1].

You're talking ********, I'm afraid. Countersteering is just what we
all do all of the time anyway, although being aware of how it works
can help with more precision and control. But it won't make any
difference to the amount of mechanical grip available through the
tyres.

I agree we all counter steer to some extent without realising it - however
what I'm trying to say is a deliberate push on the bars can be more
effective than jamming the brakes on and highsiding it.

It's clear that there _was_ slightly more grip available, otherwise it
would have washed out instead of stoppying, but I'd defy _anybody_ to
be physically, let alone mentally, capable of dropping a bike into a
bend with 90%+ of front anchors applied. The forces working against
this are just too strong.

Ah, as you were then - that scenario is well out of my comfort/capability
zone

Old September 13th 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

Ace wrote:
[...]

Ah Sir needs a modern BMW I expect, K1200S perhaps, where braking forces
are isolated from steering geometry.

--
Hog
'96 *******12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Old September 13th 06, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mark Olson

darsy wrote:
"Le Dieu" wrote:

Has Ace mentioned whether or not he'll ride again?

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride again.

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride a bit slower, even if
only round that one particular corner.

I do like the detail that they took the opportunity to sort out his
hair whilst he was under sedation - a similar thing happened to one of
my gran's somewhat matted cats. I take it he used to spit and scratch
at people if they tried to cut it whilst he was concious ( and then
**** on their coats in revenge).

I'm planning my revenge on the Nurses concerned.

What if they aren't wearing coats?

--
'01 SV650S '99 EX250-F13 '98 ZG1000-A13 '81 CM400T
OMF #7