Fischer Boot Sizing

Old November 3rd 05, 04:47 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Default Fischer Boot Sizing

When Eli was demo'ing Centrix boots at the Birkie a couple years ago, I
skied on a pair of size 40s, and they fit great except my toes were
rubbing the front end. Last year, I again tried on the 40s and I got
the same fit...just a touch too short.

This year, I ordered the 40s and was expecting to have them stretched
in length, and bingo, they fit right out of the box. Huh, I guess
either I'm lucky in getting a mis-manufacture, my feet got shorter, or
maybe, just maybe, Fischer lengthened their boots just a fraction.
Also, I think the upper material has definitely improved, both inside
and out.

Jay Wenner

Old November 3rd 05, 05:28 PM
Jim Howe

I was interested in buying a pair of Centrixs last year. I spoke with a
sponsered skier who said he/she would not buy a pair...only used them
because they were given to him/her.

My Salomon Carbons are pure hell on the balls of my feet - I can skate
for about an hour and then it becomes almost unbearable. So I need to
switch boots and, hopefully, I can do it without changing my binding
system, also.

Hopefully the changes Fischer has made are improvements, though I will
demo before
I pull the trigger....

Jim

Old November 3rd 05, 06:01 PM
Jim Howe

I'm thinking about making the switch to Fischer. My Salomon Carbons are
destroying my feet. The pain in the ball of my foot becomes unbearable
after about 1.5 hours of skating -even after I exchanged for a larger
size.

I talked to a Fischer sponsered atheletes last year and he/she said
they wouldn't buy Fischer Centrix if he/she were an ordinary consumer -
only using them because they were given the boots. Hopefully the
changes made to this years model are improvements. I will demo before I
pull the trigger....

Jim

Old November 4th 05, 01:03 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Jim,
Get on eBay. There have been a lot of Salomon skate, classic and
combi (and pre-Centrix Fischer) boots for sale at roughly half price. I
just got a pair of second generation Salomon bumblebee classics for $110
+ S/H. Also look at the completed auctions.

Gene

Old November 4th 05, 01:07 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Forgot to mention the idea of shoe stretchers. I've got the wooden
screw kind, with some metal ovals that pop in holes on the sides
(drilled some extra). After a week with the stretchers, my new Skate 9
bumblebees have done me well on two two-hour rollerskis.

Gene

Old November 4th 05, 02:51 AM
Jim Howe

Gene,

I keep looking on ebay - I saw a large selection off Salomon Race
Skates, but not my size. I will keep looking...

I've tried stretching my Carbons with a shoe horn, but I still have
problems. I'll look for a shoe stretcher, although I think it's the
lack of a decent sole on the Carbons that is giving me problems - that
and the fact they are a low to medium volume toe box. I think the
Fischer Centrix have a wide toe box, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the information,

Jim

Old November 4th 05, 12:40 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

I think most people will agree that:

Salomon 911/9.1 was a narrow or "low volume" boot
Salomon Pilot (yellow) was a wider or "higher volume" boot
Salomon Carbon is low volume boot
Fischer Centrix is a high volume boot

So Salomon seems to have gone back and forth on width, and now offers
two widths (Race and Carbon). I _think_ the Fischer boots have tweaked
the fit to slightly longer (I presume to be a more universal fit) and
it wouldn't surprise me to see Fischer offer a couple widths in the
future. Also, I think the 40 Centrix is probably comparible to a 40 2/3
Salomon in length.

Alpina? Man I have no idea.

Jay Wenner

Old November 4th 05, 03:25 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

When I tried on the Centrix last year, Armen at Finn Sisu said that some
people were sizing smaller as compared to Salomon, but that wasn't the
case for me in length. Fischer claims the skate boot last this year
hasn't changed, but there are reports... The new classic boot feels
lighter and has definitely been brought down to a wide in the forefoot,
but still has a big heel and no adjustment. They have included a second
insole as an option. People in Austria have big feet?

Gene

Old November 4th 05, 03:27 PM
Jim Howe

I like the look of the new Alpina racing model. I guess Kris Freeman
does to, although it would be interesting to find out if they
approached him or he went to them. I believe he started out on Fischer
Centrix last year and by the end of the year, if I'm not mistaken, he
was racing on Rossignol Xiums at the Colorado Spring Series...

Old November 4th 05, 04:47 PM
Norski

Two weeks ago, we did the four hour drive down to Mpls for 'Fischer
University'. Fischer USA flew in Adi Luzlbauer (Centrix boot engineer) and
Hans Hubinger (Nordic race ski engineer) from Austria to present this years
product improvements.
Adi is a 'shoe maker' by profession and is very passionate about making the
best boot. They have some good design ideas worth trying. The name 'Centrix'
means to 'center' the foot in the boot for a stable position. By having a
rounded last, the foot is snuggled into the boot. The image Adi presented
was a round ball on a flat surface - the ball (your foot) wants to roll and
is not stable. Now put the ball into a valley. It will find the bottom and
not rock from side to side. They call this the 'Integrated footbed'
The integrated footbed works in combination with the 'tape lacing'. These
are 5 'straps' running across the top and upper portion of the boot to lock
the foot into the heel of the boot. The idea I believe, is similar to the
straps on cycling shoes. Only the foot is more cradled into the heel of the
boot rather than pushed down from above, as in a cycling shoe.
Adi demonstrated how a person should put on the boot. First, the outer cover
is 'peeled down', opening up the inner boot. For me, this is a big
improvement over the Salomon Carbon boot, which is difficult to get into.
Next, sit down and push the foot into the heel (this was his most important
item). Tighten the laces, starting at the bottom, with not too much pressure
on the instep.
He also said the toes should be able to wiggle. This is a design feature to
help keep your feet warm. While I can ski all day in the Salomon Skate 9, I
could only use the Salomon Carbons in races and had to use the 'chemical toe
warmers' to keep my feet from freezing up.
After 5 hours, Adi was still talking and would have kept going, but they
stopped him, as time was running out. He was just getting into modifying
boots to get the perfect fit. On the Centrix boot, there is an additional
insole, called the 'volume reduction part'. Adi said this can be cut with a
pair of scissors to reduce pressure points on the bottom of the foot. He
also had a Dremel grinder with him.
As Gene pointed out, pressure points on the sides of a boot can be addressed
too. Adi pulled out a 'shoe makers tool'. It was about 2' long and shaped
like a pair of pliers. He then proceeded to push out a half inch 'wart' on
the side of a pair of Centrixs to demonstrate removing a pressure point. Adi
said a dealer or consumer could do the same by using a heat gun and pushing
outward from the inside with the handle of a screwdriver.
They didn't say anything about the length or size of this years Centrixs
being changed from previous years. However, the inner boot is new. It is
lower and more flexible. There is a new lining with 2mm of foam padding and
heel reinforcement. The boot stiffener is softer. Laces are now 100% nylon
and a quick lacing system. New zipper with a manual lock (push down to
lock). Quality control on the two steel pins.
His suggestion to consumers is to wear the same socks as for skiing when
fitting new boots at a dealer. Feet will get bigger during the day by 5-8%.
Left and right foot differ in size.
The last thing Adi told the dealers, was not to pressure consumers into
buying the boot if it didn't fit. I believe he is sincere in feeling the
Centrix is the best design, but knows it will not work for everyone. The
Centrix boot is worth trying for the design features and many shops have
demos available.
I suppose I've posted too many details, as engineers tend to do, but I hope
this is of some value.

Disclaimer-Fischer is the equipment supplier for our private race team.

Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC
Engineering, Construction and Information Technology Services
Ashland, WI.