Question about New Mexico Skiing/Living

Old September 28th 04, 02:22 PM

Default Question about New Mexico Skiing/Living

Soliciting any/all advice from any/all knowledgeable/interested folks.

May have just landed a *virtual office* job, ie; I can live anywhere.

I'd like to buy 5-20 acres accessible to a lake or river, near *low
key* ski-areas. (the least touristy possible)

Is New Mexico a good Place??? Anybody have any thoughts?

I've never been, but it has to be less expensive and more accessible
than colorado, utah, wyoming, montana, california, the beast-coast,
etc ...
Old September 29th 04, 12:39 AM
Bob Lee

Soliciting any/all advice from any/all knowledgeable/interested folks.

May have just landed a *virtual office* job, ie; I can live anywhere.

I'd like to buy 5-20 acres accessible to a lake or river, near *low
key* ski-areas. (the least touristy possible)

Is New Mexico a good Place??? Anybody have any thoughts?

I think New Mexico is a good Place, but I'm pretty sure it deosn't fall
within your parameters. I have some standard advice for you - New
Mexico is not for everyone.

First thing you should do is decide what you mean by "accessible to a
lake or river." Lakes and rivers are pretty scarce here in NM - you may
have noticed that the state has some notoriety as a desert - and the
rivers in particular tend to be different than what many peoples think
of as rivers proper.

The ski areas are mostly located in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in
the northern part of the state, with a few exceptions - Ski Apache in
the southern part of the state near Ruidoso, and Pajarito near Los
Alamos in the Jemez Mountains. Taos is the only real world-class skiing
though it's packed with Texan tourists. Red River and Angel Fire are
mid-sized and located near Eagle Nest Lake, but the skiing is boring and
they are what I consider "touristy" though I guess not as bad as Summit
County Colorado. There are a couple of small ski areas as well, like
Santa Fe (which isn't near a lake or river and the town is expensive).

I've never been, but it has to be less expensive and more accessible
than colorado, utah, wyoming, montana, california, the beast-coast,
etc ...

Heh. Wrong. It is less expensive than Colorado and California, but not
the others, and it's less accessible than any of those, except *maybe*
Wyoming and Montana.

Take some time an look at a map and float a few specific locations here
in rsa. Or if you like my advice, send me a check and I'll pick out a
nice place for you.

Bob
Old September 29th 04, 01:59 PM

Appreciate all the input.

I'm in Wisconsin, and have been living within spitting distance of
lake michigan or lake mendota all my life, which may or may not
explain my affinity to bodies of water. Woods and Water, we have it
in abundance here, unfortunately no mountains. Would like to stay,
but ****, I hate dreaming about skiing every winter ... and forcing
myself to go to the nearest 300ft vertical 'mountain' for a quick fix.

I've thought of the UP in Michigan, love the area, good people... but
it takes about 2 or 3 runs down indian-head, powderhorn, et al.
before I'm bored out of my mind. The UP is the sticks, I need easy
access to an airport. One hour drive, guarenteed not to be snowed in.

I'll look into Idado... that's sounds like a good choice. Where else
does grass grow blue as it does at Boise State? How's the cost of
living? Any specific areas you can recommend? Any mountain with
1200 vertical feet, and NO hollywood presence is alright by me.

Old September 29th 04, 08:04 PM

Thanks Walt for the suggestions. I have to admit though, I have a
serious aversion to the East coast, perhaps it's due to ignorance, or
maybe a fear of inconvenience.

I recently discovered craigslist.com , awesome resource for nomads.
If I land this job with a *virtual office*, I plan to buy a truck with
a hitch and move to the best apartment-sublet near a ski area that I
can find on craigslist.com. Test the waters, and move on if need be.
Im looking at Idaho right now.

It seems to me that Idaho has more upside than the already over-built
areas. I guess that's why I first asked about New Mexico. I'd like
to get in at close to the bottom as possible. I don't have the
5million required to move to Aspen.
Old September 29th 04, 10:46 PM
Dave M

AstroPax wrote:

On 28 Sep 2004 07:22:50 -0700, wrote:

Soliciting any/all advice from any/all knowledgeable/interested folks.

May have just landed a *virtual office* job, ie; I can live anywhere.

I'd like to buy 5-20 acres accessible to a lake or river, near *low
key* ski-areas. (the least touristy possible)

Is New Mexico a good Place??? Anybody have any thoughts?

I've never been, but it has to be less expensive and more accessible
than colorado, utah, wyoming, montana, california, the beast-coast,
etc ...

If you want world class whitewater *and* OK skiing, Idaho is probably
the best place.

Specifically, Brundage Mountain Resort, and the, ummmm..."quaint" town
of McCall Idaho are both low key.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

OR you can go a little further north and a little less "rustic" and find
yourself at Sandpoint and Schweitzer mountain. You can also be to
several of the Canadian resorts like Red Mountain, Big White, Fernie and
a bunch of little ones pretty quickly, some even for pretty easy day
trips if you want. The skiing is much better IMHO but the world class
whitewater is missing. There is Lake Coeur d'Alene and about a million
others nearby and the Spokane River, Little Spokane, and rivers such as
the Snake (including Hell's Canyon) and Columbia within an easy only
part-day drive. I guess it depends what you want from a river -- 800
pound Sturgeon or class four rapids. (The latter can be had in half a
day over Lolo pass). The real bonus is that you don't even have to live
in ID or even Sandpoint specifically to experience this. You can live
in the "big city" (Spokane WA) and have most of it really close by.

Dave M