Bindings from straight skiis suitable for for shaped?

Old October 14th 05, 03:07 AM

Default Bindings from straight skiis suitable for for shaped?

I was just thinking. I have some older skiis here that have bindings
on them.

I was thinking I might be able to get away cheap by using the bindings
off of one of them on a set of shaped skiis, but then I got to thinking
they might be too wide?

I have a pair of Kneissl White StarRS (195cm) with some good looking
Salomon Driver 797 Bindings These bindings are in the best shape.

I also have a pair of Hart CompSL (200?) with some Marker M48 Titanium
bindings. These show a little more wear, but still in good working
order.

Will they fit a pair of shaped skiis? Something like Rossi Bandits or
Salomon X-Screams???

Buster

Old October 14th 05, 04:11 AM
Norm

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just thinking. I have some older skiis here that have bindings
on them.

I was thinking I might be able to get away cheap by using the bindings
off of one of them on a set of shaped skiis, but then I got to thinking
they might be too wide?

I have a pair of Kneissl White StarRS (195cm) with some good looking
Salomon Driver 797 Bindings These bindings are in the best shape.

I also have a pair of Hart CompSL (200?) with some Marker M48 Titanium
bindings. These show a little more wear, but still in good working
order.

Will they fit a pair of shaped skiis? Something like Rossi Bandits or
Salomon X-Screams???

Almost any binding will fit almost any ski, but - Check here first;

http://www.nssra.com/2001/nssra/inde...cle&recno=2637

If they are not on this list theres not a shop that will touch them. Doesn't
matter if they are brand new in a sealed box, if they mount bindings not on
this list it could invalidate their liability insurance.

No,.its not a good idea to try and mount them yourself.

Old October 14th 05, 04:15 AM

Cool, excellent. Glad to hear that I'll be able to save a couple of
bucks.

Buster

Old October 14th 05, 04:24 AM

I'd never dream of mounting them myself. They're too important to let
me mess them up.

A friend with a Makita cordless drill and some JB Weld said he could
help me though. ;-)

I'll have either the local ski shop (Peter Glen) install them or take
them up to the shops in Pinetop, Arizona and have them do it.

Buster

Old October 14th 05, 08:23 AM
MoonMan

Norm wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I was going to say "only in America", but he is so carry on.....

No,.its not a good idea to try and mount them yourself.

Unless you can borrow the correct Mounting Jig and Drill

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 14th 05, 05:48 PM
Bill Tuthill

Buster, hard to know how safe the older bindings are. I would say
more progress has been made since 1980 in binding technology
than in ski technology. Skis go thru fads of dubious value to the skiier
(short, sidecut, fat, being some recent fads).

E.g. new Marker bindings with variable toe release and active AFD (metal)
might be well worth $169 (piston $199) in saving your knees.

lal_truckee wrote:

P.S. Wash out means the skis aren't torsionally stiff enough to maintain
edge angle under pressure - the shovels and tails twist releasing the
edge resulting in a skid.

Oh! Thanks for the definition. Recent Rossignol Bandit skis have good
torsional rigidity and relatively high tail rigidity, but the tips
are relatively flaccid. This is one reason whey they are so forgiving
in variable conditions.

If you believe Skiing magazine, the 2005 Bandit B2 was top-rated
in several categories (October 2004). Props: to plush feel and
all-mountain performance. Gripes: lacks power and precision.