3 days in Vermont

Old August 19th 05, 05:22 PM
lutton13

Default 3 days in Vermont

Ok, I have 3 days to ski Vermont this coming winter. Where should I
go? I'm a 45 year old intermediate skier. I'll have by 12 year old
son who is an intermediate snowboarder with me. We do the black diamond
slopes in Pennsylvania, but mostly stick to intermediates in Vermont.
We did Killington last year and loved it. Where should we try next?
Jay Peak? Stowe? Bolton Valley? Mad River Glen?

Old August 19th 05, 05:48 PM
VtSkier

lutton13 wrote:
Ok, I have 3 days to ski Vermont this coming winter. Where should I
go? I'm a 45 year old intermediate skier. I'll have by 12 year old
son who is an intermediate snowboarder with me. We do the black diamond
slopes in Pennsylvania, but mostly stick to intermediates in Vermont.
We did Killington last year and loved it. Where should we try next?
Jay Peak? Stowe? Bolton Valley? Mad River Glen?

I was going to say Okemo until you said you loved Killington.

With that I'd think about Sugarbush (North is a little tamer
than South but good terrain at both). Jay is a long drive and
specializes in trees, steeps and deep snow. Stowe will give
you anything you want. Smugglers on the other side of Spruce
Peak at Stowe is a good choice. I'd stay away from Bolton
(lift served too tame) and MRG (oh-my-god nuts) because of
too little intermediate terrain. Did you ski Pico when
you were at Killington last year? Great little mountain, your
Killington pass works there is good for a Saturday because
of smaller crowds and is almost totally deserted on a weekday.
Old August 19th 05, 10:05 PM
Hank Sniadoch

I think you should try Okemo .... fewer people than Killington and lots of
intermediate cruisers ....

Killington has more diversity and more expert terrain, but Okemo is more
relaxing ....
ups.com...

Old August 19th 05, 10:06 PM
Hank Sniadoch

Sugarbush is also a great mountain .... but I like Okemo a bit more ....
Stowe has charm .... (go to Okemo) .....
ups.com...

Old August 19th 05, 11:04 PM
lutton13

VtSkier wrote:
lutton13 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your input. We're thinking about flying into Burlington, so
the driving distance to Jay isn't an issue, but it sounds like Stowe is
more our speed.

We did ski Pico when we were up at Killington and didn't like it at
all.
It might have been just a bad day to go, but while we were there a lift
broke down. There were bare patches and other poor snow conditions
everywhere. And I didn't feel like I was in Vermont. It ssemed like
I was back in the Poconoes!

Old August 20th 05, 02:45 AM
Jack Nixon

lutton13 wrote:

Ok, I have 3 days to ski Vermont this coming winter. Where should I
go? I'm a 45 year old intermediate skier. I'll have by 12 year old
son who is an intermediate snowboarder with me. We do the black diamond
slopes in Pennsylvania, but mostly stick to intermediates in Vermont.
We did Killington last year and loved it. Where should we try next?
Jay Peak? Stowe? Bolton Valley? Mad River Glen?

Does Mad River Glen allow boarders? Might be a bad choice since you admit
your son is a boarder. Not that that's a bad thing.

Jack

Old August 20th 05, 11:38 AM
ant

You'd probably enjoy Mt Snow, as long as it's not during a busy time (lift
lines get a bit long then).

--
ant

Old August 20th 05, 01:05 PM
VtSkier

lutton13 wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

lutton13 wrote:

[...]

Pico is Killington's poor sibling.

Last year the snowmaking didn't work very well and they have
a huge shortage of water, unlike Killington.

And, well, the Summit Express chair is known locally
as the "sometimes express".

If you go to Stowe, I'd seriously consider one day at
Smugglers, but watch the conditions. I think Stowe will
have the better snowmaking, though I hear Smugs' grooming
is really good. It better be, they advertise themselves
as a "Family Mountain".
Old August 20th 05, 01:06 PM
VtSkier

Jack Nixon wrote:

lutton13 wrote:

Ok, I have 3 days to ski Vermont this coming winter. Where should I
go? I'm a 45 year old intermediate skier. I'll have by 12 year old
son who is an intermediate snowboarder with me. We do the black diamond
slopes in Pennsylvania, but mostly stick to intermediates in Vermont.
We did Killington last year and loved it. Where should we try next?
Jay Peak? Stowe? Bolton Valley? Mad River Glen?

Does Mad River Glen allow boarders? Might be a bad choice since you admit
your son is a boarder. Not that that's a bad thing.

Jack

MRG does not allow snowboards.
Old August 20th 05, 01:07 PM
VtSkier

ant wrote:
You'd probably enjoy Mt Snow, as long as it's not during a busy time (lift
lines get a bit long then).

Agree, but he is flying in to Burlington. Too long a drive.