Crash of the year

Old January 17th 05, 01:53 AM
Mary Malmros

Default Crash of the year

.....well, the most spectacular I've seen in some time, especially in a
GS, for heaven's sake. Daron Rahlves had an epic crash at Adelboden,
which you can see by going to
http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?sit...01&sid=5460806 and
clicking on "Ski alpin: occasion ratée pour Didier Defago dans le slalom
géant d'Adelboden (CH). Le 22h30 du 11 janv. 05 (02:43 min.)" (needs
RealPlayer). It's amazing how high and far he got launched, and that he
was actually able to stand up afterwards. Thank God for airwalls, huh?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 24th 05, 06:36 PM
Black Metal Martha

Mary Malmros wrote:
....well, the most spectacular I've seen in some time, especially in

GS, for heaven's sake. Daron Rahlves had an epic crash at Adelboden,

which you can see by going to
http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?sit...01&sid=5460806 and
clicking on "Ski alpin: occasion ratée pour Didier Defago dans le

slalom
géant d'Adelboden (CH). Le 22h30 du 11 janv. 05 (02:43 min.)" (needs

RealPlayer). It's amazing how high and far he got launched, and that

he
was actually able to stand up afterwards. Thank God for airwalls,

huh?

I saw that one on TV, pretty wild. I had a tumbler yesterday at
Kirkwood that was the most spectacular fall I've ever had.

It was a warm, sunny, beautiful day there. The snow was in decent
condition, though not as good as last weekend. There were spots of ice
and slush that surprised a lot of us.

I spent a lot of time exploring areas I hadn;t skied in before,
including the Whiskey/Juniper area. I found the Juniper run down from
Lift 2 was my favorite. I did it a couple of times and on my last run
of the day, I lost my footing somehow and flew in the air, landing on
my chest. Luckily, there's padding there. It knocked the wind out of
me and my ribcage is a little sore, but nothing else was hurt.
Fortunately these two girls (one boarder, one skier) were so cool to
gather my poles and skis and help me up. I was in a very awkward
position and my left binding was jammed so the ski woulnd't come off.

Well, there's one very thoughtful boarder I was happy to meet. The area
was really slushy and difficult to control my skis.

I did break one of my rules. Whenever I say "I'll just take one last
run", I don't. This time I did.

Martha

Old January 24th 05, 07:59 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-24, Black Metal Martha penned:

I saw that one on TV, pretty wild. I had a tumbler yesterday at Kirkwood
that was the most spectacular fall I've ever had.

[snip]

Oooh. Is this an invitation to share our nastiest-ever falls?

The screen shimmers and we find ourselves watching a grainy, black and white
video recording ...

I remember it like it was yesterday, though it must have been almost ten years
ago. The gentle slope had powder-puff moguls on it, as soft as could be. It
was my very first mogul run. Somehow, I got through all of the moguls and was
skiing triumphantly toward the bottom of the lift, which ran above this run,
when ... I hit a bump. It was probably about the size of a fist, maybe
smaller, but it actually threw me into the air and I landed on my stomach. It
knocked the wind out of me, cracked the lens of my goggles, and gave me a
bloody nose. All under the lift, of course. Then, to add insult to injury,
ski patrol came and wasted about an hour of my ski day forcing me to fill out
waiver forms. Boo, hiss!

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 24th 05, 09:40 PM
Mary Malmros

On 2005-01-24, Black Metal Martha penned:

I saw that one on TV, pretty wild. I had a tumbler yesterday at Kirkwood
that was the most spectacular fall I've ever had.

[snip]

Oooh. Is this an invitation to share our nastiest-ever falls?

Not from me it wasn't, as I doubt anyone posting here is going to come
up with anything even approaching what Rahlves did. But anything's a
launching pad if you know what you want to talk about.

Old January 25th 05, 04:43 PM
Marty

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
....well, the most spectacular I've seen in some time, especially in a
GS, for heaven's sake. Daron Rahlves had an epic crash at Adelboden,
which you can see by going to
http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?sit...01&sid=5460806 and
clicking on "Ski alpin: occasion ratée pour Didier Defago dans le slalom
géant d'Adelboden (CH). Le 22h30 du 11 janv. 05 (02:43 min.)" (needs
RealPlayer). It's amazing how high and far he got launched, and that he
was actually able to stand up afterwards. Thank God for airwalls, huh?

I think that was a "Dinner Roll".

I did something similar in a beer league race two years ago. :-) If you
load up a new race stock GS ski and release said ski while going very fast
and while being a bit too far in the back seat - you can easily be launched
into the air. I did not flip like he did - but I did spin 180 degrees in
the air. I'll never forget how long it seemed to take to land and what a
sick feeling it was to not see where I was going to land because I was in
the air backwards. I came down tail-bone first into MN black-ice concrete.
My upper body followed with a violent snap, ending with my teeth crashing
together so hard that I'm sure I would have bitten my tongue off had it been
out there. At first, I was sure I had broken my tail-bone. Ever land hard
on your tail-bone? What a gut wrenching pain that is. I had whiplash so
bad that I could barely lift my head off the pillow for the next several
days. I also had a nice contusion on my backbone that lasted for about a
year from it salpping into the hardpack with only a GS suit, a zip-tee, and
a t-shirt for padding. This was a Wednesday night and of course I was
racing again by Saturday. I was scared ****less to let it all hang out.
That crash is still in my head. I have no idea where these guys and gals on
the WC get their guts from. They are amazing.

To crash that like that, take time off and then let it all hang out in the
Kitz SG - damn - people like Daron are crazy. But, that's what it takes.

These are a great idea for racing:
http://www.artechski.com/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=028

And so are these:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr... tPage=family
--
Marty

Old January 25th 05, 04:46 PM
Marty

"Steve McHenry" wrote in message

snip...

As I was heading down the hill, my Dad was riding up. To this day he
laughs when he mentions this was the first time he ever heard me
curse. "Ohhhhhhhh, shiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt....."

I'm sure he was saying the same from the chair.

Old January 25th 05, 11:33 PM
Black Metal Martha

Mary Malmros wrote:

Oooh. Is this an invitation to share our nastiest-ever falls?

Not from me it wasn't, as I doubt anyone posting here is going to

come
up with anything even approaching what Rahlves did. But anything's a

launching pad if you know what you want to talk about.

I certainly wasn't meaning to turn this into a contest. His fall
reminded me of my nasty one over the weekend.

And yes, his was much worse, though I think I slightly pulled a muscle.
Martha

Old January 26th 05, 12:03 AM
Mary Malmros

Black Metal Martha wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Oooh. Is this an invitation to share our nastiest-ever falls?

Not from me it wasn't, as I doubt anyone posting here is going to

come

up with anything even approaching what Rahlves did. But anything's a

launching pad if you know what you want to talk about.

I certainly wasn't meaning to turn this into a contest. His fall
reminded me of my nasty one over the weekend.

And yes, his was much worse, though I think I slightly pulled a muscle.

I heard his lower leg was too swollen to get his foot in a ski boot ;-)

your muscle pull, besides the "oooooooh! ewwww!" factor of that
crash, I was really amazed that big ol' contusions were more or less the
extent of his injuries, and that he didn't break, sprain, rupture, or
dislocate anything. I bet conditioning has a lot to do with that.
Makes that time in the gym seem pretty worthwhile, huh?

(and I was most impressed at the spectator screams and the way he
annihilated that airwall)

Old January 26th 05, 06:01 AM
Black Metal Martha

Mary Malmros wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Oooh. Is this an invitation to share our nastiest-ever falls?

Not from me it wasn't, as I doubt anyone posting here is going to

come

up with anything even approaching what Rahlves did. But anything's

launching pad if you know what you want to talk about.

I certainly wasn't meaning to turn this into a contest. His fall
reminded me of my nasty one over the weekend.

And yes, his was much worse, though I think I slightly pulled a

muscle.

I heard his lower leg was too swollen to get his foot in a ski boot

;-)

your muscle pull, besides the "oooooooh! ewwww!" factor of that
crash, I was really amazed that big ol' contusions were more or less

the
extent of his injuries, and that he didn't break, sprain, rupture, or

dislocate anything. I bet conditioning has a lot to do with that.
Makes that time in the gym seem pretty worthwhile, huh?

(and I was most impressed at the spectator screams and the way he
annihilated that airwall)

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

It was wild. Conditioning has a lot to do with it. Also, he's young
enough to take the harder falls better than those of us who are a tad
older.

I'm in decent shape. I've been in better shape; I could stand to lose
10 pounds, and I'm working on that. Getting a better job with more same
hours will help as well.

I used to run distance races. I've ran a couple marathons and a whole
mess of halfs. There was a fine line between getting the right amount
of training and conditioning and over training where injuries sort of
seek you out. If you'll notice, a lot of professional athletes haven't
found that line.

As to my injury, I must have torn (or extremely bruised) a muscle next
to my rib cage. Don't worry; it only hurts when I breathe, laugh, move.

Martha

Old January 26th 05, 06:50 PM
JQ

(snip)

It was wild. Conditioning has a lot to do with it. Also, he's young
enough to take the harder falls better than those of us who are a tad
older.

I'm in decent shape. I've been in better shape; I could stand to lose
10 pounds, and I'm working on that. Getting a better job with more same
hours will help as well.

I used to run distance races. I've ran a couple marathons and a whole
mess of halfs. There was a fine line between getting the right amount
of training and conditioning and over training where injuries sort of
seek you out. If you'll notice, a lot of professional athletes haven't
found that line.

As to my injury, I must have torn (or extremely bruised) a muscle next
to my rib cage. Don't worry; it only hurts when I breathe, laugh, move.

Martha

I too was a middle distance runner on a national level. Back in the day
when I was a runner the theme was, "pain made you stronger" so we trained as
hard as we could through injury and all. I had two knee operations on each
knee and now I am a candidate for total knee replacements. I ski in pain
with knee braces and cannot do anything that is over low impact.

But to the real reason I am replying, Martha from your description of your
injury you may have fractured a rib. It is probably a hair line fracture
and there isn't much you can do for it. At one time they used to put a wrap
around the chest to help keep it compressed but that lead to pneumonia, so
now the treatment is take Tylenol for pain relief. You will need to breathe
deeply as this will help keep you from developing fluid build up in the
lungs causing pneumonia.

JQ
Dancing on the edge