yes, another step-in--and boot--question

Old January 1st 04, 11:43 PM
Matthew Segal

Default yes, another step-in--and boot--question

I got a pair of Burton SIs three years ago (I only ride about 5 times a year
now that I'm a dad). I'm fairly happy with them (yeah, they clog a bit in
powder), but I've always had trouble with the boots. The ankle strap (built
into the boot) tends to dig into my foot. Size 11.5 was too big and size 11
(which I have) is really tight--my big toes are crammed and my feet tend to
get numb, even when the boots aren't that tightly tied. Yet I wouldn't say
my heel is exactly free of play/movement (it lifts 1/4 inch or so, I'm
guessing). I'm strictly into freeriding--no park stuff--and like to go fast.
I figured that's the price of performance, because I'd been assured that SIs
provide more control over the board (I have a Custom). I was shocked to hear
from Sports Chalet (a big West Coast chain) that step-ins were being
discontinued by most companies. The chain doesn't carry any, in fact--one
sales guy said they're unsafe; another said they don't provide "enough
support." Here are my questions:

1. Are step-ins definitively less responsive than strap bindings, or is it a
matter of taste? (I know there's raging debate about this; I'm hoping for a
fairly objective answer),
2. Are step-ins less safe? (Assuming I make sure they're fully engaged each
time I ride.)
2. Most important, just how uncomfortable/tight-fitting should a pair of
boots be? I'd rather get a little numb and deal with toe pain than slop
around inside the boot.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:28 AM
ex

Well, it's usually personal preference. I never really liked step-ins
myself, becuase they usually make the boot and board in general heavier.
Usually step-ins come with a high-back, which gives support to the boot. So
I wouldn't see it as less responsive. I can see how they may be unsafe, but
you'd have to call ski's unsafe too.

For the boot problem, go into a pro-shop or whatever you call them (that
specializes in skiing/snowboarding). I went threw 3 pairs of boots. All of
them were giving me horrible feet pain, or were too big for my bindings.
Then I went to a local shop and had a liner heat molded and everything. No
more pain. Also, the people knew what they were talking about because they
snowboarded themselves. I'd highly recommend you go to a pro shop because
they'll be able to do more with a boot then if you got it at say a outlet
store. And like I said, these guys ride, too.

Hopefully that helps you out a bit,
Todd

---

Old January 2nd 04, 07:48 AM
WeatherCam

Re your stepin question...I've been riding clickers for the past 5 years and
lost all my equipment in a house fire in Aug 2003 - lving in the UK I'd say
choice not as big as the US especially re Clickers - so basically no
retailer is stocking K2 clickers this year, the same goes for Nitro.

That left me with a problem as to what system to opt for.....I also lost my
snowshoes etc - so after a bit of investigation I went for a complete
touring package by Deeluxe , bought in France when I went over pre Xmas -
this comprised 90cm short approach skis with skins with Dynafit touring
alpine ski bindings - so the boots were Deeluxe as well, as they have the
special "Lugs" in the toe to fit the Dynafit bindings - so with this setup I
thought I'd have to go straps......however I went with "Flows" - quite a bit
heavier, but the model I went for, was more oreintated to Freeriding and I
really found it was almost like a hard boot steup with superb repsonse,
carving the board I imagined I could have been on a carver!!And so easy to
get in and out, especially in fresh falling snow when my other half was
having problems with her clickers!!

As for boot fitting - I have nighthmare feet - my feet should be 28 Mondo -
but we tried that boot and no way after a days riding, then went for a 29
but also put an insole in which reduced inner boot which is therma fit -
cooked the inner for 20 mins and then put the in sole in and walked around
for 30 mins whilst the whole lot moulded and the nezt day pure bliss!!!

Regards
WC

Old January 2nd 04, 01:57 PM
Chet Hayes

I learned to ride with K2 clicker flat style step-ins and Shimano
Skylord boots. The step-ins made the whole learning process so much
easier. I continued to use them for 4 years, until my Burton Custom
was stolen at Killington, VT last year.

So, this year I transitioned to strap bindings, going with Drake LTD
and Vans Contra boots. I had observed the same thing the OP did,
which is few stores were carrying step-ins and choices were very
limited. I had also demoed strap type end of last season and liked
them a lot.

The debate over the merits of the types of bindings has gone on a long
time. I think a large part of the problem is it's hard to compare
apples to apples. For example, in my case, my old step in boots had
quite a bit of heel lift. The demo gear and my new gear fit extremely
well. That difference alone was more substantial than any subtle
difference in the binding.

That said, here's my opinion. Given that everything fits as it
should, I think strap type bindings do keep your foot a little tighter
in place on the board, primarily do to the straps tightening the boot
down around your foot. That translates into the more responsiveness
factor.

As for safety, I don't think that is an issue. I've never heard of a
step-in coming loose once attached correctly.

I agree with the previous advice regarding getting your boots to fit.
A quarter of an inch is a lot of heel lift. If you can find a good
shop, they may be able to at least make them fit better. For example,
for heel lift, small wedges can be placed under the heel of the
footbed, in effect, pre-raising the heel.

In the end however, the best solution by far is to find a pair of
boots that fit to begin with. While trying on boots, I was amazed at
how different one model vs another would be, even from the same
manufacturer. I can tell you, however, that the right boot should be
very comfortable. My new contra's are so comfortable, I feel fine
wearing them at the bar during breaks and don't even realize I have
them on. On the slopes, they are nice and tight, no heel lift at all.

And finally, if you're buying new boots, check out the ones from Vans
and DC boots that have the BOA lacing system. It uses a cable and
ratchet instead of laces. It's totally awesome, I'd never go back to
regular laces again. Among the features:

they go on and tighten in a fraction of the time of regular laces
you can tighten them more with the turn of the knob, even when on the
lift
they tighten uniformly down the boot, no bunching of the laces
they loosen with a pull of the knob

any boot advice? ex Snowboarding 5 March 16th 05 03:12 AM
ski travel question moon General 1 January 27th 04 09:25 PM
Boot Info and Basic Tuning Needed Nick General 0 December 10th 03 02:32 AM
Forward Lean Question - w/ new Ride bindings toddjb Snowboarding 5 December 9th 03 03:36 PM
Question on new boot fit (off slope) toddjb Snowboarding 1 October 9th 03 03:55 PM